worn rims; why you should be concerned and when you should be worried

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

worn rims; why you should be concerned and when you should be worried

Post by Brucey »

Everyone knows that rims wear out with rim brakes. Life expectancy varies with treatment and rim type; some folk manage to destroy rims in 5K miles or less, and others manage tens of thousands of miles. A bit like chain wear I suppose; under benign conditions wear rates can be at least ten times less than under the worst conditions.

IME rims wear most slowly when soft compound brake blocks are used and both the rim and brake block are kept clean. A very common cause of excessively fast rim wear is that particles (small stones and/or pieces of rim) get stuck the brake blocks. This makes a distinctive sound; if you must use the brakes anyway, bursts of 1s braking, 1s rest, and 1s braking again can often shift the particles; this seems to work because the particles melt the surrounding brake block material and are then more easily torn out of the surface of the brake block when the brakes are applied the second time. By contrast during continuous braking, the particles tend just to get pushed into the brake block further and further.

Examining the brake block faces and picking debris out of them is rarely time wasted; there is nearly always something there, rather than nothing. Note that the main source of particles may be the (new) rims themselves; pieces of swarf may be mashed into the surface during machining, yet not be visible and more to the point easily torn out of the surface and transferred to the brake block in use, rendering the brake block incredibly abrasive. Rims vary (even from the same maker) but it isn't that unusual to find that the first set of brake blocks on a new rims is quickly so contaminated that the best option is to fit replacements.

When the rim is too thin, it can fail suddenly; the tyre pressure tears the rim lip from the rim and the normal result is a dramatic blowout, with the wheel possibly jamming between the brakes as it happens.

So when to get concerned? Well this is easy enough if the rim has visible wear indicators; when they are no longer visible the rim is finished. Some rims have non-visible ('breakthrough' type) wear indicators; when the rim is worn out the wear indicators become visible, as the wear breaks into a cavity inside the rim.

Ryde (Rigida) Sputnik rim, with a 'breakthrough' wear indication design

In any case there may be some warning of imminent failure, as the rim lips 'flare' outwards as the tyres are pumped up, or the braking becomes 'pulsy' as the rim flares more at one part than another. [NB modern rims are very rarely of uniform wall thickness, even if the extrusion is very well made, because rims are imperfectly fixtured before the braking surfaces are machined.]

However some rims don't have wear indicators at all, and others (such as those with breakthrough wear indicators) don't give much indication of how much life is left in the rim; this leaves you guessing if you are just about to head off on a tour; will your rims last the distance? Thus there is a need to measure the remaining rim thickness. It is necessary to measure at several locations to be sure of it, since wear need not be even and the rim didn't start out uniform thickness anyway. However once armed with this information, what do you do with it?

Most rims are 'perfectly safe' at 1.0mm wall thickness and get worse from there. Most still hang together at ~0.7mm thickness but not all, and it depends what tyre is fitted, how high the pressure is, how strong the material is, and whether there are any defects in the rim. Most folk know that a fatter tyre stresses the rim more at the same pressure, but beyond that don't have much of a feel for it.

For example which of these three creates more stress in the rim?

a) a 25mm tyre @ 90 psi, rim thickness of 0.8mm
b) a 23mm tyre @ 80psi, rim thickness of 0.7mm
c) a 28mm tyre @ 100psi, rim thickness of 0.9mm

Well the answer may surprise you; the 28mm tyre, (even though it is the largest section and the highest pressure) creates the least stress in the rim, the 25mm tyre case is ~15% worse than that, and the 23mm tyre, even at the lowest pressure, creates stresses that are about 40% higher than the 28mm tyre case.

The reason for this is that the effect of rim wall thickness is much more powerful than you might expect. The peak bending stresses in the rim go roughly with the cube of the thickness.

So taking a thickness of 1.0mm as a starting point;

thickness 1.0mm = starting stress
thickness 0.9mm = 1.37 x starting stress
thickness 0.8mm = 1.95 x starting stress
thickness 0.7mm = 2.92 x starting stress
thickness 0.6mm = 4.63 x starting stress
thickness 0.5mm = 8 x starting stress

so wearing from 1.0 to 0.8mm almost doubles the stress in the rim and wearing to 0.7mm almost triples it!

Additionally stresses are roughly pro-rata with tyre section and pressure. The ability of the rim to withstand it is also roughly in proportion to the strength of the material, which can be up to ~50% stronger in some cases than the weakest material. Thus at any given rim thickness you can create different stresses too. So comparing two cases;

A: 25mm tyre at 90psi on a rim of high strength material
B: 28mm tyre at 100psi on a rim of low strength material

the latter case means the rim is relatively over twice as stressed as the former. So if rim 'B' would start to fail with the tyre at just over 100psi (say) then rim A would accept a tyre pressure (in the 25mm tyre fitted) of over 180psi without risk of failure. Another way of looking at it is that rim A could be worn to a thickness of ~0.15 to ~0.2mm less than case B before the rim blows out.

