Single chain ring !

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

Re: Single chain ring !

Post by NetworkMan »

All down to personal choice I guess. If some people want to ride around with a very restricted gear range and Change Gear when the want to errr.... change gear then that's their choice I guess. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to use anything other than a triple for touring. Can someone convince me?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, each to their own I say, as long as you are not purporting to convince others that your way is best.

I got a bit bored with spinning out on my single speed 44 x 18 so went to a 53/38 x 18......'what's the point??' I've heard. However it is very good for poncing around town and shorter rides upto 20 miles or so. One gear for uphill & one gear for downhill....easy! It's had an awful lot of use this summer.

DS3.jpg

DS2.jpg

Fitting a granny would totally defeat the purpose!?

Little projects keep small minds happy!
Last edited by SimonCelsa on 2 Sep 2018, 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Why not have the best of both worlds.Stick a double chainring on but do away with FMech and lever.Just change manually when it gets hilly.I,ve had this setup on my "holiday bike" when the chain kept derailing off a middleburn middle ring onto bottom,caused,I think by the design of a thicker than normal ramp which threw the chain off.Anyway ,it was a workable arrangement.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, I did without the front derailleur initially but then managed to 'win' a cheapie off ebay. With a spare DT shifter languishing in a spares box it made sense just to fit one and struggle against the extra 100grams or so! :wink:
hondated

Post by hondated »

Well that was a question worth asking as its certainly generated a high level of debate much of which I am not bright enough to understand I should add. However I do accept the argument for a single chain ring may not be the best for most cycle tourists.
Sadly near the end of the thread it seems to have got a bit heated so it would be great imo if we could just accept that some of us just have different opinions as the beauty of this forum is that we are basically long distance friends.

In fact I read a thread recently where someone said that if another forum member sent them their address they would post they wanted to them free of charge. How great is that !
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

NetworkMan wrote:All down to personal choice I guess. If some people want to ride around with a very restricted gear range and Change Gear when the want to errr.... change gear then that's their choice I guess. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to use anything other than a triple for touring. Can someone convince me?

Good Lord, no! I've gone back to using a five speed (after using a 3 speed hub, a Nu-Vinci 360 hub, and borrowed Rohloff) simply to prove that you don't need the latest whizz bang carbon fibre, disc brake, multi-speed bicycle to enjoy cycling...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:I have numerous (!) practical objections to 1x11 setups but that is not to say that they don't appear to suit some folk. If you are one such then bully for you, but there are (without any doubt whatsoever IMHO) better transmissions for almost every conceivable purpose than that.

cheers

Seems you're not alone :D

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... 392905/amp
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

hondated wrote:I seem to have become fixated with looking at the latest mountain bikes recently as my 26" wheel one is definitely now outdated.

Rewinding to the OP....... is the fact it's got 26" wheels the main (or indeed only) reason for stating the bike is outdated?
If so I'd just stick with it if it's a functioning bike - said by someone who is himself outdated :lol:
hondated

Post by hondated »

fastpedaller wrote:
hondated wrote:I seem to have become fixated with looking at the latest mountain bikes recently as my 26" wheel one is definitely now outdated.

Rewinding to the OP....... is the fact it's got 26" wheels the main (or indeed only) reason for stating the bike is outdated?
If so I'd just stick with it if it's a functioning bike - said by someone who is himself outdated :lol:

Great advice fp ( your not related to my wife are you ) as I am guilty of reading too many glossy mags and watching youngsters the same age as my grandsons flying downhill. Mind you if I was to buy one, one of them will get a bit more inheritance when I pop my clogs. :lol: