Elops 100 Decathlon city bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
random37

Elops 100 Decathlon city bike

Post by random37 »

Hello

I am interested in one of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-100-c ... 87235.html

I like the idea of a really simple bike, with the minimum of parts to go wrong. I like my Rudge Bi-Frame, but it is an overly complex solution and I am happy getting off to push up hills.

Has anyone got one before I take the trip to Nottingham to find one? I am hoping to avoid that as it probably means spending a day in IKEA if I do.

Things I'm interested in:

1. What is the axle spacing at the rear? My plan would probably be to fit an AW wheel with a more solid rim in there when the singlespeed wheel expires.
2. If you own one, did you have to replace bits quickly? I know it's the budget end of cycling, but surely it ought to be possible to make simple bikes cheaply.
3. Does it have mounting points for a rack?
4. Is there anything else like it out there? Am I better looking for a nice old roadster of some sort?

Thanks very much in advance. :D
Cyril Haearn

Re: Elops 100 Decathlon city bike

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bike shops take a lot of machines in part-exchange (does decathlon do that?), not sure where they are sold, one does not see them often, are they sent quietly abroad? I would try asking
I just bought a similar used low mileage bike that way for a good price

Quite likely the tyres are very cheap and might need changing but generally simple/cheap is good
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
jman

Post by jman »

I bought one for my Wife last year- ladies step-through frame.
I know you get what you pay for, but this seems to suit her very well for trips to the shops and some gentle touring.
The only problem so far is that, when sourcing a spare tube, I realized that the tyres are the old- fashioned 26 X 1 3/8" size (37-590), not the regular 26" (559). Got two off ebay.
No mounting for a rack. I fitted one by replacing the seat tube clamp with one having bosses.
I will attempt to measure the rear axle spacing later today.
jman

Post by jman »

The rear wheel is 130mm OLN
random37

Post by random37 »

That's brilliant! IIRC, isn't a Nexus hub about that?