Advice on panniers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
woldsweather

Advice on panniers

Post by woldsweather »

I am fancying a cycle tour for the first time in 30 years on my Cyclotricity Stealth Ebike. Can anyone advise on panniers that will fir this bike? My old tourer panniers catch in the spokes as the back rack is much higher above the wheel than on my old Giant mountain bike and Condor road bike.
gaz

Re: Advice on panniers

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunate capitalisation of your title almost implies an ADvert but I googled the e-bike anyway.

The bikes I found don't have pannier racks :?.

What panniers do you already have? Whereabouts are they fouling the spokes? What rack do you have?

May I suggest pictures to illustrate.
woldsweather

Re: ADvice on panniers

Post by woldsweather »

Sorry re the capital I seem to regularly get a second capital when I type. I have no idea re make of the panniers as I have had them 35+ years. Ideally I would like larger ones.
I attach phots of bike and bike with old panniers loosely hung on the rack.

THe rack came supplied by Cyclotricity who haven't replied to my request for advice on panniers.
Attachments
20180817_185955.jpg
20180817_185913.jpg
random37

Post by random37 »

Your options are somewhat limited with those.

How about a rack bag? Either that, or a "proper" rack. Or a Carradice saddlebag.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Beam racks like that aren't really suitable for touring-size panniers, as with the weight held out like that the handing of the bike suffers.
They would normally be used with a rack pack with side pockets that fold out into small panniers, as on this link.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-rx-trunk ... -panniers/

I'd suggest a large, old fashioned saddlebag, possibly in conjunction with a handlebar bag.
People have been touring like that for many years, though it means paid for accommodation rather than tent camping unless you also spend quite a bit on lightweight and compact camping gear.
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

I never dreamt of camping. In the past it was always Youth Hostels for me and now it will be guesthouses. I am happy to get another rack. Is there a rack that will fit to the frame at the bottom? I have a rear bag that sits on the rack and that contains my second battery which is vital as I can't pedal this 25 kg beast up a hill with a flat battery.
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

I have a front bag which I intend using but really would like large rear panniers is this feasible with a different rack perhaps?
random37

Post by random37 »

Yes, but you need to take it to a shop, and see what they have that will fit.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The photos aren't good enough to see what's going on with your frame. If it would take a proper frame mounted pannier rack as opposed to the beam one fitted them you'll be able to carry large rear panniers, otherwise not without various problems in use (handling/rack not staying put). Post some better lit close up photos of your frame around the rear dropouts and disc mount, and the area where the seat post fits into the frame.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

From what I can see in your photos it looks like there might be a threaded fitting point on your seat stays just above the disc mount, is this correct? If so you could use one of these of the correct diameter for your seatpost clamp to take care of the top fixing points -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wave-28-6-Clam ... ref=plSrch

You could then fit a conventional pannier rack using both of those attachment points, and use whatever panniers with them. If possible this would be far better than your beam rack.