Sourcing a new thru axle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stevenwjones

Sourcing a new thru axle

Post by Stevenwjones »

Hi there,

I need to replace a thru axle for my carbon frame bike. The original was 12mm by about 124 or 125mm.

I found a replacement fairly easily online but when it arrived the pitch isn't correct and holding it up to the rear axle it appears to be to wide. The one I purched had a 1.5 pitch.

I'm really struggling to find a replacement axle with any finer/smaller pitch and it appears to be very non standard. Can anyone advise on some good sources or, worst case, who I might ask to have one made especially.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Mr Evil

Re: Sourcing a new thru axle

Post by Mr Evil »

There are an infuriatingly large number of thru-axle standards, both front and rear. All of the front ones I have seen before have been 1.5mm pitch, but a bit of searching found two M12x1 front axles: one that claims to be a Syntace standard and one Specialized (I'm not suggesting those places as sources, they are just what came up while searching). Hopefully knowing which manufacturers' "standard" the axle might be for will help you find one.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Stevenwjones wrote:Hi there,

I need to replace a thru axle for my carbon frame bike. The original was 12mm by about 124 or 125mm.

I found a replacement fairly easily online but when it arrived the pitch isn't correct and holding it up to the rear axle it appears to be to wide. The one I purched had a 1.5 pitch.

I'm really struggling to find a replacement axle with any finer/smaller pitch and it appears to be very non standard. Can anyone advise on some good sources or, worst case, who I might ask to have one made especially.

Thanks in advance

Steve

AFAIK, you have 1.25 or 15mm pitch, the length is easy to measure from the old one.
A good idea is looking for the forks manufacturer, most often will offer a replacement skewer.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is a rigid fork that was supplied with (and branded like) the frame, then going to the frame manufacturer may be the best route. For example you can buy through-axles that are branded 'cube' for cube bikes and (do check to be sure) I think they use a 12 x 1.0mm thread.

I also think that the available thread pitches in 12mm through axles are

1.0mm
1.5mm
1.75mm

If the legend "X12" appears, I think there is a pretty fair chance that the pitch is 1.0mm.

Also note that as well as the threading, the shape of the head varies somewhat between different systems.

BTW what has happened to the old axle?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~