Outer rubber layer of tyre split

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gxaustin

Outer rubber layer of tyre split

Post by gxaustin »

I noticed what I thought was a split in the sidewall of my rear tyre, having just changed a tube about 60 mls from home. On closer inspection it turned out that the outer layer of rubber only had been scored/cut for about 4mm, exposing the fabric which has every appearance of being intact. I imagine this could have occurred after the tyre went down but before I was able to stop safely. The tyre held for the rest of the ride (75 mls) I'm pleased to say and once home I patched it inside. This hasn't changed the appearance much.
My question is - can I apply a patch to the outside, bearing in mind the damage to the tyre is not in the tread. Will it stick? Otherwise its a trip to the bin for a lightly worn tyre :(
Brucey

Re: Outer rubber layer of tyre split

Post by Brucey »

did the 'split' coincide with the location of the hole in the tube? It is very rare that the tyre is damaged in such a way as it exposes the carcass without actually damaging it.

FWIW it seems to me that you have little to lose by trying a patch on the outside of the tyre. It might not make the tyre any stronger but it may slow water and UV from weakening the carcass, if the fabric is prone to such damage.

Patching on the inside helps the tube not to puncture on the edges of a carcass with a hole in it but doesn't reinforce the carcass much; it will carry on splitting if it has a mind to. By comparison booting with fabric on the inside does reinforce the tyre more.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Hi Brucey
Thanks for your thoughts. No the slit is in the sidewall and the puncture was through the tread.
I'll have a go with a patch and put in on the front where it will get a bit less weight.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gxaustin wrote:Hi Brucey
Thanks for your thoughts. No the slit is in the sidewall and the puncture was through the tread.
I'll have a go with a patch and put in on the front where it will get a bit less weight.

I wouldn't put it on the front, personally. I'd rather have a dodgy tyre on the rear. If the patch goes suddenly at a critical moment (i.e. going fast downhill), the bike is much more more likely to be controllable, if it's a rear tyre. A sudden front deflation is likely to result in an off.

IMO, the two times when such a patch is most likely to fail is going over a kerb or rough surface (flexing, additional force on the sidewall) or descending, when braking will warm the wheel.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I wouldn't put it on the front, personally.

That's a point. I think this tyre may be heading for somebodies turbo trainer :lol:
Better to change it than take a risk.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I would postpone patching the outside of the tyre for a while, so that you can keep a watch on whether the structure of the tyre is deteriorating. If the fabric is of a synthetic fibre such as nylon it is probably waterproof, and now we're past the equinox there's not so much need to worry about UV.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Are they Vittorias? If so there's an earlier thread on these....
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Are they Vittorias? If so there's an earlier thread on thes

No Michelin Pro 4 Endurance