Now thats what i call a Cassette !!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Now thats what i call a Cassette !!

Post by RickH »

When I did the Wild Wales Challenge last year on my steel Kona with a 42 on the rear it did attract a lot of attention, most people seemed to be on lightweight CF or alloy machines (not always easy to spot the difference at a casual glance).

Just as well I ride a tandem a significant amount of the time so I'm used to being a focus of attention. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:You are correct of course.

It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

I'm glad you agree, as someone who's found interesting variations on all sorts from E2E's to Moulton gearing you could hardly do otherwise. <thumbsup>
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
I'll be riding my TSR90 Moulton tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
daern

Post by daern »

As it happens, I have a GX Eagle 10-50 1x12 build in progress in the workshop for a friend. She's moving from a 3x10 XTR setup for a couple of reasons:

1. The XTR transmission is completely worn out
2. She has arthritis in her left hand and was finding shifting with the left thumb to be increasingly hard
3. She uses this bike for everything - i.e. slogging up off-road hills and touring on road. Her riding style is a very, very low climbing gear (I can walk up quicker!) and a very, very high road gear with a glacial cadence.

Total cost to swap will be less than £400, including the GX groupset itself and a DT Swiss XD freehub driver. Considering it would have cost at least this to replace the worn XTR compontents, it seems like a no brainer. We did consider a 2x11 XT DI2 setup, but was struggling to get this in for under £1000.

SRAM Eagle is a nice piece of kit. It's not perfect (the shifting is a little agricultural compared to Shimano) but it's well thought out and sold at a good price point. It needs very, very careful setup, however. The mech hanger much be perfectly true and the B-screw adjustment spot on if you are to get good quality shifting. Once this is done, however, it rarely needs to be adjusted.

Clever stuff, but XTR 1x12 is on my shortlist for when my own 2x11 setup comes up for replacement :-)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am using Mich World Tour on my tourer, excellent off road touring tyre :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My first bike which I shared with my twin (ten shillings second hand) was rod brakes and single speed freewheel, so there is nothing new under the sun :)

But 1 X 10-12, whats the advantages (technical) except big steps, no flexibility in range and gruncey chain line all for the style of one up front.
And why are the front chain wheels so small...........
Most who ride these things do it for attention don't they..........bit like moulten riders :mrgreen:
When you've had every thing then where do you go next.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But 1 X 10-12, whats the advantages (technical) except big steps, no flexibility in range and gruncey chain line all for the style of one up front.
And why are the front chain wheels so small...........

They have a small front ring(30-34t usually) and a massive 50t rear so (in theory) you get similar ratios to having a granny and middle ring.
1X makes sense if you're doing out-and out Mountain biking as there's less clutter on the bike.
Having said that I wouldn't go 11-50 on the rear,not even for MTBing in the Peak/Lakes etc.
I had 11-36 on my last build(after binning the 42t expander) and didn't notice and significant jumps.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

1x is not my choice for sure but it arguably makes more sense on a MTB than it does in most other applications. Part of the reason for this is that the gear ratios used when riding offroad are, on average, quite small. This means that you might be using the sprockets in the middle of the cassette more of the time than if (say) you used a similar setup on the road. On the road with a 1x setup you might be using rather small (fast-wearing, inefficient, with a poor chainline) sprockets when riding on the flat, but this isn't so likely to happen with a MTB setup.

Transmissions don't last long anyway on a MTB, and the thing that wears them out faster than anything is if they are more dirty, more of the time. If the (apparent) simplicity of a 1x system means it doesn't get quite as dirty to start with and/or is cleaned more often, it may trump some of the downsides of a 1x system.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~