Corrosion on pivot point FRONT DERAILLEUR

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
1066enthalpies1939

Corrosion on pivot point FRONT DERAILLEUR

Post by 1066enthalpies1939 »

I am maintaining a cycle for a friend, they do not use or like using mudguards and have to leave their cycle outside exposed to the elements.

The front derailleur MEZZO FRONT DERAILLEUR FD-M20

https://www.microshift.com/en/product/fd-m20/

This has been subject to corrosion as result the movement of the cage in non-existent will not return to the rest position once in the open position (large chainring position)

How I have tried to restore function

Thoroughly clean with degreaser and hot water
Submerge in white vinegar for 48 hours
Thoroughly wash in hot water to remove the vinegar
Spay WD40 and later silicon lubricant on all parts paying particular attention to the pivot points and the springs

Results

All surface corrosion free
Cages can move into high gear position with the aid screwdriver and back to low gear with use of hands.

Comment

I do not wish to use petrol etc (I live in a flat)

Question
Would removing the e clips to gain access to the pivots point be good idea so I could clean and lubricate these surfaces?

I know I will need to purchases a e clip installers and remover to remove and install the e clips

Views
Brucey

Re: Corrosion on pivot point FRONT DERAILLEUR

Post by Brucey »

often such mechs come back to life if you 'exercise' them; if you spray both ends of each bushing with GT85 at intervals and work the mech back and forth repeatedly this will cause the corroded deposits to work their way out of the bushings. This is usually accompanied by a black oozing from the worst pivots. Once proper movement is restored, lube regularly with something rather more persistent and water resistant.

normally the pivot that seizes worst is the longest one, with the spring around it.

BTW if needs be 'e' clips can be pryed off using a small screwdriver and replaced using small pliers

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~