Ortlieb bar bag mounting cable for adapter seized

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Blackredgold1964

Ortlieb bar bag mounting cable for adapter seized

Post by Blackredgold1964 »

Dear All,
The screw that is attached to the cable of the adapter for the bar bag is seized.

ortlieb adapter (600 x 450).jpg

Inside the adapter it’s fastened to a golden screw, brass perhaps.
I’d like to replace screw and cable with this, https://www.ortlieb.com/en/e167/.
Would anyone know how to remove the screw?
Regards
Blackredgold1964
Woodtourer

Re: Ortlieb bar bag mounting cable for adapter seized

Post by Woodtourer »

Here in the US we have a product called BD Blaster. It is fantastic for "breaking loose" fasteners that are stuck.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

AFAICR the ortlieb cable is sold as single use only so you should just cut the old cable off the bars.

Bin the Ortlieb mount and get a Ortlieb compatible Rixen and Kaul Klikfix.

I find it easier to use than the Ortlieb and it is fixed to the bars with four screws.
There is a cable provided which they say is extra protection in case the screws come loose but I have never used the cable.

I have one on our tandem and one on my single and removing /replacing the Ortlieb bar bag is easy as.

Mike
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mike_Ayling wrote:AFAICR the ortlieb cable is sold as single use only so you should just cut the old cable off the bars.

Bin the Ortlieb mount and get a Ortlieb compatible Rixen and Kaul Klikfix.

I find it easier to use than the Ortlieb and it is fixed to the bars with four screws.
There is a cable provided which they say is extra protection in case the screws come loose but I have never used the cable.

I have one on our tandem and one on my single and removing /replacing the Ortlieb bar bag is easy as.

Mike

I use mine to carry a DSLR and lenses. This was heavy enough to cause the beg to slip down, the cable also prevents this
boblo

Post by boblo »

Mine did that. A bit of soaking in wd40 sorted it. The cable is intended as single use but if you leave enough excess when you trim it, you can reuse it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

To actually answer the OP's question - i've had this more than once over the years myself and each time i've managed to drift the clamp out from below. If you have enough cable to grab above the clamp a determined grip and pull with big pliers will probably have a good chance too.

As others have said, the Rixen Kaul mounting block is compatible with Ortlieb and I have one on my 'default' tourer - rock solid, I do use the stabiliser cable but due to its fixing system i've not had the Ortlieb seizure issue. Not only that but you can still get a non locking version which is smaller, lighter and easier to use than the more bulky locking set up.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Blackredgold1964

Post by Blackredgold1964 »

Hello and thank you everyone for your replies.
I tried soaking with WD40 and Plusgas but the screw would not become undone. I think there was some misunderstanding - the silver hex screw you see from the front of the adapter did turn but the brass nut plus cable inside the adapter turned with it so I couldn't use force to loosen the screw.

I already mentally prepared for a new adapter, and agree that the R&K adapter is probably better then I thought I might as well completely ruin the adapter and take it apart. Voila, this exposes the golden brass nut and you can hold it tight and everything comes undone.

adapter undone (600 x 450).jpg
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I actually prefer the ortleib mount because locking the cable off once it has been fitted and tensioned prevents the bracket from moving either down or up. The RK mount relies on the screws alone to stop the clamp shifting upwards, while both the cable and screws prevent downward movement. I found that with the RK mount my bag would migrate upward with the mount when traversing rough terrain and I'd keep on having to push it back down again. The RK mount is easier to clip the bag onto though.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 11 Aug 2018, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

boblo wrote:Mine did that. A bit of soaking in wd40 sorted it. The cable is intended as single use but if you leave enough excess when you trim it, you can reuse it.

You can also use a brake or gear cable with the Rixen and Kaul version