Compressionless brake housings for cable discs.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cunobelin

Re: Compressionless brake housings for cable discs.

Post by Cunobelin »

amediasatex wrote:You do seem have some kind of axe to grind as I've not seen anyone say anything about 'bents being dangerous on this thread or any other recent ones,

Really........here is a selection of the ones that you appear to have missed

But if she came to a halt behind a Rangerover and the driver of the tall car decided they needed to reverse and just had a quick look in the rear view mirror...... I'm not sure someone as low as in a deck chair would be seen as well as someone basically standing.

I suggested the scenario of having to do a quick dismount to get out of the way of a reversing Rangerover driver who can't see you in the rear view mirror.

But the point is that for me being lower and sat back feels more dangerous, whether it is or not. There is nothing spurious about avoiding stuff that feels dodgy

Yes, the more recent ones do, and over time you would expect things to improve because of that. The older ones do not allow the driver to see anything low down behind the car for quite some distance.

We associate a whole string of issues with them; such as invisibility in traffic, inability to do an emergency exit to avoid range rovers, etc;

Low riding position,which means I'm less noticeable in traffic(my percetion),I don't wish to be any nearer to car exhaust pipes than necessary.On hedged,and most banked and walled roads I'd have limited sitelines for both noseying over out of curiosity,seeing motor traffic and them seeing me.
Last edited by Cunobelin on 15 Aug 2018, 6:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

alexnharvey wrote:The problem with C, you see, is these little dots ....... that follow it, it's an unfinished proposition.

Cunobelin wrote:C: It has worked for thousands of miles and 30 years with no problems............

That indicates to me that you intend others to complete it by making an inference from the statement, yet you aren't willing to say what that is. Bizarre to invite people to make inferences from it then complain about it. It's not even a very good diversion.

As above, these are your own misinterpretations of my post to suit YOUR agenda. I have asked you to stop.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cunobelin wrote:
peetee wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Shame your memory doesn't remember page 3 and the recommendation for nokon cables for difficult cable runs, but then again as cables used for both brake and gears these will probably (not)kill thousands each year

That particular page 3 wasn't online two years ago when I tried that particular cable on what was a perfectly standard shaped and equipped road bike with no awkward cable routing issues. I bought the cables believing the compressionless nature of the design would improve the brake feel. What I have learned through reading this thread is that I probably didn't have a duff ca
ble brand and it was just A Bad Idea (TM). I will continue to do what I have done ( hundreds of times with no incidents or dramas) and that is to use top quality spiral wound outers that are properly trimmed and carefully routed and be happy with that.
If anybody wants to do different then that's up to them but if I could just ask that they do me the courtesy of letting me know they are out on a ride so that I can ensure they are neither behind me nor coming the opposite way. :wink:

But is has been ther before several of your posts, so that is a really rather silly claim... especially as in your own words...

I will continue to do what I have done ( hundreds of times with no incidents or dramas

Given the advice on this forum that recumbent trikes are also unsafe, does that apply as well?
:

I have made no claim that your method is unsafe. I have recounted a brake modification some years ago that did not go to plan and the reasons why. It should be clear to you, an avid reader of my posts, that I am working on more bikes than just my own. It would be irresponsible therefore to attempt to use any other brake cable than what I know to be reliable and as safe as is possible. My last comment was an attempt to lighten what has turned out to be a somewhat heated thread. If that comment has offended anyone, I appologise. But the clue was in the wink.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Are all of those recumbent related comments in this thread? If so I’ve genuinely missed them, possibly subconsciously skipped posts not related to brake outer, I’ll go back and have a read.

Either way that topic doesn’t seem relevant to brake outer so would suggest worthy of its own thread if people feel the need for further ‘bent discussion.

You’ve still not answered our other questions or clarified your position/point on gear outer though.

EDIT - you know what, I’m going to gracefully remove myself from further discussions on this thread, I don’t feel I’m gaining anything positive from further interaction and I’ve already made my position clear. Happy riding everyone!
Last edited by amediasatex on 15 Aug 2018, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

amediasatex wrote:Are all of those recumbent related comments in this thread? If so I’ve genuinely missed them, possibly subconsciously skipped posts not related to brake outer, I’ll go back and have a read.

amediasatex wrote:You do seem have some kind of axe to grind as I've not seen anyone say anything about 'bents being dangerous on this thread or any other recent ones, [/quote]

Ask and thou shalt receive.....

amediasatex wrote:Either way that topic doesn’t seem relevant to brake outer so would suggest worthy of its own thread if people feel the need for further ‘bent discussion.

