Bike pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
olddave

Bike pump

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 12:07pm

just getting back in to cycling(retired) what bike pump would be best for me when I am out and about I have 20" wheel with tyre pressure of 26 P.S.I. or 2 Bar and also any advice on innertubes .There has been a lot of changes since last time I had a bike

pwa

Re: Bike pump

Postby pwa » 1 Sep 2018, 12:10pm

How do you carry your pump? In a bag? If so, how long can the pump be and still fit in? What type of valve do your tyres have? A car type or a narrower type?

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 12:25pm

car type valves I will be getting a backpack medium size

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Sep 2018, 12:45pm

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/topea ... rack-pump/

If it is going in a bag (check the length and make sure it will go in the bag you have in mind) this type of pump works well for me. In use you press the bottom end onto the ground, vertically, as you pump air in via a lock-on hose, so you are not struggling to keep it steady like you do with pumps that don't touch the ground. The downward stroke pumps the air in, meaning that you are pushing down against the ground, not against your other hand. That means less work. Less sweat dripping off your nose.

I'd avoid a dual action pump that puts air in on both the push and the pull. That only makes the pull stroke very hard work.

Topeak are pretty good but other brands produce good pumps too. And the retailer I linked to will not be the cheapest place you can get that pump.

(Your valves are "Schrader", so you can use any pump that will work with that valve type)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Sep 2018, 1:23pm

2 bar is an incredibly low pressure; are you sure that is right?

What tyres are you using? How much load is on the bike?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 6:00pm

thanks for the link PWA I like to the look of it not sure about the size when it is closed

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Sep 2018, 6:12pm

olddave wrote:thanks for the link PWA I like to the look of it not sure about the size when it is closed

It's a personal thing, but generally speaking the smaller a pump is, the harder it is to use, the larger it is, the more difficult it is to carry. So it's a trade off.

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 6:23pm

Schrader valves mmm you are never too old to learn something new thanks

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 6:26pm

I like that it sort of stands on the ground when you use it

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 1 Sep 2018, 6:32pm

I've had this Truflo mini track pump living in various bags over the past 3 years or so:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Truflo-Minitra ... gJcV_D_BwE

Always worked OK when I've needed it so can't ask for more than that. Gets road tyres upto pressure pretty quick. Bit more effort obviously for the larger tubes. The only quibble was that after inflating one tyre it kept pulling out the presta valve core when unscrewing the head. Sorted by tightening the valve when I got home ( didn't have a small enough tool at the time). Not really the pumps fault?

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 6:41pm

oh that's another nice looking pump and its got gauge fitted and only a foot long when closed

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 1 Sep 2018, 8:23pm

If you are after silvery metal bling mini track pump, how about the Probiketool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Inflation ... pump&psc=1

olddave

Postby olddave » 1 Sep 2018, 8:55pm

it`s not so much about blink. I didn't realise you could get mini track type pumps that look so neat and where practical when going riding for the day whether carried in a bag or fix to the bike

esuhl

Postby esuhl » 2 Sep 2018, 1:27am

Whoa! I had no idea you could get track pumps small enough to fit in your bag. :o

I have a big Halfords/BikeHut track pump at home that I'm really pleased with. It was £19, although it was £23 last time I looked. It auto-adjusts to fit Schraeder and Presta valves automatically, and is so easy to use with a clear display.

I only seem to get a puncture once every few years, so I only carry a tiny cheapo pump with me. It's a pain to use, but I hardly ever need it. :-/

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 2 Sep 2018, 11:21am

I may be a bit slow on the uptake but it took me years to work out that I did a significant fraction of my annual mileage doing short utility runs and that these were most likely (because of urban detritus, broken glass etc) to result in a puncture. OK, I might not have far to walk home or to a place of repair but often I'd left to run an errand and thought 'I'm not going that far, no need to take a pump' so I didn't have one with me. Duh.

When I finally worked out that carrying a pump (any pump) and some glueless patches all the time was a good idea, I asked myself why I didn't usually bother. The reason was that a big pump seemed like an encumbrance; I have for years used a frame fit pump and (as a pump) it is brilliant. But I can't leave it on the bike and expect it still to be there when I come back, and carrying the thing around is a pain. Moulton solved this problem by having a pump stashed inside the seat tube but if you only use it once a year or something, it can be in a terrible state when you finally extract it from its lair, and this approach isn't applicable to all bikes.

A small pump might do for occasional use and would be easy to carry; the question is, how small?

I presently carry one of these

in my pocket all the time. It is a little over 6" long, weighs 60g and does presta valves only. My tyres come off without a lot of effort, so no tyre levers are required; thus with just the pump and a few glueless patches I am very likely to be able to get home at least, in the event of a puncture. Actually using the pump is a pain but since it is only for emergencies that is OK. I top my tyres up at home once every couple of weeks using a big pump, and (when I remember to) I take a frame fit pump on 'proper rides'. IMHO if you feel the need to carry a track pump all the time then you probably have the wrong tyres for your use (so puncture frequently) or already have slow punctures or something.

BTW the finish on my pump is shiny anodising; since this is easily scratched and makes for rattles anyway, my pump has a few turns of tape around it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~