Front platform rack

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Alan Frame

Front platform rack

Post by Alan Frame »

Hello,

I'm looking to fit a smallish platform type rack to the front of a Carrera Subway bike, so I need something which will mount to the fork crown brake bolt hole and to the threaded mounting point half way down the outside of the fork.

There appear to be loads of such racks designed for fitting the supports to brake mount bosses (which I don't have), but I can't find anything to attach to the fork itself, without resorting to expensive stuff which would be overkill on a cheap bike. The bike has disk brakes, so I want to avoid the faff of fitting to the mudguard mounts at the hub, plus I'm not looking for a big porteur style rack capable of carrying bags of spuds, just a neat, smallish rack for additional load capacity.

Do any of you knowledgeable people know of such a rack please?
Cunobelin

Re: Front platform rack

Post by Cunobelin »

Can I suggest the Nitto M118

Not cheap, and although changeable, I cannot guarantee that the two supports will fit your bosses
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Thank you for your reply. That is indeed the sort of thing I'm looking for, but being a cheapskate, I'm after something more akin to the cheapo brake boss mount versions that eBay is awash with, though I could probably push the boat out to about £30 for the right rack.
random37

Post by random37 »

How about a basket? If you replaced your axle with a nutted one, you could fit a basket support:

Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

I had toyed with the idea of a basket, but don't think my fragile ego could cope with the resultant mickey taking, as I look nothing like a young trendy thing, nor a District Nurse :D
Your image didn't work for me, so apologies if you linked to something more befitting of my image, maybe a skip or an industrial silo.
random37

Post by random37 »

The basket could be anything really. Wicker, steel, something you made out of wood. This was the bracket:

http://www.hobsoncycles.co.uk/p/3757/Ad ... cket-Black

All you'd need then is a way of attaching whatever was sat on the support to your handlebars.
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Thank you, that may well work. The DIY option sounds appealing as I could incorporate a front light, but if my previous DIY efforts are anything to go by, it would probably end up looking like a dog's dinner!
random37

Post by random37 »

halfway down those racks there is usually a tab which allows you to fix a light already.
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Thank you, that definitely gives me the option for me to codge something up, if I can't get anything off the shelf.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

what you are asking for is a Minoura rack for a small fraction of the price.

My suggestion; get a cheap one that mounts on the brake bosses, made from steel, and extend/modify it by welding bits on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Indeed a Minoura would be ideal, but sadly beyond my budget. The Frankenstein route is an option, though it won't look pretty with my limited skills.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Perhaps you could get the brake boss rack and use jubilee clips to attach the brake mounting points to the fork legs?

It's probably not what you are after, but I have the Steco head tube rack and I like it.
Alan Frame

Post by Alan Frame »

Thank you for the replies.

In the end, a chance discovery in the back of the shed has sent me off in a slightly different direction after finding a long-forgotten Tortec low rider rack. Even though it doesn't have the platform I was originally looking for, I'll use it for now and chuck a pannier or two on it as required.