Schwalbe Marathon Race Tyre 700x38mm

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Schwalbe Marathon Race Tyre 700x38mm

Post by foxychick »

Anyone had any experience of these tyres with regard to puncture resistance, general wear and tear, and are they suitable for dis-used railways, and canal tow-path, type use. Was looking to purchase the 700x38mm tyres which only weigh 485 grams. Thank you for any replies in advance.
meic

Re: Schwalbe Marathon Race Tyre 700x38mm

Post by meic »

I havent tried the 38mm but have had plenty of other ones.

Like many other Marathon tyres you will also have to look at the model number which comes with the tyre, the different numbers can be quite different quality tyres.
Under the Marathon Racer (700x35) badge I have some folders weighing from 333g to a silver monstrosity that seems just like an ordinary marathon and weighs 542g.
Racer is a bit of a misnomer and for me they are at the more rugged end of my tyre spectrum, used for loaded touring and rougher terrain. Their sidewalls are not as bullet proof as a standard Marathon but have survived all the scars I have put on their sidewalls.
However they do (except for the silver one) seem quite easy rolling. Up to the point of finding the Vittoria Hyper they were my (wider) tyre of choice, now they replace Hypers for the winter when I appreciate the tread.
I also use a 1.5" Racer on my workhorse bike, it being an alternative to Passelas which have much more vulnerable sidewalls.
Schwalbe are just as "hopeful" as other tyre manufacturers with the published weights, yours could easily come in over 500g.
I certainly prefer them (even the wired ones) to the Vittoria Randoneur Pro, which is to me its nearest competitor.
You can almost guarantee the next poster has a very different view, tyres are pretty personal choices.
Yma o Hyd
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

foxychick wrote:Anyone had any experience of these tyres with regard to puncture resistance, general wear and tear, and are they suitable for dis-used railways, and canal tow-path, type use. Was looking to purchase the 700x38mm tyres which only weigh 485 grams. Thank you for any replies in advance.

Do you read these rolling resistance tests, they report on weight and puncture resistance too?
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... racer-2015
The low weight seems to be the main benefit.

Schwalbe have so very many tyres - I sometimes wonder if people don't buy because they just can't decide!
I'm happy to use almost treadlesss tyres on unsurfaced cycle tracks in the dry. When there are wet leaves I don't though some say that nothing is much good under those conditions.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Facinating reading networkman very informative thank you.