The latter seems like a much smaller difference; you might not notice if the rim thickness drops by 0.15 or 0.2mm but this has just the same effect on the rim stresses as if you pumped your tyres up twice as hard as normal!

So one way of checking that the rims are not on the way out is to deliberately overpressure the tyres occasionally; this 'proof tests' both the tyre and the rim. For example if the tyres normally run at 80psi (say) instead of just pumping them up to 80psi and then riding, you could pump them to 100psi and see if the rim starts to deform or not. If they are OK at 100psi then deflate the tyres to the working pressure of 80psi and go ride that day, safe in the knowledge that you have a safety margin of at least 20%. Note that this only corresponds to about 50 microns (0.05mm) of rim wear though; two day's ride in moderately bad conditions or even a single day's ride in the worst conditions might still be enough to finish the rim off.

Bearing this in mind maybe testing by overpressuring to + 40% or +50% is a better idea; if the tyre or the rim fails during this test, it was on the way out anyway.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Re: worn rims; why you should be concerned and when you should be worried

Post by mig »

thanks.

note to self - must replace worn open pro on one commuter bike. looks like it may pop at any time.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Having seen and replaced many thousands of rims, there's no real "standard rule" that applies for all rims.

For a start, rims can be made by very different alloys, i.e. some modern rims are made with highly heat-treated alloys that are quite hard, thus they seem to withstand wear in a better way and they won't deform easily with the tyre pressure.
Also the geometry of the extrusion plays an important role, some rims have the central well that is linked almost half-way to the sidewalls/braking track, so again this may not deform much with tyre pressure.

The tyre pressure is what is going to make the rims unsafe, after all. So my advice is to check the deformation at 0psi and the riding pressure. A rim that is worn to the point of being unsafe will show up very easily and all it needs is a flat ruler against the braking track. Of course, a rims that is already concave at 0psi, because of wear, is more likely to fail.

As far as "how long will it last?", well the lucky ones that can travel the world in one shot, they better replace anything before the trip anyway. The other folks, the ones that would do a few hundred miles in one trip, can simply make the maths of how many miles have lead to the existing wear, against the mileage of the next trip.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
iow

Post by iow »

Brucey wrote:Everyone knows that rims wear out .....cheers

interesting reading - thanks
mark
RickH

Post by RickH »

A couple of comments

If you run a 25mm tyre at 90psi you are unlikely to be running 28mm at 100psi. I ran (in theory still do run) 28s at around 70-80psi when on otherwise the same bike I ran at 90-95psi on 25s.

Local geography also plays a part - here on the edge of the West Pennine Moors we have more wet than some parts - NW England being one of the wetter areas, steep hills - narrow lanes with poor sight lines & gradients often >10% & not unusual to find sections >20% &, to make the perfect storm, Millstone Grit in the geology so the gritty run off on the lanes is a nice(!) abrasive :? .

I'm not a brake dragger - I'll happily ride at speeds well in excess of 40mph where conditions allow - but I was wearing Open Pros out in around 4-5,000 miles. That was improved a somewhat by softer, more sacrificial, brake blocks (& rim wear is pretty much non-existent now I'm almost exclusively riding bikes with disc brakes :D )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

RickH wrote:A couple of comments

.....If you run a 25mm tyre at 90psi you are unlikely to be running 28mm at 100psi. I ran (in theory still do run) 28s at around 70-80psi when on otherwise the same bike I ran at 90-95psi on 25s.....

of course; just making the point that there are different setups that people do use (rather than that the setups chosen are actually comparable for the same use) and this ought to be taken into account when trying to figure out how close to the wind you are sailing.

BTW there is something to be said for using the front brake in preference to the rear (when conditions permit) simply because the front rim is almost invariably a fair bit cleaner than the rear. The way muck runs off the mudguards can make a big difference here; travelling slowly down a steep hill a lot of setups can deposit crud on the front rim where normally it would stay cleaner.

cheers
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Didn't the typical U section rim of old (Rigida, Weinmann etc) have about double the wall thickness at the rim face compared to modern box section rims like the Open Pro. If you want a rim to weigh around 600 grammes, then the material will be more thinly spread on a box section rim as opposed to a U one.

