Threadless headset servicing - would you bother?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeDee

Re: Threadless headset servicing - would you bother?

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:Aren't cartridge bearing headsets the ones that solved the fretting (false brinelling, pitting, index steering) problem? I ride in almost exclusively dry conditions and haven't had a headset problem with these types of headsets as compared to the old caged bearing types.

Possibly it helped, but really the main thing was, I think, that this coincided with the move to 1-1/8" steerers. These are 'quite a lot' stiffer so the crown race doesn't try to articulate in service anyway. When a stiff steerer is used, the main benefit of some articulation (rather than none) is that the average (i.e. poor) frame prep on most bikes is better tolerated.

Jobst Brandt wrote reams on the topic of headset wear but IMHO he was quite wrong in what he said; he ignored the fact that the steerer deflects a fair bit in any bike with a 1" setup, (and his steerer was so long it was almost certainly twice or more as flexible as the average.... :roll: ) and this loaded the balls very unevenly indeed. He probably was getting true brinelling; a small dent is easily visible; the raised material to the sides is maybe 1/10th the height and is much less easy to spot. I think he had (because of his longer steerer) a genuinely insoluble problem for a conventional 1" headset, but most of the folk who thought they had the same problem almost certainly did not; they would most likely have been suffering the usual consequences of poor adjustment, which are slightly different (*).

Note also that as soon as you have cartridge bearings, and an A-head system, true fretting is less likely because it is much less likely that you will run with slack or too little preload on the headset bearings. The reason for this is twofold;

1) most folk put too much preload on their headsets ("..a good thing I found that screw was 'loose' in the top cap...." etc etc etc) and
2) if there is the slightest slack the whole affair rattles like crazy; much worse than a traditional headset.

1) also means that a lot of bearings clap out by being overloaded anyway. Indexed steering is alive and well, and average quality cartridge bearings are part of the problem; ~25 x 1/8" balls is not a very strong bearing at all, and easily indents with some combination of service load, excess preload and lack of decent grease.

If you are careful with your setup and maintenance, you probably won't get any problems. The same was true of 1" threaded headsets too, for the most part; once I'd figured out how to adjust/maintain them correctly, and that caged balls were no real advantage, and could in most cases be replaced by a stronger arrangement of loose balls, I don't think I have wrecked a headset.

(*) For example here there was one poor blighter who had experienced bad indexing on no less than (IIRC) four Dura Ace 1" theaded headsets in succession. I think he'd read what JB had written and assumed he had the same problem ( and said "they don't seem to be very strong...."). He had, of course, nothing of the sort; he'd been screwing the adjusting race down finger tight and then bringing the locknut down on top of it, thus (probably) generating a good fraction of one tonne preload on the bearings. Because they were high quality bearings, they initially didn't bind badly despite the monstrous preload, but the service loads soon added to the preload and indented the bearings (all the way round....).

cheers

I have a Shimano Deore LX 1" threaded headset with cartridge bearings on a touring bike I bought in the mid '90s and have never serviced the headset and it's not notched. The bike has gotten a lot of use over the last number of years, but it was a hanger queen for a lot of years prior.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just as well your LX is not notched because the correct bearings are very difficult to find now. IIRC they are a bit like the cane creek C2 ones, in that they have quite large ball bearings inside and plenty of them (i.e. they are full complement type); IIRC the bearings will either be 18 x 5/32" or 20 x 5/32". If the latter this makes them about 25% stronger than a typical cartridge bearing (25 x 1/8") that is found in a modern A-head headset.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanky mikey.

Useful info.

You may be right about the headset - have the impression that Ridgeback, knowing bikes, tends to spec stuff sensibly.

Will report back and with your info may be able to just from opening my bike up.

