mixte frame long drop brake caliper options ? Down pull ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hoogerbooger

mixte frame long drop brake caliper options ? Down pull ?

Post by hoogerbooger »

The 1977 mixte frame I'm fitting out needs circa 70mm drop for the brakes & I have no long drops in my spares collection.

I'm thinking I might as well go for modern dual pivot for better braking. So far googling I've not seen any that can work as down pull. The frame has the extra brake boss so could just fit rear brake on lower boss a up pull......but it would look tidier I think if fitted to the upper boss as down pull.

Anyone know if there's any on the market that can work as down pull ?
old fangled
Brucey

Re: mixte frame long drop brake caliper options ? Down pull ?

Post by Brucey »

Brompton

but you will have find a place for barrel adjuster though.

BTW a common setup on mixte framesets was to have a centre-pull caliper mounted on the twin lateral stays.

This arrangement has the not inconsiderable advantage that there is no danger of the brake cable filling up with water in the same way, because the end of it doesn't face upwards.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Just been staring at these on my my Brompton and not sure how to convert to up-pull for the front. Seems to be a bare un-threaded cable-stop on the lower arm.

Frame looks like it used to have centre pulls. Looks like a MAFAC hanger on the headset. I had a look at CPs yesterday but am not sure how they would compare in braking power to modern dual pivot brakes. ( My missus will want good brakes on the bike)

There seems to be Wenmann CP's on ebay quite cheep and MAFACs for more. Need for a long straddle cable for the back seems to an issue ( I found a previous post on this forum on this issue). Looks like the MAFAC Racer has a clamp at one end)

I like how the CP's set up but are there any to target that are better stoppers ?
old fangled
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CPs work fine provided you use decent brake blocks and most importantly the correct levers. The correct levers have a short cable pull and a high mechanical advantage. Modern STIs are not at all suitable for CP brakes and pre ~2008 ones are better but not as good as the right brake levers are.

IIRC you can buy the Brompton calipers individually; you only need use one at the rear.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

cheers. V helpful. Sounds like it'll be Brompton at the back back & probably Tektro R559 at front, as will be using with some 7 speed STI's levers , which the missus prefers.
old fangled