Using spray degreaser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Using spray degreaser

Post by Sweep »

Question brought on by my imminent headset cartridge bearing checking.

Until now I have only used (pretty aggressive liquid) degreaser when cleaning chains and have always rinsed and then dried the chains well before re-oiling as I had the impression that residual degreaser would interfere with the new oil.

I have serviced loose ball headset bearings before and also wheel bearings but must confess that I have never used degreaser. I just wipe everything well and apply new grease.

Is there any need?

But I see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSN9hWHIN4

which begs my other question - I can't see any removal of the degreaser - does it just evaporate/head heavenwards?

And is it a good idea to spray degreaser INTO a cartridge bearing without taking it apart/thoroughly degreasing?

And I stress that despite the enthusiasm for some on here, I am trying to avoid taking the cartridge bearings apart.

So, in short, two questions.

1: Do you really need to use degreaser?

2: Do you need to worry about removing it?
Sweep
alexnharvey

Re: Using spray degreaser

Post by alexnharvey »

1. Yes, for thorough cleaning degreaser is required.

2. Yes, degreaser will affect the new lubricant if not removed.

I think it will depend on whether it's a detergent or solvent based degreaser.

If solvent based then evaporating, gentle heat and air blast should be sufficient. If detergent based then thorough rinsing and/or displacing it with a solvent would be best.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Petrol works well and then evaporates.
Drop stuff in a container - clean tin can is good - tuna maybe - and shoogle it about with a small paint brush.
Best to pop the seals off the bearing.

As for the what the chap was doing, all he was doing was replacing the bearings, not cleaning and inspecting. A clean cloth would have worked as well as anything for what he did.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

Those methods are fine but I think that it would be overkill.

It would be adequate to squirt in some GT85 or similar and spin, repeat until things feel nice. Leave to dry a while.
Then fill up with grease.

In my case it would be Duck Oil which I buy by the gallon and waterproof grease because water (or sweat) seems to cause the headset problems.
Yma o Hyd
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Mick F wrote:Petrol works well and then evaporates.

There are plenty of alternative solvents to petrol as a degreaser. Diesel, paraffin, or white spirit, all have higher flash points and would be safer options.
meic

Post by meic »

The attraction of petrol is that it leaves the bearings bone dry and sparkling clean, in a way that the others dont. I have pretty much weaned myself off petrol for these things but not entirely.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if a cartridge bearing is clean inside simply pushing clean grease through it is sufficient. If it is dirty/corroded inside then it is already on the way out, and cleaning it won't make that much difference; it will need to be serviced/relubed again more often than normal to stand any chance.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

On chains you cant just dry them with a rag because there will be water inside every roller. Gentle warming will evaporate it, then an oil bath to get oil into the right places. Alternative is to sparingly use an evaporating solvent. To think we used to use Trichloroethylene baths back in the 60s!!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Norman H wrote:
Mick F wrote:Petrol works well and then evaporates.

There are plenty of alternative solvents to petrol as a degreaser. Diesel, paraffin, or white spirit, all have higher flash points and would be safer options.

Totally agree. I use white spirit, more easily available off-the-shelf (along with meths) than the alternatives, and I usually have some in stock for other purposes!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:To think we used to use Trichloroethylene baths back in the 60s!!
Al

I've got a spray can of the stuff, a throwback to the 70's when it was used quite liberally to clean stuff, especially electrical motors etc. We even use to gargle the stuff :shock: oh hang on a minute wasn't that TCP! :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

rjb wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:To think we used to use Trichloroethylene baths back in the 60s!!
Al

I've got a spray can of the stuff, a throwback to the 70's when it was used quite liberally to clean stuff, especially electrical motors etc. We even use to gargle the stuff :shock: oh hang on a minute wasn't that TCP! :lol:

I used to give anaesthetics with the stuff. Not missed in that application.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:Those methods are fine but I think that it would be overkill.

It would be adequate to squirt in some GT85 or similar and spin, repeat until things feel nice. Leave to dry a while.
Then fill up with grease.

I think this is the approach I will go for meic. Am sure it will be fine. Am a great believer in lots of things on a bike being sortable with a rag of varying degrees of oiliness and a good rub.

Will coat everything liberally with good quality grease.
Sweep
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Petrol vapour - kaboom! if accumulates in a confined space
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.