Thanks for the link to the other also useful thread - have posted a question on it on the subject of headset grease for brucey.
Sweep
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:just as well your LX is not notched because the correct bearings are very difficult to find now. IIRC they are a bit like the cane creek C2 ones, in that they have quite large ball bearings inside and plenty of them (i.e. they are full complement type); IIRC the bearings will either be 18 x 5/32" or 20 x 5/32". If the latter this makes them about 25% stronger than a typical cartridge bearing (25 x 1/8") that is found in a modern A-head headset.

cheers

Do you have a source for these bearings or even for a complete headset? I'd like to keep this bike for many more years.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the last time I looked there was a bike shop in mainland Europe (Poland I think) which had NOS bearings. My nearest LBS has a drawer full of these headsets, used, all with corroded bearings in them. You will find lots of headsets on e-bay which use similar bearings, but of course you don't know if they will be knackered too....

cheers
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:the last time I looked there was a bike shop in mainland Europe (Poland I think) which had NOS bearings. My nearest LBS has a drawer full of these headsets, used, all with corroded bearings in them. You will find lots of headsets on e-bay which use similar bearings, but of course you don't know if they will be knackered too....

cheers

I found a new SLX headset on eBay for ~$70. Might buy it.

Can these bearings be disassembled and serviced? I read on bikepro.com that they are not true sealed bearings, whatever that means.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you know I was just wondering the same thing; I can't remember if they can or can't be stripped down; I have never done it anyway.... BITD you could buy the replacement cartridges quite cheaply and it didn't seem worth it, so they were just replaced when they went bad.

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep wrote:Thanky mikey.

Useful info.

You may be right about the headset - have the impression that Ridgeback, knowing bikes, tends to spec stuff sensibly.

Will report back and with your info may be able to just from opening my bike up.

Thanks for the link to the other also useful thread - have posted a question on it on the subject of headset grease for brucey.

May be a few weeks delay mikey before i can report back. Big ride coming up and though doubtless the job is pretty simple I never like tinkering with stuff before a big ride. Bike is a 2016 model but it has had only just over a year's use at the mo and all is well. I will take the headset apart though as soon as poss and report back.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well I eventually got round to this.

And, mikeymo, the headset on my bike turned out to be exactly as you had predicted.

And so, lo, the bearings were not cartridge bearings at all but caged loose bearings.

Which is I think possibly the best system for ease of maintenance.

Am thankful that I won't have to try to peer at indecipherable markings on any cartridge bearings - nor spend hours of research online looking for exact replacements. And although the headset looks fairly basic I trust Ridgeback's speccings and so am hopeful that with decent maintenance it will run for the rest of the life of me and the bike with just a few balls to buy.

Am afraid that I didn't measure the balls mikeymo as I only returned to read through this thread once the bike was all back together and I was all cleaned up.

So, yes, as you say the headset is branded VP though I too have the idea that this is part of the Cane Creek group.

From googling I have the idea that the headset is now discontinued, which seems a pity for such a straightforward thing, but hopefully, as above, this won't matter.

It was a good job that I did take the thing apart (have been meaning to ever since I bought the bike about two years ago) as there was some very very slight rust on the top of the fork inside the headtube - quickly wiped off/cleaned up with an oily rag.

Of more concern was that there appeared to be very little grease at all around the bearings. There was also some small dust-like contamination on one of the races.

So I'd advise anyone with a brand new bike to peer inside the headset ASAP.

So I smothered everything in this:

Silkolene Pro RG2

As in here, though I think I got it from some other ebay place.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene-PR ... 1841244015

On closer examination it was as brucey said I think - at the top the sealing doesn't look great. It appears to down to a metal (!) split chamfered washer - peering at it it looks to me as if water could quite easily get in through this, particularly the slotted bit.

So I'll be taking it apart every year. No great matter - a simple job with the caged bearings and as others had advised I simply laid the bike on its side.

Job done - no cartridge bearings - wahay :)

On the entire bike - not counting the simply swappable bottom bracket.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:Well I eventually got round to this.
Am thankful that I won't have to try to peer at indecipherable markings on any cartridge bearings - nor spend hours of research online looking for exact replacements. And although the headset looks fairly basic I trust Ridgeback's speccings and so am hopeful that with decent maintenance it will run for the rest of the life of me and the bike with just a few balls to buy. ....

