Self maintenance advice,

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Xilter

Self maintenance advice,

Post by Xilter »

I’m new to cycling. I’ve worked in a fast fit garage before I’m not alien to using tools and getting dirty.
I do however seriously begrudge paying someone to do something I know I -could do- if I knew what I was supposed to do.
Also I firmly believe that if you know what you looking for not only will you not be fleeced by a LBS but you more likely to identify and rectify issues before they are critical.

SO THE QUESTION

Can anyone give me some pointers what to look out for keep on top of
Videos are most welcome.
My poor poor bottom
Cyril Haearn

Re: Self maintenance advice,

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Brucey will be along soon, he knows almost everything
Meantime you could browse/search these fora, there is plenty of info here already
Plus One for fixing things oneself as far as possible
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I find most areas of a bike quite logical, they are not that complicated after all and with a it of looking you can usually work out what it does and how. Having the right tools to hand may present a problem, but that's a different issue.

Generally, check moving / high stress components, such as drive train, for wear etc every so many miles or every 2-3 months. Items like brake pads / tyres the same. The rest, either when it makes a noise (bottom bracket for example) or every 12 - 24 months strip down and re-grease (headset, maybe wheel bearings etc)

I find on my road bike, that just being observant, and dealing with any noises or squeaks or grating as soon as it happens is a pretty good rule of thumb. Not been let down yet in several years and many miles of cycling.

I'm sure there's a 'proper' way to do it, but works for me
Last edited by chris_suffolk on 16 Aug 2018, 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezer

Post by jezer »

There are lots of vids on uTube. GCN is very good.
Power to the pedals
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Xilter wrote: I’ve worked in a fast fit garage before
if you know what you looking for not only will you not be fleeced by a LBS

Maybe better to not judge the LBS by the standards of service offered by the average Fast Fit garage??
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jus search Youtube,here's loads of stuff on there for aspect ofbicycle maintenance
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The Park Tool website is worth bookmarking. It's aimed at recommending their tool for the job, of course, but see past that and the instructional text and videos are very good (IMHO). https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I thought I might have a go at this by comparing what is similar and different to car maintenance.

The equivalent of car oil changes might well be chain wear, an item that rewards regular checks and replacement because if not checked it will lead to a more costly repair being required. Replace before chain elongation exceeds 1%. Chain lubrication to prevent wear is a source of great debate and argument.

Brake maintenance is equivalent, monitor pad wear and replace when worn.

Same for tyres, check for any gross damage and replace when too worn.

Bike wheel bearings require more frequent maintenance than car wheels because they are more exposed to the elements.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

fastpedaller wrote:

Maybe better to not judge the LBS by the standards of service offered by the average Fast Fit garage??

Heh true that. My LBS ( Evans cycles ) couldn’t even be bothered to unlock a bike I’d paid £50 for them to special order in for me to ride. After speaking to three people and waiting a full hour I asked for my £50deposit back and left never having a ride.. when I was in fast fit I had customer walk out after 30 seconds and complain to head office that I was ignoring them as I was on the phone when they arrived.

I couldn’t bear to think what I’d have to go through to book a service or if I’d ever get my bike back if I did.

For the record 20 minutes of that hour I was the sole customer in the shop. And during the hour it had maxed out at 3customers with 8stafff that I counted.
My poor poor bottom
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

iandriver wrote:The Park Tool website is worth bookmarking. It's aimed at recommending their tool for the job, of course, but see past that and the instructional text and videos are very good (IMHO). https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Thank you I will have a good look
My poor poor bottom
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

reohn2 wrote:Jus search Youtube,here's loads of stuff on there for aspect ofbicycle maintenance

It’s a bit of a minefield when you don’t know specifically what to look for
My poor poor bottom
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

chris_suffolk wrote:I find most areas of a bike quite logical, they are not that complicated after all and with a it of looking you can usually work out what it does and how. Having the right tools to hand may present a problem, but that's a different issue.

Generally, check moving / high stress components, such as drive train, for wear etc every so many miles or every 2-3 months. Items like brake pads / tyres the same. The rest, either when it makes a noise (bottom bracket for example) or every 12 - 24 months strip down and re-grease (headset, maybe wheel bearings etc)

I find on my road bike, that just being observant, and dealing with any noises or squeaks or grating as soon as it happens is a pretty good rule of thumb. Not been let down yet in several years and many miles of cycling.

I'm sure there's a 'proper' way to do it, but works for me

Sound like my approach to looking after my motorcycle
My poor poor bottom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Xilter wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Jus search Youtube,here's loads of stuff on there for aspect ofbicycle maintenance

It’s a bit of a minefield when you don’t know specifically what to look for

Ask yourself what you want to know and put in the YouTube search.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Xilter wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

Heh true that. My LBS ( Evans cycles ) couldn’t even be bothered to unlock a bike I’d paid £50 for them to special order in for me to ride. After speaking to three people and waiting a full hour I asked for my £50deposit back and left never having a ride.. when I was in fast fit I had customer walk out after 30 seconds and complain to head office that I was ignoring them as I was on the phone when they arrived.

I couldn’t bear to think what I’d have to go through to book a service or if I’d ever get my bike back if I did.

For the record 20 minutes of that hour I was the sole customer in the shop. And during the hour it had maxed out at 3customers with 8stafff that I counted.

LBS is usually used to describe a small independent (usually family run or owned) bike shop, not to be confused with a large chain like Evans.
Maybe I'm wrong (do correct me), but local bike shops offer very good value for money - it would appear many people are comfortable with paying £100 an hour for work on their car, but consider £30 an hour too much to pay for work on a bike. Yes, the overheads for a garage are more, but the level of expertise is IMHO not much different - the size of the vehicle shouldn't be a factor (other than equipment/building overhead).
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

can I be a BOF and suggest a good book as a useful starting point? You will of course have to dip into the internet for new stuff as it comes along but a good book will prime you on a lot of the background, language, principles etc without which you could read a hundred websites and look at as many videos and still not have a clue.
Some examples;
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/bicycle-maintenance-books-seven-of-the-best-20996

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~