Chain slipping with new drive chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
craigr12

Chain slipping with new drive chain

Post by craigr12 »

Hello,

I was experiencing the tell-tale slipping sensation on my morningclimb last week and, right enough, upon checking, my chain was worn. I replaced the chainset (tripple), chain and cassette this weekend but I'm still getting a wee bit of slipping. I set the chain length by threading it around the biggest rings fron and back - omitting the derailleur - and adding an extra link as I've been doing for years.

Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong, please?

Thanks,
Craig
Vorpal

Re: Chain slipping with new drive chain

Post by Vorpal »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'omitting the derailleur', but my guess would be that your chain ring is worn.

p.s. di the OP edit the post? Or did I miss the bit about replacing the chainset?!? :P
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

I think that we need a better description of the slipping.

If the whole chainset, chain and cassette have been replaced, then they should be eliminated as the cause.
Other things that might come under "slipping" may be things like a sticky freehub which makes a bang when you start pedaling again, gears jumping due to a rear derailleur issue.
It could be a stiff link in the new chain.
Yma o Hyd
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

As already mentioned a stiff link sounds like a likely culprit.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Or the wrong sized quick link was used to join the new chain....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if there is no stiff link or other assembly problem, there is an outside chance that the problem is in the freewheel/freehub mechanism.

If the slipping sensation is identical to that encountered previously, this goes from 'outside chance' to 'quite likely'.

In general if you need to measure a chain to tell that it is worn, it isn't so badly worn that it might be expected to have running problems, and slipping with slightly worn chains isn't that commonplace anyway. How worn was the old chain? Slips with worn/mismatched chains are usually confined to certain gears and not others; slips due to a faulty/sticky freewheel mechanism, rather less so.

Stiff/faulty links tend to provoke skipping on a regular basis, i.e. every time the chain goes round once, or occasionally every other time round.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~