Well, that's exactly because you did the maintenance right on time.
Had you left the headset not serviced (and almost all the off-the-shelf bikes will hardly have any decent lubrication there) it would have suffered from rust or corrosion, which results in at least a new crown-race (good luck in finding a compatible one) and ball-bearings; or in the most common situation there's enough rust to require a complete ned headset installed, because the races in the cups will be beyond repair and new bearings won't roll smooth on their damaged surface.

Given the low price of budget new parts, in both systems there may not be any reason to over-complicate someone's life: install things properly, pack them with grease, try to keep the bike clean. If the parts fails, is £15 that won't make you bankrupt and saved a couple of hours of your life that you can enjoy at the pub :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:Given the low price of budget new parts, in both systems there may not be any reason to over-complicate someone's life: install things properly, pack them with grease, try to keep the bike clean. If the parts fails, is £15 :

Sorry gatto, don't quite understand - are you suggesting I just pack with grease and don't bother with any subsequent maintenance/disassembly?

Any problem material problem with a headset will surely cost more than £15 for the average person won't it because of the need to get a bike shop involved with fitting?

Gattonero wrote: (and almost all the off-the-shelf bikes will hardly have any decent lubrication there)

Often idly wondered about this. Why I why do they do (or not do) this? Surely no trouble to slap some grease on a new bit?
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

manufacturers routinely underestimate the quality and the quantity of grease that is required to ensure that headsets, BBs etc will survive in UK conditions. Why? I think that it is

a) the UK market is only a small fraction of the total market and/or
b) provided the parts don't fail in warranty (and are not weaselled out of by 'fair wear and tear' clauses) it isn't their problem even if the parts fail completely.

A replacement headset is indeed only £15 or so but for an average bike owner it means putting it in the LBS or wrestling with needlessly numerous variations in headset specification and tools etc for fitting them. Not a cakewalk if you don't do it every day, that, and the new headset will go exactly the same way as the old one unless steps are taken; why not spend half an hour making sure the first headset doesn't fail prematurely?

IME even relatively inexpensive headsets can be made to last a very long time if you

a) keep the water out
b) pack with loose balls (not clipped ones)
c) keep the thing adjusted
d) pack with decent grease

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:
IME even relatively inexpensive headsets can be made to last a very long time if you

a) keep the water out
b) pack with loose balls (not clipped ones)
c) keep the thing adjusted
d) pack with decent grease

cheers

Point taken brucey - was getting lazy - will probably change this bike to loose balls on its next service - my threaded headset bikes have mostly been changed to loose balls.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Given the low price of budget new parts, in both systems there may not be any reason to over-complicate someone's life: install things properly, pack them with grease, try to keep the bike clean. If the parts fails, is £15 :

Sorry gatto, don't quite understand - are you suggesting I just pack with grease and don't bother with any subsequent maintenance/disassembly?

Any problem material problem with a headset will surely cost more than £15 for the average person won't it because of the need to get a bike shop involved with fitting?

Nope, my point is that there's no need to look for the most expensive or complicated or overbuilt things if they're not installed properly.
A £15 caged-bearings Tange headset or any £15 cartrdige headset, both can last many years as long as they are correctly installed (with bearings in the correct plane), properly lubricated, and keeping the contamination to a minimum.
Then one has to see how precious is the spare time that is allowed to. Some people will easily spend more than £15 only for their work lunch on a daily basis...

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote: (and almost all the off-the-shelf bikes will hardly have any decent lubrication there)

Often idly wondered about this. Why I why do they do (or not do) this? Surely no trouble to slap some grease on a new bit?

Off-the-shelf bikes are built to a price point. Man labour is one of the most expensive slices of the cake. Large scale production of bikes is done in incredible short times on an assembly line, there's a guy that will brush a bit of grease in those cups and toss the bearings in. Quite litterally. The following guy will toss the stem and tighten the preload cap in a "he'd be allright" way. No surprise that most of those headsets -whether are cartridge or caged bearings- do fail prematurely :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...