You’ve still not answered our other questions or clarified your position/point on gear outer though.

Cunobelin wrote:C: It has worked for thousands of miles and 30 years with no problems............

Clearly states my position, however I cannot be held responsible for misinterpretations of that simple statement to suit personal agendas
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That must mean I'm a Victorian then! :D

I've done a quick measurement, and I'm fairly sure that my one metre will do the front section of the rear brake, and the whole of the front brake.
My plan, is to replace those and to leave the gear cable on the rear section of the rear brake. I'll put another layer of heatshrink on it.

Looking at the way the Jagwire will exit the 'bar tape and bend downwards, I think it will be ok stiffness-wise for the steering.

Having a cuppa now, but I'll be setting to within the hour. Stand by for an update later this morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ............................

Some of you will be pleased, but the length I earmarked for the front, is an inch or so too short. The front cable needs to be quite long as it's a long way down to the front calliper. The existing one is 25.5 inches long and TBH it could really do with being 26 inches.
The remaining length after doing the front section of the rear brake is only 24 inches and won't do for the front brake.
It could possibly reach but it's not worth it.

Therefore, the rear section of the rear brake is going to be the 14 inches of the Jagwire so that'll leave 10 inches over. I could maybe use 15 inches, so there's not much waste.

Future?
If I fancy it, I'll replace the front cable, but at this moment, I don't think it's worth it.
Mick F. Cornwall
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I find many eBay sellers are willing to send 1.5 metres for a 50% surcharge, unless they only have precut lengths. Most are cutting from a spool.
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

Brucey wrote:BTW grinding cable ends square whilst the housing is shaped into a curve that is similar to the final shape is my SOP. Makes most difference with gear and compressionless outer.

Tried this today with some old gear cable and I'm definitely going to be doing this from now on! Cheers for the tip Brucey. a square ground end which is then bent into a radius similar to the curve on some drop bars where the cables lie, distorts the strands into a point on the inner side of the bend, not ideal! grinding the end while in the final shape, or very similar produces way better results.
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well, I have a short length of my new Jagwire brake cable in front of me now, and I've bent it into a tight circle.
The total length of my off-cut is a tad over 8" long and the ends are as square as when I cut it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

30miles this morning.
Rear brake completely compressionless and front brake compressionable.

The brakes were wonderful.
Very happy indeed.

I came down Gunnislake hill on the way home, top speed 43mph, and had to join the slow traffic at the lights. Braking from that speed down to walking pace was brilliant efficient and effortless.
Mick F. Cornwall
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

I use the Jagwire outers and find the braking excellent.
zenitb

Illustration of gear cable failure when used as brake cable

Post by zenitb »

It is so long ago since I witnessed this failure I cannot provide any evidence of my own.. I am even struggling to remember which of my MTB friends ended up in this situation. So I was forced to google around. The URL below shows the dangers in using gear cables for your brakes....scroll down a few illustrations in the text to see the failure pic...

https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/buye ... ables.html

There is quite a helpful explanation in the text regarding the different constructions of gear and brake cables which explains the reasons...

You could imagine this arrangement working fine most of the time until a really hard, full power brake application was required.. of course this would be the worst possible time for the brakes to fail...
zenitb

Gear cable failure when used as brake cable..

Post by zenitb »

I have tried to pull the key bits out of the article above

[An illustration of the difference between the wire layers in brake and gear cable outers - and what can happen when a gear cable outer is used for braking. Picture: Jake Voelcker via Flickr]

https://www.aquabluesport.com/pub/media ... les_3_.jpg

Related text
"Conversely, gear cable outers cannot be used for brake cabling, as they aren’t designed for the forces involved: a recipe for failure..." (my emboldening)
"..So for these reasons – remember brake cables and outers are for braking only, and gear cables and outers solely for shifting. Comprende?"

source: https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/buye ... ables.html