Spoke head angle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pete75

Spoke head angle

Post by pete75 »

x
Last edited by pete75 on 23 Sep 2018, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Gattonero

Re: Spoke head angle

Post by Gattonero »

It's geometry given by hub flange diameter, flange offset to the center of the hub, and rim diameter.
The higher are the first two values, and the smaller is the last, the worse the wheel becomes.

To counteract this, some hubs would use canted flanges (i.e. the rear Lh one), most quality rims would have directional spoke holes (some go as far as having a 4-directional drilling), and especially the wheelbuilder would choose and adjust things accordingly.

Bear in mind that spokes can bend a fair amount, in fact is the wheelbuilder's job to "form" them on the flange correctly. I never bothered to measure the angle, but if you've seen a standard large flange hub (like a Shimano Deore disk) on a standard 26" double-wall rim, you'll see the spokes will have a bend on the front Rh and on the rear Lh, just as they leave the hub flange there is a bend that has to be smooth. This is not detrimental and the spoke won't break there.

In a nutshell: may I ask what wheels are you referring to, and what is the concern about? And are you sure about "gauge 8" for the spokes,is it a motorcycle? Bicycle spokes will be no more than 13g, 14g being the most common and 15g used only in old racing bicycles.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

x
Last edited by pete75 on 23 Sep 2018, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

No petrol engines here? :mrgreen:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:No petrol engines here? :mrgreen:

Ok - sorry I asked. All gone now.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW some tandem/carrier bike wheels are built using 12G spokes, and 15G spokes are alive and well too; DT make them (and so do other companies) and quite a few factory wheels come with 15G plain gauge spokes in as a weight-saving measure. PG 15G spokes don't cost any more than 14G ones but are almost as light as 14/16G DB ones.

Needless to say the 12G parts look a lot like the ones you might find on a small motorcycle, for the simple reason that in many cases, that is exactly what they are, or how they started out anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I've seen and used 13G in some Dutch bikes, and 12g in Rickshaws, but never 8g!

The 15G P/g I'm not sure is actually available in all the sizes, more common the 14g with 15g at the end like the DT Supercomp, not ideal in modern wheels (diminishing returns)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:I've seen and used 13G in some Dutch bikes, and 12g in Rickshaws, but never 8g!

I can assure you 8g spokes exist.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote: The 15G P/g I'm not sure is actually available in all the sizes....

in the UK? Probably not. But DT (and any other spoke manufacturer )

a) make many more types of spoke than you are ever offered for sale in the UK (for example odd numbered lengths in mm) and
b) will happily make whatever a bike manufacturer requires of them, provided there is enough quantity ordered.

All DT spokes used to be made in one European factory. Now they are made in several plants across the world closer to the places where most bikes are built these days. Other spoke manufacturers are doing the same thing.

Hence there are not-terribly-expensive wheels coming out of factories in Taiwan, with good quality (eg DT) 15G PG spokes in the wheels, in odd lengths that leave the spoke end mid-height in the slot, just like they should be. In the UK one can't easily source spokes that will do the same thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

In other countries I'm told it's even worse.
Btw, has been a long while since I've seen factory wheels/bikes built with with 15g P/G spokes. Considering that people seems to be riding harder than before, it doesn't make much sense to me an OTP wheel with 32x 15g spokes, let alone on disk-brake wheels or 11sp compatible hubs
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I've seen and used 13G in some Dutch bikes, and 12g in Rickshaws, but never 8g!

I'm sure they may exist in a thicker gauge too, but can't see an effective use in a bicycle.
No need to feel sorry, it's just an odd question that isn't easy to answer as the bicycle does not work the same way as a motorcycle.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I'm sure they may exist in a thicker gauge too, but can't see an effective use in a bicycle.
No need to feel sorry, it's just an odd question that isn't easy to answer as the bicycle does not work the same way as a motorcycle.

Some bikes use even heavier gauge spokes

gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

My mate's 'ordinary' must have 10g or even 8g (1/8" !) spokes, from memory. There are lots and they are radial btw.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
pete75 wrote:

try to reach the handlebar bag on that thing! :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

try to reach the handlebar bag on that thing! :lol:

Good saddle though - a crate of beer :wink: