Newbie! Looking for advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tarqs101

Newbie! Looking for advice

Post by Tarqs101 »

Hi

I am looking at getting a new bike (I have a very old heavy mountain bike which is falling apart) and like the look of the flat bar road bike like the Triban 100 from Decathlon. I want to use it on roads for fitness, possible commuting but also to go riding with the children. It comes with 700 32 slick tyres and as wondering if I could use those tyres to go on gravel paths with the children or would I need to change them?
I don't like the riding position of hybrids.
Thanks
nirakaro

Re: Newbie! Looking for advice

Post by nirakaro »

I ride on 650x37 slicks. They're great on tarmac, fine on well compacted gravel, bad to unrideable on loose gravel, sand, mud or grass.
random37

Post by random37 »

Yes, it will be fine. I saw one in the flesh and while I don't ride bikes like that anymore I thought what a nice machine it was for the money.

The back wheel is only 7 speed, so probably a freewheel. Depending on its quality, you may need to learn to replace axles!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Unless it's deep gravel you should be OK.
On Friday I ride part of the Camel Trail and Saturday the tow path between Taunton and Bridgewater (about 10 miles off road) on 25 mm slick tyres and whilst wider would have been more comfortable I didn't have any problems.
Tarqs101

Post by Tarqs101 »

That's great, thanks for your replies. Was thinking of changing the tyres for more grippy 32mm ones but don't want to lose the road capabilities.
CubbyJaggy

Post by CubbyJaggy »

Just be careful riding on loose gravel I find it can handle it find but you need to slow down as it becomes slidy under braking especially if you turning I brake before turning and it still slid. I managed to stay on but it was a bit slidy so be careful
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

CubbyJaggy wrote:Just be careful riding on loose gravel I find it can handle it find but you need to slow down as it becomes slidy under braking especially if you turning I brake before turning and it still slid. I managed to stay on but it was a bit slidy so be careful

As a rule brake should never be used whilst turning!
CubbyJaggy

Post by CubbyJaggy »

Yes :) I said that I brake before turning :) I learnt this in my bike ability course :) but it still slid even on going straight on the gravel a bit