On the road inflator for fat tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

Re: On the road inflator for fat tyres

Post by fausto99 »

Brucey wrote:I agree. I note that part of the trouble with large barrel pumps is often that if the seal isn't adequately lubricated, just moving the pump with any pressure inside it can become incredibly hard work.

Absolutely correct and it's glued together so that the only way to get into it is by breaking it.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

ossie wrote:I use a Topeak Mountain Morph when touring

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/produc ... ain-morph-

It has a little stand that flips out to make it like a little track pump. Would thoroughly recommend it.

I tried one of these today. A clubmate let me use his on today's ride when we were helping some cyclists we met on the road fixing their flat.
I thought it was pretty good for on-the-road use. Much better than what I've got atm.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Brucey wrote: IMHO whoever designs pumps in this way either doesn't anticipate their use in real weather or is a full-blown cretin of some kind

Thanks for all the weight info and model reviews.

As all my clubmates know, I do my utmost to not go on wet rides but I'm often let down by the BBC weather app predictions. I do also look up at the sky before deciding whether to ride or not, but that's not foolproof either. :lol:
roger

Post by roger »

Have Airsticks on all my bikes. I tried one because I liked the principal of the T handle. Found it awkward until, by accident, I leant the wheel against my legs with the valve at the top and pumped inwards towards my legs. I have puzzled for several years as to why it should work, but have no answer. To date I have only used them in anger, perhaps I could do a spot of research.

Like all Blackburn the Airstik has lifetime guarantee. Needed it once - a broken bracket.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

We run 26 X 1.75 on our Thorn tandem and on our last two two week tours we punctured once each time.

The Zephal HPX #4 got the tyres back up to 50psi but it took a lot of pump strokes.

As others have said they are quite large volume tyres.

Mike
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

simonhill wrote:Don't forget that with Schrader valves you can get air at most garages, motor workshops, tyre places, etc.

When on tour, if I need to pump I don't worry too much about getting the right pressure as I then top up at a garage.

Good suggestion and I have used workshops in my commuting days, but, nowadays my rides and our club runs tend to avoid main roads, which is where garages, motor workshops, tyre places, etc. tend to be. Unfortunately my local village petrol station gave up having a working tyre inflator years ago.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got an SKS Rideair, primarily to supplement a track pump for seating tubeless tyres.

I've not yet taken it out & about (it fits a bottle cage but needs a strap to stop it rattling) but have thought it might be useful on a group ride to have a tyre's worth of pre-pumped air. I can get it up to about 120psi with my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive so could top it up out on the road. Of course a full size track pump gets it to much higher pressures.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

roger wrote:Have Airsticks on all my bikes. I tried one because I liked the principal of the T handle. Found it awkward until, by accident, I leant the wheel against my legs with the valve at the top and pumped inwards towards my legs. I have puzzled for several years as to why it should work, but have no answer. To date I have only used them in anger, perhaps I could do a spot of research..

how do you avoid straining the valve stem this way?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~