Shimano Nexus 3d55, rim and lubrication.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Shimano Nexus 3d55, rim and lubrication.

Post by alexnharvey »

I'll soon be recieving a Nexus 3d55 built into a 26 inch rim, as part of a package with a Genesis Day One which typically takes 700c wheels.

I already have a 700c front dynamo wheel that I would like to use, so I'm considering relacing the rear hub into a matching 700c rim. Are there any special considerations for this hub like there are for the larger alfine 8 and 11, or does the smaller flange size mean no special rim or spoke lacing is needed? What would be a good value rim?

Also, can I simply inject semifluid grease through the shifter port or would it be worth fitting a port in the centre be worthwhile?
Brucey

Re: Shimano Nexus 3d55, rim and lubrication.

Post by Brucey »

injecting SFG through the axle (using a grease gun) will work fine; it will put the lube in a place where it will be spread throughout the hub nicely as you ride. If you do drill the hubshell, note that there are places where it won't be possible to drill; there are steel inserts in the hubshell that you should not (and indeed cannot, they are hard) drill through. In any event if you overdo it with the lube you may get some coming out on the LHS which risks disc contamination.

This hub has an aluminium shell which means that you don't have to worry so much about spoke fit as with steel shelled variants. However the hub is drilled for 13g spokes so I would recommend 13-14g SB spokes or to use 14G spokes with spoke washers if you have any doubt about the fit at the hub end. Build x3, observing shimano's recommendations for spoking such wheels, i.e. outside spokes 'pulling' on the RHS, 'pushing' on the LHS.

It may be Ok to use a rim that matches the front one you have, but if this is a bit flimsy it is OK to go a bit heavier and a bit wider at the rear; the rear wheel sees more load than the front. Just in case you might want to install the wheel in a rim-braked frame in the future, I don't think it hurts to use a rim-brake rim even though you don't plan to use rim brakes right now. If possible choose a rim that has a common ERD and the most common stagger pattern; this will help if the rim ever needs to be replaced.

BTW if possible (it may not be if the axle has no flats at one end) it isn't a bad idea to install a second NTW on the other side of the hub; I think the hub may come with just one, and two is better. In a similar vein you can sometimes install two NTWs (one each side of the dropout) even if the axle has flats at one end only.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Re: Shimano Nexus 3d55, rim and lubrication.

Post by alexnharvey »

Thank Brucey. I've been considering a rim brake rim because my other city bike has a Nexus 8r25 and it would allow me to swap the 3d55 onto it in future, although unfortunately I can't use the 8r25 on the day one unless I fit a roller brake.