Gearing again

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djnotts

Re: Gearing again

Post by djnotts »

If you are quick - this looks standard 5 bolt inner to me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tiag ... Swf6pbXfQa
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

10s deore mech won't work with Tiagra 10s shifters. The only mechs that are compatible with these shifters are 4700 ones and 'road' 11s ones.

I used a Deore XT 9 speed derailer with my Ultegra 10 speed shifters when I put a bigger cassette on. Worked fine on LeJoG.
I believe that a 9 speed cassette is wider than a 10 speed so there is enough movement. My derailer cost less than a tenner second hand.
hondated

Post by hondated »

molzor wrote:
hondated wrote:
molzor wrote:Hello,

I currently have a 4700 10 speed triple tiagra groupset. Im thinking about swapping the crankset for something like a deore triple mtb crank.

I have weak legs and struggle on the hills with a minimum 30t on the front when the bike is loaded.

You can get deore triples with a 22 or a 26 but could there be any compatibility issues here? Im trying to read about chainlines and stuff but i don't fully know what im doing.

Thanks for the help!

Been here bought the T shirt etc Had my bike built with 40-30-22 as I thought I would be climbing many mountains but never have at least not on this bike.
So decided to replace it with 42-32-24 but it still felt like hard work so I then fitted 48-36-26 but still didnt feel right.

Needing advice I posted on here and also sent a pm to a couple of our learned brethren and then decided to buy a Stronglight Impact from 46-36-26 from Spa.
I of cause had to change from Hollowtech BB ut after one mistake I got the correct length BB after talking to Spa.
It cost a few bob to sort out but I have to say its been worth it as I mainly use the two big chain rings and the smaller one is my get me out of jail card. I should however add I have a 11 -34 on the back.
As I always say with anyone with these issues if your near Eastbourne come down and we can try the variations.
If you do decide to stick with Hollowtech and want a 48-36-26 CS Black Deore I have one for sale with BB in its box.

Good luck whatever you do.

Very useful post. The stronglight and bottom bracket sounds like the best option i guess. It isnt cheap though at 125 plus the bb

This is what I was looking at using...
https://www.rosebikes.com/shimano-deore ... et-2659081

I did also notice you mention fitting a 34t cassette. I did consider that but the tiagra rear derailleur maunual says it is ok for 34 on a double chainset, but only 32T with a triple!

Shame you don't live near me because I have a Desire FC- M590 Black 48-36-26 with BB just fitted on bike & removed but I think secure posting costs wouldn't make viable to sell to you.
Why I don't know but for some reason after being advised by various forum members the 46t chain ring was the answer to my problems. The 48t just felt too hard and the 44t got me spinning too much. I think your right about the 32t rear sprocket and without looking I think that's what it is rather than a 34t.
Got to admit even though gearing is about right now the electric bikes are looking very attractive to me.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gxaustin wrote:
10s deore mech won't work with Tiagra 10s shifters. The only mechs that are compatible with these shifters are 4700 ones and 'road' 11s ones.

I used a Deore XT 9 speed derailer with my Ultegra 10 speed shifters when I put a bigger cassette on. Worked fine on LeJoG.
I believe that a 9 speed cassette is wider than a 10 speed so there is enough movement...

yup that works fine. Although 9s mechs work on 10s setups (unless you have tiagra 4700 shifters, which are different), the cassette widths are not quite as you suppose; the 10s cassette is fractionally shorter on the freehub body, but is actually wider becuase the #1 sprocket is dished, so the mech has to move a bit further.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

I just built up a bike from scratch, as a 'touring' bike. I've put that in quotes because I don't intend to tour on it, but like the geometry and the ability to carry stuff.

I deliberately set out for a wide gear range. My set up is:

Brifters and derailleurs are all Shimano Sora, latest version.

Chainset 48/38/28, 165 cranks (which is short, for me, at 5' 10") Spa Cycles. This one - https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset

Cassette - Shimano HG400, 11-34.

Rear derailleur is Sora GS, which they call 'medium', though I don't think they do a 'long' in Sora. It has a capacity of 43, which if you do the sums I'm right on the limit.

That gives me a gear inch range of 22-117 (on 700c x 32 wheels).

So last night I wanted to test that bottom gear. I went out in the Hebridean rain, and more importantly, wind, and JUST got up hill which has a few short 15% sections.

