Did you think big sprockets on road bikes was a new idea?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
WOT

Re: so you think big sprockets on road bikes is a new idea?

Post by WOT »

Brucey wrote: 3 Sep 2018, 11:36am whist we are on SunTour stuff this

http://euphras.blogspot.com/2011/10/how ... index.html

show how to refurb accushift shifters, including a method of recovering worn indexing parts.

This link
http://suntourcommand.blogspot.com/

is to a page where someone has commissioned newly made inserts for SunTour command shifters that convert them to index 'road' Shimano 10s (not 4700 presumably).
The post is old (from 2013) but it has been updated in 2017 and I think the inserts will also fit other SunTour accushift type shifters

cheers
Quoting this post from Brucey because I went ahead and bought that 10sp insert
from Japan and finally got around to working on my command shifters almost a year later.

Now I have 3x10 shimano road drivetrain with friction suntour command on the left and suntour command 10s indexed on the right. Absolutely love them. Being able to change 1 or 9 gears in a single movement is a delight compared to Shimano brifters.
path81

Re: Did you think big sprockets on road bikes was a new idea?

Post by path81 »

Glad I found this post, and happy to hear this hack is working out for you!

I need to convert 7 speed command shifters to 10sp SIS, and I've been trying to contact the guy in Japan for months to no avail.

I don't suppose you have a spare index plate or two that I could purchase from you? ...or a means of contacting the maker other than the email address on their blog?

Any help in ending my hunt would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

So far, and I’ve only glanced through the thread, I’ve only seen the 14 - 34 block but Suntour also did a 14 - 38 five speed block and a special derailleur to go with it. I think that it was called the AG or Alpine Gear.

I used a 14 - 34 five speed for a while and then changed the 14 to a 15, still have that freewheel somewhere. It worked quite well for me but: the gear changes were sometimes difficult, some derailleurs were really only good for 32 teeth so not all worked well enough with 34, and the spacing between ratios was a bit too wide for comfort. All that said I still managed to cover a lot of miles with the arrangement and would press it into service again.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Boy do I miss Brucey around here......! :cry: :cry: :cry:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yes, me too - I hope he's making some progress. I haven't seen an update recently.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
scottg

Post by scottg »

Scroll down till you reach the "Chucks Bike" section.

64-44-24 chain rings with a 13-42 freewheel.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... t-34t.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++