Now that people are riding larger tyres on average, is the benefit of box section rims for the typical, non-racing cyclist worth giving up for the extra material gained at the rim face with U shaped rims?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Freddie if by "U shape rims" you mean the old "twin channel" designs then yes I did think that myself - these rims may have been heavier but were very robust. I got good service from my old Araya VP 20 rims and used them as "spare 26" wheels for many years
Apparently this is how they were originally...
This is how they ended up when I retired them... after they donated their body to science!
The rim thickness is pretty marginal but the worst thing is that the tyre pressure has resulted in the rim flaring outward, as noted in the thread above. I could see it was only a matter of time before they exploded on me like my contemporary Richey Vantage Comp rear rim did. Incidentally once I removed the wheel I realised the freewheel axle had also snapped and the wheel was being held in place by the QR - god knows how long it had been like this !!! The bike is running Sputnik rims now with proper Deore LX FH-T670 hubs..
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Perhaps then it would suffice to put a calliper around the outside of the rim to measure its width: start worrying when it significantly (?) increases under the 40% overpressure test. This would avoid you having to remove the tyre to measure the wall thickness.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

I had a Raleigh mountain bike in the early 90's (Dyna-Tech Ogre XT) that had rims with a similar section to the VP20 above. The rims were labeled Bontrager BCR-1 front and BCR-2 rear (made by Weinmann i think). The BCR-1 weighed 400g I believe so was a pretty light rim, the BCR-2 rear was a bit heavier I seem to remember.

My partner and myself left the house on our bikes one day and we lived at the time on top of a steep hill about 1/2 mile long. I was waiting on the side of the road for my partner to catch me up after locking the door, when there was an almighty explosion that made my ears ring for a while afterwards.

It soon became apparent that the side wall of the rim had split shortly after pumping the tires up at home. The inner tube was in shreds as was the rim but the tire (cant remember what it was) seemed ok. Luckily I was able to carry the bike back home and fit a spare wheel and then we set off but was still a bit worried about the rear wheel and soon purchased some new Mavic rims to replace both Bontrager ones.

The experience was terrifying as a few moments later I would have been traveling downhill at 30mph plus and dread to think of the consequences of a front rim exploding in those circumstances. I cant understand why all rims don't have some kind of wear indicator integrated into them.

Please be careful and if in doubt get hold of a new rim!
zenitb

Agreed ...leaving it too long is blddy dangerous!

Post by zenitb »

My similar 1990s rear rim suddenly cracked cycling round a roundabout in traffic just outside Farnham. The whole inner tube came out like a huge sausage (bizarrely unpunctured) but somehow didnt jam the wheel so I could pull over safely. That was a bit of a wake up call for me and that is when I also retired the distorted Araya VP20 rim I pictured above. All my recent self-built wheels (Ryde, Exal rims) have wear indicators and I have moved to disc wheels for my new "ride to work" belt drive bike..hoping for lower maintenance/longer service life overall ...
zenitb

re: Samuel's proposed caliper test

Post by zenitb »

Samuel D wrote:Perhaps then it would suffice to put a calliper around the outside of the rim to measure its width: start worrying when it significantly (?) increases under the 40% overpressure test. This would avoid you having to remove the tyre to measure the wall thickness.
Interesting idea Samuel. the VP20 rim shown above was a pretty extreme case though..This had been ridden for 20 years on and off..including braking "metal on metal" (worn out pads) on occasions and of the four bikes the wheel had been on one had been written off with a broken frame while the wheel was on it (bad landing). In reality I should have ditched that rim long before it got into that state...
RickH

Post by RickH »

Samuel D wrote:Perhaps then it would suffice to put a calliper around the outside of the rim to measure its width: start worrying when it significantly (?) increases under the 40% overpressure test. This would avoid you having to remove the tyre to measure the wall thickness.

Using an iwanson gauge (less than £5 from UK sources on eBay or Amazon) doesn't necessitate removing the tyre (or even the wheel).

If you deflate the tyre & push the tyre bead away from the rim you can measure the rim thickness below the hook of the rim, preferably at multiple points as there is likely to be some variation - I tend to go for adjacent to each spoke laced to that side of the hub, probably more than needed but better than too few measurements.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes I think that would work. I think you could make life easier for yourself by making a go/no-go gauge, simply by cutting a slot in (say) a piece of aluminium sheet metal to fit snugly over your (new) rims. That way you don't have to remember how wide the rims should be...

The other thing that is a bit of a giveaway is that the rims get worn concave on the braking surface; this means the rim is missing metal and/or has 'flared out', eg.

cheers
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

RickH wrote:

Using an iwanson gauge (less than £5 from UK sources on eBay or Amazon) doesn't necessitate removing the tyre (or even the wheel).

If you deflate the tyre & push the tyre bead away from the rim you can measure the rim thickness below the hook of the rim, preferably at multiple points as there is likely to be some variation - I tend to go for adjacent to each spoke laced to that side of the hub, probably more than needed but better than too few measurements.

Rick those iwanson guages look good .. I will have to add one to my toolkit ..