Longer cranks.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
roger72

Longer cranks.

Post by roger72 »

I have 3 road bikes all with 170 cranks,would I gain anything if I moved up to 172.5 or175 cranks.I have a 32" inside leg measurement but bearing in mind I am in my late 70,s would it do my knees any good. THANK YOU for all of your helpful and witty comments,I have decided to stay with the 170 cranks and save my knees.
Last edited by roger72 on 2 Aug 2018, 7:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Re: Longer cranks.

Post by Nigel »

I ride bikes with cranks which vary between 170 and 175. I really don't notice the difference in the cranks, the differences are other factors in the bikes (weight, riding position, tyre size, etc., etc. ).

So, my guess is you'd not notice anything other than a reduced bank balance.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

With a lighter wallet you could go faster

Shorter cranks are available too, you could search these fora for info

Certainly could be some "marginal gains" to be had with shorter or longer cranks, or even different lengths left and right
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you have got to 70 with good knees you would be mad to start tinkering now.
Debs

Post by Debs »

roger72 wrote:I have 3 road bikes all with 170 cranks,would I gain anything if I moved up to 172.5 or175 cranks.I have a 32" inside leg measurement but bearing in mind I am in my late 70,s would it do my knees any good.

It won't do your knees any favours.

Crank length seems to be a personal thing; my inside leg is also around 32" and although i've happily used 172.5 cranks for many of my younger years, i found with age comes arthritis and knee soreness with the 172.5 size, and which progressively came on feeling more and more wrong as i aged in my late 50s, and after downsizing to 170 mm cranks found it far easier to spin at a more appropriate cadence [90+ rpm] and my dodgy knee joint problems have cleared up completely.
peetee

Post by peetee »

pwa wrote:If you have got to 70 with good knees you would be mad to start tinkering now.

Absolutely agree.

And while we are on the subject does anyone have any low milage, well behaved and reliable knees going spare?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.