Gearing again

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
molzor

Re: Gearing again

Postby molzor » 28 Aug 2018, 4:40pm

Brucey wrote:
molzor wrote: ...... I dont know why they are stocking "round the world" tour de fer bikes with this gearing.....

because shimano don't make a suitable product that gives you low gears on a road bike. It is as if they have a corporate blind spot.

In fact things have been getting worse, in that their 'road triple' chainsets used to be able to take a much smaller chainring (even if they came with a 30T attached) but now they don't....

cheers

This is true, but other companies seem to just use a blend of 9 speed road and mtb parts. I shouldve bought one of those, I see no real benefit in having 10 speed over 9, and other bikes were cheaper than my genesis too!

Anyway, thats for another thread.

Ross K

Re: Gearing again

Postby Ross K » 28 Aug 2018, 4:56pm

Brucey wrote:
because shimano don't make a suitable product that gives you low gears on a road bike. It is as if they have a corporate blind spot.

In fact things have been getting worse, in that their 'road triple' chainsets used to be able to take a much smaller chainring (even if they came with a 30T attached) but now they don't....

cheers

It's true, but hopefully Shimano will eventually launch a competitor product to the new segment that they're calling "super compact".

In the meantime, as I've done, you have to modify an old 5703, which has a 74 BCD inner allowing sub-30 tooth rings (or other earlier 74 BCD Shimano triples). Other later Shimano triples (Ultegra and Dura Ace) moved to a 94 BCD inner, where 30T is the smallest ring available, as you allude to.