7/8s Shimano STIs; not quite so horrifying inside after all

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: 7/8s Shimano STIs; not quite so horrifying inside after all

Post by Brucey »

current 9s Sora (ST-R3000, ST-R3030) STIs appear to be based on the architecture used in ST-4700 series tiagra , some (final version) Ultegra and 105 10s shifters as well as current 11s shifters. This being the case I don't think there is a significant difference in the quality of all these shifters. As mentioned above the thumb button is not a feature on these shifters. To avoid future confusion I suppose only talking in model numbers prevents statements regarding 'current' and 'series X' shifters from going out of date.

Just to avoid confusion; the only parts that are interchangeable between 9s and 10s systems are the derailleurs themselves, and then only sometimes, and often only in one direction. If you connect a 10s shifter to any compatible RD you will have a 10s system. This won't work with a 9s cassette because the sprockets will be the wrong spacing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
neilob

Post by neilob »

A brilliant thread, thanks for making the effort to provide such a useful resource. Coincidentally I have just recommissioned a mid 90s steel Lemond with 3x7 RSX groupset which has been hanging around for a long while. After taking the lube approach, the shifters sprang into life and on a ride today I was reflecting that the gear shifts were just as smooth and reliable as my newer Dura Ace 10 speed equipped bike. In fact, I almost convinced myself that the whole experience was better!
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

RSX shifter video :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGNN_2 ... F1CeiCdi3o

There are other videos for various STI/Ergos on U-tube.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

neilob wrote: I have just recommissioned a mid 90s steel Lemond with 3x7 RSX groupset ………..on a ride today I was reflecting that the gear shifts were just as smooth and reliable as my newer Dura Ace 10 speed equipped bike. In fact, I almost convinced myself that the whole experience was better!

arguably in several respects it is better; simplistically speaking 3x7 > 2 x10, but in fact you may have a better chance of running a decent chainline in any one gear with a 3x7 setup than with a 2x10 setup too....

cheers
neilob

Post by neilob »

Brucey wrote:
neilob wrote: I have just recommissioned a mid 90s steel Lemond with 3x7 RSX groupset ………..on a ride today I was reflecting that the gear shifts were just as smooth and reliable as my newer Dura Ace 10 speed equipped bike. In fact, I almost convinced myself that the whole experience was better!

arguably in several respects it is better; simplistically speaking 3x7 > 2 x10, but in fact you may have a better chance of running a decent chainline in any one gear with a 3x7 setup than with a 2x10 setup too....

cheers

That is exactly my observation! No ‘tinkling’ and a feeling of solidity.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Graham

Post by Graham »

And finally . . . . . . . . . . . .upon disassembly, a 6mm piece of broken spring emerged loose from the ratchet-mech compartment.

I can't see where it came from or which specific bit is dysfunctional. . . . and parts unavailable anyway.

The End . . .. or pass on for parts.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is the broken spring definitely an internal spring and not part of the external spring (beneath the front cover) for example?

cheers
Graham

Post by Graham »

I'm fairly sure that the broken spring end originated from somewhere within. It was at the point of opening up the inner housing that the broken part fell on the workbench.

Front spring (7) and Brake return spring (13) are intact and functioning normally.

I did reconnect the shifter, just to check if by some miracle it would self-heal . . . .
however the shifting soon reverted to mush - unable to hold position on the intermediate sprockets.

I'm back to downtube shifters for the ongoing . . . .

Thanks
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I like hitting stuff with hammers until it breaks, to ascertain how it works. When they disintegrated and I actually saw what’s what I found I actually quite liked STIs. They’re pretty hairy buttocked really, and they do the job for which they’re designed well. That’s good enough for me.