Lubricating STI levers - I've never done it !

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Lubricating STI levers - I've never done it !

Post by hondated »

Went out early this morning , weather was just right bike felt ok and I was feeling good and then for some reason I got to thinking about my STI levers. They're operating ok on all of the bikes I own but not once over the years have I ever applied any form of lubricant to them. Have I just been lucky ! or is it something I should do !.
Be interested to learn of your opinions. :D
Last edited by Graham on 6 Aug 2018, 8:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
tim-b

Re: Never done it !

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I try to avoid cycling when it's properly raining, occasionally I get caught, but I do cycle all year round and an annual squirt of GT85 doesn't seem to cause a problem
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
hondated

Post by hondated »

tim-b wrote:Hi
I try to avoid cycling when it's properly raining, occasionally I get caught, but I do cycle all year round and an annual squirt of GT85 doesn't seem to cause a problem
Regards
tim-b

Thanks Tim I will do that.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The only times my STI units have seen lube is when I put new cables in and when a few years back I rode without gloves for a few days and the hoods became sticky and a wipe down of the hoods with GT85 got rid of the sticky feeling.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Redvee wrote:The only times my STI units have seen lube is when I put new cables in

Same here. Although I have been known to lube them on the occasion that they are are a bit sluggish. If lube doesn't fix it, I replace them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is there any instructions from Shimano to say to lube STIs?

Nothing on the Campag website about lubing Ergos.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Re: Lubricating STI levers - I've never done it !

Post by LollyKat »

I think either Reohn2 or Brucey (or both) have mentioned squirting them occasionally with "semi-fluid grease", whatever that is...
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone seems I haven't been as remiss as I thought I had been.
1066enthalpies1939

Post by 1066enthalpies1939 »

hondated wrote:Went out early this morning , weather was just right bike felt ok and I was feeling good and then for some reason I got to thinking about my STI levers. They're operating ok on all of the bikes I own but not once over the years have I ever applied any form of lubricant to them. Have I just been lucky ! or is it something I should do !.

Lubrication of STI Leaver
IMHO
Failure to lubricate these leavers or having gear cabling that is not smooth will place undue strain on the racket mechanisms within the lever.
This will put undue strain on the racket mechanisms will result in premature wear and will result in non- synchronization of the gears

Unless you have the most expensive Campag STI leavers they non-repairable unless you have mechanic skills and facilities.

In term of lubrication I recommend either Silicon semi fluid grease or spay.

The use of the following is not a good idea:

WD40 this most solvent and dries out and reacts poorly with some outer cables
GT85 Ditto
TF2 does not lubricate so well etc?
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

I don't know about the current STI levers, but typically the grease hardens in them and they exhibit balky shifting, typically to higher gears. A fix is to remove and soak them in an ultrasonic cleaner and relube with something like Boeshield, or spray copious amounts of WD40 in them to free up the mechanism. I wouldn't do anything to lube them unless they start showing problems though. Maybe Shimano is now using a better grease that doesn't harden up over time.
hondated

Post by hondated »

1066enthalpies1939 wrote:
hondated wrote:Went out early this morning , weather was just right bike felt ok and I was feeling good and then for some reason I got to thinking about my STI levers. They're operating ok on all of the bikes I own but not once over the years have I ever applied any form of lubricant to them. Have I just been lucky ! or is it something I should do !.

Lubrication of STI Leaver
IMHO
Failure to lubricate these leavers or having gear cabling that is not smooth will place undue strain on the racket mechanisms within the lever.
This will put undue strain on the racket mechanisms will result in premature wear and will result in non- synchronization of the gears

Unless you have the most expensive Campag STI leavers they non-repairable unless you have mechanic skills and facilities.

In term of lubrication I recommend either Silicon semi fluid grease or spay.

The use of the following is not a good idea:

WD40 this most solvent and dries out and reacts poorly with some outer cables
GT85 Ditto
TF2 does not lubricate so well etc?

Interesting you should say that as they are Campag Veloce Triple Levers and I have often thought what will happen when they need replacing.
hondated

Post by hondated »

MikeDee wrote:I don't know about the current STI levers, but typically the grease hardens in them and they exhibit balky shifting, typically to higher gears. A fix is to remove and soak them in an ultrasonic cleaner and relube with something like Boeshield, or spray copious amounts of WD40 in them to free up the mechanism. I wouldn't do anything to lube them unless they start showing problems though. Maybe Shimano is now using a better grease that doesn't harden up over time.

Thank you it does seem I will be better to leave them alone rather than create a problem. My wife doesn't inspire me with confidence when I do try and repair anything as she just says "Oh well that will shortly be in the bin then ". Dont you just love em.