problems with Garmin cadence sensor (resolved)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jay Gee

problems with Garmin cadence sensor (resolved)

Post by Jay Gee »

I bought a Garmin cadence sensor which didn't seem to work. The retailer replaced it but still no joy. Is it something I am doing wrong, or am I unlucky enough to have got two duds in a row?

In both units the battery was OK (if taken out and replaced, the LEDs flashed as expected).

My understanding from the instructions is that after a couple of crank revolutions the green LED should flash briefly. I never saw this with the first unit, the with the second I this happened when I very first tried it but never again after that. Neither unit was recognised by my Garmin Edge.

Is there anything else I can do to wake the sensor up, or check if that it is definitely faulty before I take it back again?

thanks
Last edited by Jay Gee on 20 Aug 2018, 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ke1th

Re: problems with Garmin cadence sensor

Post by Ke1th »

You have to go into settings and pair the two together. Not sure how but remember doing it with mine.
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

Ke1th wrote:You have to go into settings and pair the two together. Not sure how but remember doing it with mine.

Yes I know. I did that, the Edge looked for cadence sensors but didn't find any.

The instructions that come with the cadence sensor clearly say that after a couple of pedal revolutions the green LED should flash for a few times to show that the sensor is ready to send data, it definitely doesn't do that when I spin the pedals on a bike stand.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Which Edge is it?

Some of the older Edges will only detect the original combined speed & cadence sensor not the newer separate ones (introduced with the Edge 1000 in 2014 I think). I don't know if that was introduced to any older models subsequently.

With the separate cadence sensor I find it probably takes at least half a dozen full turns of the cranks to wake it up (& it is rare for me to actually spot the lights flashing, even though mine work perfectly). I also find they are quite quick at going back to sleep again.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

It's the edge 500, so it is an older model - but the garmin support website says that is compatible with their current cadence sensor. It's helpful to know that you don't always see the green light flashing on the sensor, perhaps it is worth me fiddling with the settings on the 500 again.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The green light only flashes for a couple of seconds and then not again. I don't know how long it has to be inactive before it will flash again.
Don't know about the 500 but on my 810 it has to obviously be matched but also, I think, has to be selected in "bike profile" ? (the 810 can be programmed for more than one bike)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Jay Gee wrote:It's the edge 500, so it is an older model - but the garmin support website says that is compatible with their current cadence sensor. It's helpful to know that you don't always see the green light flashing on the sensor, perhaps it is worth me fiddling with the settings on the 500 again.

I had this reply from Ray (of DCRainmaker fame)...
DCRainmaker wrote:Should be compatible, though, I've heard of a few cases where older devices can't seem to find them if the ANT+ ID number is too high (even though it still should work just fine). https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/gar ... nsors.html

... And wondered if your problem might be the problem he mentions. (my sensors have a 5 digit ID, can the 500 handle a 5 digit ID? Or possibly a binary number limit somewhere in the 10s of thousands)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jay Gee

Re: problems with Garmin cadence sensor (resolved)

Post by Jay Gee »

Thanks for the suggestions. All sorted now - I found an old post on another forum which suggested going into the settings menu on the Edge, telling it that there are no cadence / speed sensors, then telling it that a cadence sensor is fitted, then asking it to search for sensors again. It worked!