Do I need a new chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alienmuppet

Do I need a new chain?

Post by alienmuppet »

I've just noticed why the gears are behaving strangely on my bike... see the image attached. How it got me home I don't know! It sure has stretched the link that is holding on for dear life!

Anyway - do I need a whole new chain or can it be repaired with a couple of new links? I'm currently thinking new chain.

I ask because I've never had to replace a chain before.. Not even sure what size I will need, etc..

It's on a Canonndale CAADX 105 (2014 or 2015 I think).

Still.. can't believe how that chain held on!
Attachments
ChainBreak.JPG
le.voyageur

Re: Do I need a new chain?

Post by le.voyageur »

Dont think that's a stetched link, it's the space in the removable link to allow it to be disconnected.
It looks like the inside of the removable has snapped as it's hanging down on the inside.
haev a look here.
https://www.parktool.com/product/master ... rs-mlp-1-2

Buy a new removable link and plop it in and see how you get on. They're speed and manufacturere specific, e.g. 9 speed Shimano or 10 speed Campag. I wouldn't ride it will the link is replaced.

You might need a new chain but a master/removable link should get you back on the road.
good luck
alienmuppet

Post by alienmuppet »

Looking at the prices, it might be prudent to just get a new one. I'm not sure how much abuse the bike had before I purchased it ... :shock:
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

The link is meant to look like that(without the snapped bit of course)I've done 1000s of miles over the years with SRAM Powerlinks and never snapped one!Probably not installed properly.

You'll probably be OK with a new powerlink.Just make sure you get the correct speed(9/10/11 etc)SRAM/KMC will also fit Shimano chains.
alienmuppet wrote:Thanks :D
Looking at the prices, it might be prudent to just get a new one. I'm not sure how much abuse the bike had before I purchased it ... :shock:

Bear in mind if the chain is quite old then a new chain will probably skip on the cassette.Once a chain and cassette wear together it's new chain,cassette and possibly front rings too!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Measure the chain across 12 links, if it’s stretched less than 1/8 it’s ok1/8 to 1/4 new chain, if it’s above a1/4 you will need a new chain and sprockets . Second part of this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5okJdYrANt8

NUKe
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

alienmuppet wrote:I've just noticed why the gears are behaving strangely on my bike... see the image attached. How it got me home I don't know! It sure has stretched the link that is holding on for dear life!

since there is nothing obviously wrong with the QL, the trouble with the gear shifting etc may well lie elsewhere.

By all means replace the whole chain if it is a bit worn (if a new one will run on the worn sprockets it is a very good idea to replace it now since it will slow the wear on the (more expensive) sprockets and chainrings) but in just replacing the QL you are treating a 'symptom' that may not even exist for the reason you suppose.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alienmuppet

Post by alienmuppet »

Hmm, it is spot on 12" so looks like no wear at all.. :shock:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

alienmuppet wrote:Hmm, it is spot on 12" so looks like no wear at all.. :shock:

Then just get a quick link, they do break from time to time.

NUKe
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Brucey wrote:
since there is nothing obviously wrong with the QL, the trouble with the gear shifting etc may well lie elsewhere.

Take a look at the photo again Brucey I missed it well first time as well. It the other side of the Ql.[emoji851]

NUKe
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

I see what you mean!

Ah, there are so many things in life that are so one-sided.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I got one of those pesky things on my bike at the mo.
Also I got a sram chain too, the chain was so long and needed a magic link.
I will have to keep fingers crossed on both hands.
I use magic links only to get me home, and I never use a sram chain before.

Maybe the link will fail, chain drop off down nearest drain................. :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Maybe the link will fail, chain drop off down nearest drain................. :lol:

Pesky things?Possibly one of the best inventions of the last decade or so!The 10speed link on my Roadbike chain has done about 3000miles so far and I wouldn't use a chain without a Powerlink!
They're actually as good as a normal link.I used them on MTBs for years with no issues.They come as standard with SRAM chains(which I also prefer to Shimano).On my MTBs I used to take the chain off every couple of rides(9-speed)to clean it and re-used the links over and over...simples.Never had an issue.My mate has three Powerlinks in his MTB chain at the moment :wink:
RickH

Post by RickH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I've used quicklinks on my bikes for over 10 years (except for an old 7 speed mountain bike that did very few miles in that time) & around 30,000 miles. Barring one KMC one, that came OEM on a new bike & broke in a similar manner to the one in the OP's picture. I've not had one fail.

With that failure, & I don't know how far I'd ridden with it broken (probably not far with it completely separated but probably some miles with it not fully intact), there was damage to the links either side - they had distorted - so a new chain was the order of the day. If I'd been out in the middle of nowhere (rather than on a train to a city where I knew the location of the bike shop nearest to the station) when I noticed the broken link, I would probably have fitted a new quicklink as a get-me-home & ridden carefully.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MikeDee

Do I need a new chain?

Post by MikeDee »

Another broken KMC link. After breaking a couple of them, I carry a spare. Going to another brand after wearing these out.
Last edited by MikeDee on 6 Aug 2018, 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

that upside-down photo really confused me