Bear in mind that I'm 60, not unhealthy, but definitely NOT an experienced cyclist, or sport fit (I don't do ANY sport). I was cursing and swearing up the hill, and the main thing that got me up it was telling it - "you're just a stupid f*****g hill, you b*****d". The bike is a heavy steel tourer, I weigh 170 lbs. I wasn't carrying any luggage, but I was going head on into a pretty strong south westerly wind. Where I am if you look west the next thing you see is Canada. Ideally I would have liked something even lower than 22 inches. But I did it. And a bit more fitness would have gone a long way.

Hope that gives you a clue to gear range.
hondated

Post by hondated »

mikeymo wrote:
Bear in mind that I'm 60, not unhealthy, but definitely NOT an experienced cyclist, or sport fit (I don't do ANY sport). I was cursing and swearing up the hill, and the main thing that got me up it was telling it - "you're just a stupid f*****g hill, you b*****d".

You could say you were cycling up the Blue Mountains then :lol:
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

hondated wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Bear in mind that I'm 60, not unhealthy, but definitely NOT an experienced cyclist, or sport fit (I don't do ANY sport). I was cursing and swearing up the hill, and the main thing that got me up it was telling it - "you're just a stupid f*****g hill, you b*****d".

You could say you were cycling up the Blue Mountains then :lol:

Something like that. At least there were only some startled sheep around to hear me cursing, as anybody with any sense was safe indoors.
molzor

Post by molzor »

djnotts wrote:If you are quick - this looks standard 5 bolt inner to me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tiag ... Swf6pbXfQa

Thats super cheap! So cheap im suspicious haha
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Although 9s mechs work on 10s setups (unless you have tiagra 4700 shifters, which are different), the cassette widths are not quite as you suppose; the 10s cassette is fractionally shorter on the freehub body, but is actually wider becuase the #1 sprocket is dished, so the mech has to move a bit further.

That's very interesting.
molzor

Post by molzor »

im getting closer...

Thinking about one of these...
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=3052 at 170mm
paired with this
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=140 at 113mm

They seem to have a road line, and i can get 46/36/26 or 46/34/24

The front derailleur has a capacity of 20T so the first option might be best? 24T would obviously be nice though

I assume there are no problems in using a 46T under my tiagra derailleur?
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

molzor wrote:im getting closer...

Thinking about one of these...
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=3052 at 170mm
paired with this
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=140 at 113mm

They seem to have a road line, and i can get 46/36/26 or 46/34/24

The front derailleur has a capacity of 20T so the first option might be best? 24T would obviously be nice though

I assume there are no problems in using a 46T under my tiagra derailleur?

You might have a read of this thread:-
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123464
I fitted a Spa TD2 chainset with 48/38/28 to my old bike which came with 52/42/30. It's a Tiagra 9 speed but from 2002 or thereabouts so not quite like yours. Make sure you are able to lower the front derailleur and measure the distance between the bottom of the derallieur cage and the chainstay. You need a clearance of 2 mm for each 1T you are changing by. If you are going from 50/39/30 to 46/35/26 which is a reduction of 4T then you need to have a clearance of 8 mm since you may need to drop the derailleur by about that distance. Note that this bodging we are doing is not an exact science and some fiddling may be needed; I certainly had to.
molzor

Post by molzor »

WELL

I bought that spa chainset but after a lot of faffing about, and a trip to the bike shop... it just wont work. Everything should be compatible, but i just dont know.

Im having to put in a hell of a lot of tension to get it to shift and the shifting is really stiff. Too stiff to use really.

I have changed both inner and outer cables.. checked the shifter itself with no tension, checked the front mech itself, seems fine but the outer limit screw is pretty far out.

All I can think is its not compatible somehow.

Any other ideas what the problem could be? before i put the old chainset back on and give up?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the chanline is too wide you may be beyond the limit of the FD. What is your chainline?

Does the FD match the intervals on the chainrings?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
molzor

Post by molzor »

Yep, looks like the chainline is off.

the front mech specifies 45mm, mine with this bb and crankset looks closer to 50mm.

Spa assured me that this crankset was ok with my road chainline! thats why i bought it!

How frustrating.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

molzor wrote:Yep, looks like the chainline is off.

the front mech specifies 45mm, mine with this bb and crankset looks closer to 50mm.

Spa assured me that this crankset was ok with my road chainline! thats why i bought it!

How frustrating.

A few thoughts .....
Which chainset and which BB do you have?
I have a TD2 triple with a 113 mm BB and the chainlline, measured from the middle ring to the centre of the downtube is 45 mm as far as I can measure using a simple rule.
Did you buy a new BB?
Was the length printed on the BB what you expected it to be?
Did you reset the height of the derallieur as I explained?

Edit:
You could also measure the width of the BB shell on the bike in case for some reason it's non-standard. I think that should be 68 mm.