Perennial question but its 2018 Lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
whoof

Re: Perennial question but its 2018 Lights

Post by whoof »

Depending on wheel size Decathlon have dynamo hub wheels in 26" and hybrid sizes for £ 30.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

I only go 2 miles each way commute but it can be very early or pretty late in the day.
I am absolutely loving my dynamo lights.
I got them about a year ago.

Not having to remember them is my favourite thing.
Hmmm, or is it the choice of light pattern you get?
Or is it that I don't have to charge up batteries?
Or the choice of brightness?
Or, once you have the supply, the lights are great value?
Or the fact that I will be able to charge other things up when I get sorted?
Or that I might be able to run a second back light as well?
Or ........
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you're after something cheap and 'be seen' I'd go for something that incorporates cob ( chip on board ) technology because the viewing angles are so wide and aren't much dimmer at the extremes of those angles either.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Gazza-d where did you buy your Herrmans light from?
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I bought it from Bike24. https://www.bike24.com/p2253168.html

Stupidly bright and only 38 Euros. A bargain for the price.The one I received has the light sensor for auto on/off as well. Only took a couple of days to arrive from Germany
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone plenty of choice at reasonable cost.

Now get more interesting in dynamo lights.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I run a dynohub now....ran a bottle dynamo since early 80's. I run twin halogen lamps off it, never thought I lacked sufficient lighting.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Greystoke wrote:I run a dynohub now....ran a bottle dynamo since early 80's. I run twin halogen lamps off it, never thought I lacked sufficient lighting.

Hi Gs I should know but is 28" equivalent to 700c. Is it me or are the wheels remarkably cheap.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hondated wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I run a dynohub now....ran a bottle dynamo since early 80's. I run twin halogen lamps off it, never thought I lacked sufficient lighting.

Hi Gs I should know but is 28" equivalent to 700c. Is it me or are the wheels remarkably cheap.

28" is how the Germans usually refer to a 700C (622) wheel (*) but it can of couse refer to other wheel sizes as well.

(*) accurately, too, in that the French pinched one of the original 28" dunlop rims sizes (28 x 1-3/4", which had a bead seat of ~24 - 11/16") , fitted it with a series of different width tyres, and called it 700C.

Dyno wheels are not expensive if you are not fussy. You can dip you toe and if you don't like it you can sell the lot on for not much less than you paid for it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hondated

Post by hondated »

Brucey wrote:
hondated wrote:

28" is how the Germans usually refer to a 700C (622) wheel (*) but it can of couse refer to other wheel sizes as well.

(*) accurately, too, in that the French pinched one of the original 28" dunlop rims sizes (28 x 1-3/4", which had a bead seat of ~24 - 11/16") , fitted it with a series of different width tyres, and called it 700C.

Dyno wheels are not expensive if you are not fussy. You can dip you toe and if you don't like it you can sell the lot on for not much less than you paid for it.

cheers

Thanks Brucey
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Grarea wrote:I only go 2 miles each way commute but it can be very early or pretty late in the day.
I am absolutely loving my dynamo lights.
I got them about a year ago.

<snip>

I also love my Dynohub for the same reason. No worry about making sure you have lights with you, or that they're charged. Just get on and ride. Worth finding lights with 'standlight' functionality, so they have some power in reserve to keep the lights on when you're stopped.

For city riding I wouldn't want to go back to USB lights now
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I've just cycled 3.5miles on cart tracks and single track roads, dual dynamo lights on....(it's not dark yet....but my commute soon will be). No batteries to charge, no messing about.
Regarding 26" wheels, there's 26" imperial (26x1/2) and 26" metric (26x1.5). They're not the same. Make sure whatever wheel you order matches your Tyre size.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Definitely get a dynamo hub if you ride regularly in the dark. Even if you don't it is great to know you always have some lights if the weather changes.

Related point: Anyone know anything about SP dynamo hubs? they look good value and lightweight. I've only had SON28s before but was looking for a cheaper alternative for a second bike https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p30 ... YNAMO-PV-8 or https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p37 ... YNAMO-SV-9
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

geocycle wrote:Related point: Anyone know anything about SP dynamo hubs? they look good value and lightweight. I've only had SON28s before but was looking for a cheaper alternative for a second bike https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p30 ... YNAMO-PV-8 or https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p37 ... YNAMO-SV-9
Have run an SD-8 on the front of my recumbent for the last 6 years in all weathers (but not commuting mileage). Would replace like for like without hesitation.
HTH
"42"
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

squeaker wrote:
geocycle wrote:Related point: Anyone know anything about SP dynamo hubs? they look good value and lightweight. I've only had SON28s before but was looking for a cheaper alternative for a second bike https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p30 ... YNAMO-PV-8 or https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p37 ... YNAMO-SV-9
Have run an SD-8 on the front of my recumbent for the last 6 years in all weathers (but not commuting mileage). Would replace like for like without hesitation.
HTH

Thanks these look like very good value.