little addendum to an old 'securi-clip' thread

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bob999

little addendum to an old 'securi-clip' thread

Post by Bob999 »

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91377&hilit=breakaway%2Fsnap+off+guards back in 2014, had a discussion about the usefulness of the clips on plastic mudguards for when something concertinas your front mudguard, jamming your wheel to an instant halt and propelling you over the top. I was reading it having just fitted metal mudguards with no emergency release - 'oops' I thought.

But reading on through the thread, contributor Bruce said attaching the stay further up the fork could help and contributor Colin said lowriders can effectively enable you to do that. Having the appropriate lowriders, I tried it. The photos below show roughly what happens, a photo of the stay attached to the fork eyelet and then with it attached to the lowrider, with a photo of each in the second column being sort of a "stick concertina emulation". Both using string and a clothes peg. I know I haven't rotated the string the same amount but 'as far as I can tell' (and I was the person asleep at the back of the class in geometry lessons) it's pretty conclusive, with the lowrider fixing the stay/mudguard actually moves away from the tyre as it goes round.

Having said that, I may well have something wrong and don't mind being told! But really I suppose I'm posting to say 'thank you' to the contributors.
Thanks.