Do I need a new cassette and/or chain ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxyrider

Re: Do I need a new cassette?

Post by foxyrider »

mnichols wrote:Thanks I get through a lot of chains and cassettes. I seem to wear them out quickly. I'm doing about 8,000 miles a year - I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last

Will depend on the quality

On the best bike I'm currently still using a Campag Super Record Cassette which has @ 8000km on it - through I think 3 KMC XL chains. Cost - exorbitant, prob over £600!

OTOH I get through a fair number of chains and mid priced cassettes on my other bikes, usually in about a 3:1 ratio. My daily commute bike used to get through about a set each year with the abuse that a commuter gets - I expect but don't always get more on my better maintained machines.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Salty Seadog wrote:There is an often quoted rule of thumb that is 3 chains to 1 cassette.

+1 :)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

foxyrider wrote:On the best bike I'm currently still using a Campag Super Record Cassette which has @ 8000km on it - through I think 3 KMC XL chains. Cost - exorbitant, prob over £600!.

I must be reading that wrong, that can't be £600 for a cassette...can it?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm still using an 8sp Shimano HG51 cassette after 11000 miles. Changed chains about 4 times I think, but I very rarely clean the chains. :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mnichols wrote:
foxyrider wrote:On the best bike I'm currently still using a Campag Super Record Cassette which has @ 8000km on it - through I think 3 KMC XL chains. Cost - exorbitant, prob over £600!.

I must be reading that wrong, that can't be £600 for a cassette...can it?

Nope you're not seeing things.

The cassette is @ £450, chains @ £60

By past experience I would have spent about the same on cheaper components over the same period but without the weight saving (minimal gains I know but it's @ 200g
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Salty Seadog wrote:There is an often quoted rule of thumb that is 3 chains to 1 cassette.

The trouble is that if you put a new chain on an old cassette it invariably slips, until the two re synchronise / mesh. This damages the new chain which shortens its life, in turn it kills the cassette at an accelerated rate. It’s actually a false economy to put a new chain on an old cassette.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

The trouble is that if you put a new chain on an old cassette it invariably slips, until the two re synchronise / mesh. This damages the new chain which shortens its life, in turn it kills the cassette at an accelerated rate. It’s actually a false economy to put a new chain on an old cassette.

Only if you do it too late. Let's face it, we all want stuff to last forever at the lowest cost. You could run a chain to death, kill the cassette and replace both or try to maximise the overall mileage at the lowest cost.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Nope. Change the chain before it wears the cassette. Here is a link about a cassette I have been using since at least 2011, and I reckon it'll do another winter....https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116834&p=1158716&hilit=chain#p1158716
I have done another photo recently, I must get round to posting it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

+1

IIRC one poster here has had a cassette last over 25000 miles, no slipping, just with the chain replaced at regular intervals.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've installed the new chain tonight and run it up and down the block in the stand and it seems fine

I've taken out for 15 minutes and seems ok. I live at the bottom of a 10% hill so I just went up that and ran it up and down the gears and seems ok

I'll take a chance on the weekend

Do you need to lube a new Shimano chain? It seems to be prelubed (outside anyway)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the chain should be impregnated with grease. If so it won't need any extra lube for a few hundred (dry) miles

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I normally do 2 chains to one cassette. I fit chain then do short 'testing' ride. Usually up a fairly steep hill so putting plenty of load on the system.

As said above, you may only have a few favourites in the cluster. Mine are 6 and 3 (1 being lowest). For some reason these are the gears I ride most in. This doesn't take a lot of testing.

One other factor is where and how it has been ridden. If harsh dusty or wet touring then I'm more likely to go for an earlier than usual chain change or even a double change. Why risk it when heading into the unknown.

In your case, are you changing the chain after an Indian Himalayan trip? Was it hard and dirty?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

simonhill wrote:In your case, are you changing the chain after an Indian Himalayan trip?

No I took a different bike

simonhill wrote:Was it hard and dirty?

Not sure how to answer that and keep the moderators happy
Steve

Post by Steve »

If I was going on holiday/tour and at all unsure, I'd fit a new cassette for peace of mind, the old cassette can always go back on after the trip. But it sounds like you should be ok, if you've properly tested it on the road.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Steve wrote:If I was going on holiday/tour and at all unsure, I'd fit a new cassette for peace of mind, the old cassette can always go back on after the trip. But it sounds like you should be ok, if you've properly tested it on the road.

I'll see how I get on this weekend, if it skips at all then I'll change it.

I'm guessing that if it's going to skip it will do it in the first hundred or so miles rather than develop a problem after that?