TRP Spyre Disc Brakes - Not Impressed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TooManyBikes

Re: TRP Spyre Disc Brakes - Not Impressed.

Post by TooManyBikes »

Interesting stuff Brucey, I have noticed that discs when new seem to have been ground or sanded flat in a straight direction rather than a rotational direction, although the surface finish is usually very fine. is flipping the disc occasionally (so inner is now outer) any help in combatting judder do you think? disc noise is not that big a problem I find, and can be helpful in alerting others of your presence, but judder is more annoying. also is the slight directional curve or lean, of a discs 'spokes' if that's the right term actually making any real difference to judder? hope you get what I mean by that :)
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the disc spokes should always be mounted as indicated. I confess I don't fully understand why but if it didn't matter they wouldn't all be made the same way; the periphery of the disc has to be able to expand whilst withstanding the brake torque in the least destructive fashion.

Most discs are surface ground to a given thickness; in good quality discs (like Hope ones) this is done in combination with a stress relief heat treatment, but in cheaper discs it may not be, hence the disc may be less flat when it is manufactured. Normally the bedding-in process takes out the worst of the 'grain' in the surface of the disc material, but in some cases it may persist longer.

If you want to have cheap 'known good' discs to fit when a current set expires, run each of the new discs on the rear of the bike for a while (if they are the same size of course...) and then put them to one side; they should work fine as front discs and need much less bedding in when the time comes to fit them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

An Update

Well it has taken some time to make any progress as work, life and a short touring ride in Portugal got in the way (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 21322&v=4a). I ordered some of the yellow sintered pads from Discobrakes, https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=100&tb=001 and these are a definite improvement over the stock pads.

My first ride was yesterday, and initially they were really rubbish, but after some hard braking to bed them in, they are now much better. At one point an emergency stop from 30kph actually had the rear wheel locking up! They do need quite a bit of a squeeze on the levers, but I think they will stop in most conditions. They are more progressive than the V brakes on my other bike which bite and slow the bike rather quickly, so perhaps I just need to be prepared to put a bit more effort in to get the braking force.

I will give them another ride or two to get a good impression of them and then I'll swap the cable outers for some Jagwire compressionless ones I have ready and waiting.

More to follow.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham O wrote:An Update

Well it has taken some time to make any progress as work, life and a short touring ride in Portugal got in the way (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 21322&v=4a). I ordered some of the yellow sintered pads from Discobrakes, https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=100&tb=001 and these are a definite improvement over the stock pads.

My first ride was yesterday, and initially they were really rubbish, but after some hard braking to bed them in, they are now much better. At one point an emergency stop from 30kph actually had the rear wheel locking up! They do need quite a bit of a squeeze on the levers, but I think they will stop in most conditions. They are more progressive than the V brakes on my other bike which bite and slow the bike rather quickly, so perhaps I just need to be prepared to put a bit more effort in to get the braking force.

I will give them another ride or two to get a good impression of them and then I'll swap the cable outers for some Jagwire compressionless ones I have ready and waiting.

More to follow.

If you've only ridden them once there's scope for improvement,I reckon 100 to 200miles before they'll be at optimum performance level,however really mucky wet rides will speed up the process.
I prefer sintered pads as they not only last much longer the organics but IME brake better.
I realise that sintered are commonly termed not as powerful as organics but my experience is opposite.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden