Hub Dynamo for winter commute.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nigelnightmare

Re: Hub Dynamo for winter commute.

Postby nigelnightmare » 16 Dec 2019, 7:27pm

dim wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:
dim wrote:I don't really care if there are other cars or cyclists heading my way

Hmm, username checks out.

There are many poorly lit cyclists and a few blinding ones in Cambridge. Their ignorance or inconsiderateness is not a good reason for being ignorant and inconsiderate yourself, not least because you blind everyone not just your fellow dim witted brethren.

sorry mate (No your not!) .... thats just how it is (Doesn't make it right) .... I only care about myself and my safety when it comes to cycling ... but tell me the colour of your bike, and your helmet and I will will 'dim' my lights when you approach :wink:

Just like most road users you have a selfish and very short sighted attitude.
And a twisted sense of safety! How can blinding other road users make it safe?
Your Triple E3 light is illegal for use on road if it is the only front light you have fitted to the bike.
If stopped you will be told not to use it on public highways & byways.
IF you are stopped again the police can and will remove it & you will be arrested and fined.

SORRY!
It's the law.

P.S.
5 people locally have had theirs confiscated and have had points put on their driving licence as well as a fine!.

The local police stated that:-
"If you want to use it legally on the road then you have to have a second "shaped dipped beam" light and only use the E3 as a high beam on unlit roads.
You also have to have an illuminated switch fitted to the handlebars".

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 16 Dec 2019, 8:09pm

De Sisti wrote:
slowster wrote:
dim wrote:I don't really care if there are other cars or cyclists heading my way

You may care if an oncoming car or cyclist is blinded by the beam and ends up driving or riding into you because they cannot see where they are going.

People aren't that stupid that they'd drive or ride when they can't see where they're going. :shock:

H'mmm..... sadly yes. I can't find the news article, but a few years ago a local rider was using a cycle path with a very bright beam, and cycling against on coming traffic. Regrettably an on coming car, perhaps travelling faster than they should be mistook the beam for a motorcycle being ridden along the wrong side of the road. Thinking that this 'motorcycle' was further away than it was the car pulled over onto the cycle path with fatal consequences. Apologies to anyone reading this who may have known the cyclist

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 17 Dec 2019, 2:38pm

So in summary of using off-road lights on the roads:
- these lights will piss-off other road-users. In addition, some of them might accidentally run you over.
- you think 2-wrongs-make-a-right.
- if you do start riding audax (with other people) then some of them may push you in a ditch. Gently of course - we're a nice bunch.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 17 Dec 2019, 4:29pm

mattheus wrote:So in summary of using off-road lights on the roads:
- these lights will piss-off other road-users. In addition, some of them might accidentally run you over.
- if you do start riding audax (with other people) then some of them may push you in a ditch. Gently of course - we're a nice bunch.

you forgot to add

- you are breaking the law
- you can be fined
- you can have your lights confiscated
- you can end up with points on your driving licence

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dim

Postby dim » 17 Dec 2019, 6:55pm

Brucey wrote:

you forgot to add

- you can be fined

cheers

yes, but I can see .... and others can see me ....thats why I bought the light

what about all the guys riding Audax and commuting who use helmet lights? .... same thing really even worse than mine as they have the light on their helmet which is even worse for oncoming cyclists and cars

and BTW, there are 2 models of Supernova E3 triple .... the normal older cheaper Supernova E3 triple (which I have), and the Supernova E3 Triple 2 (the more powerful version which is 500 Lumens)

Mine (the older version was advertised as 800 Lumens, but it was BS as it was tested and found to be 370 Lumens ..... I have to cycle at 40Km/hr to get the full 370 Lumens

My wife's commuter USB light which is a Knog Light Blinder Road is 400 Lumens

there are tests showing that the Supernova E3 (which I have) has been used on commutes and no one has sworn or flashed their car lights etc

another reason why I opted for the Supernova 3 triple, is that I can connect it directly to my Supernova E3 triple 2 rear light, which in my opion is the best rear dynamo light on the market ... it only works with the Supernova front lights and no other make ... it has wide side beams with an angle of 250°)... even better than many USB tail lights

The Supernova is banned in Germany and not anywhere else?

I've looked at other Dynamo front lights and they are crap compared to the Supernova .... I can see further, wider and higher .... if I'm riding in the dark with a tailwind on a steep downhill that I've never been on before, I want to see what lies ahead (as far ahead as possible).... especially if there is a 90 degree bend .... brake too late and you could be swimming in the Atlantic ocean

we all read the recent post on this forum where the guy rode into a pole on the cycle path in Cambridge .... he never saw the pole, as he never saw the sign that was on top of the pole because he had a crappy light

.... look at the photos on this thread posted earlier .... with the Supernova, you can see much further and higher ... thats whats important for me .... I have a 44 year old bike with cantilever brakes not hydraulic disk

thats why many people who ride Audax such as the Indian pacific Wheel race, Tour Divide , race accross America etc use the Supernova lights....

I'm starting to save up for a Salsa Cut throat MTB for bikepacking in remoter areas, and I will definately rig it up with the Supernova lights

I spent 4 years trying to find my bike (Miyata 1000) in my size, and managed to get one in mint condition from a seller in Germany .... I have not seen one advertised in the UK .... and I have not seen anyone ride one in the UK....

I have rigged it out with the best components (what I believe to be the best) with no concern about cost .... things like Son 28, Royce rear Hub, HED Belgium plus rims, Nitto bottlecages, Brooks C17 Carved saddle, Tubus stainless steel racks, Honjo mudguars etc etc ....

I wanted the best lights for my needs, and no other dynamo lights were a better choice than the Supernova

Last edited by dim on 17 Dec 2019, 9:16pm, edited 13 times in total.

dim

Postby dim » 17 Dec 2019, 6:59pm

Brucey wrote:
mattheus wrote:- if you do start riding audax (with other people) then some of them may push you in a ditch. Gently of course - we're a nice bunch.

I've been riding Audax for a while .... :roll:

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 18 Dec 2019, 8:58am

I've not read all the thread but the mounting point is important as to how anti social the really bright lights will be. Fork crown is much better than on the bars. For me as a migraine sufferer the worst are blinking front flights - I regularly have to stop on shared routes when someone comes at me with lights flashing. Helmet and bar mounted versions are the worst. No problem with most flashing rear lights.

PH

Postby PH » 18 Dec 2019, 10:55am

dim wrote:
The Supernova is banned in Germany and not anywhere else?

I've looked at other Dynamo front lights and they are crap compared to the Supernova .... I can see further, wider and higher .... if I'm riding in the dark with a tailwind on a steep downhill that I've never been on before, I want to see what lies ahead (as far ahead as possible).... especially if there is a 90 degree bend .... brake too late and you could be swimming in the Atlantic ocean

we all read the recent post on this forum where the guy rode into a pole on the cycle path in Cambridge .... he never saw the pole, as he never saw the sign that was on top of the pole because he had a crappy light

.... look at the photos on this thread posted earlier .... with the Supernova, you can see much further and higher ... thats whats important for me

The triple doesn’t meet any countries regulations, so won’t be permitted anywhere that has such things specified, which includes the UK.
Of course it’s nicer to ride with such a light, that’s why cars have a high beam. It really ought to be obvious to everyone that what’s good for one isn’t necessarily good for everyone else, that’s why cars also have a dipped beam. Your attitude is equivalent to driving round on full beam. And before you try justifying that on the basis of power or position, I’ll repeat that neither will make much difference.
If you wanted the best lights you could have done what I do and run two. A state of the art shaped dynamo light and a blast em battery one. For those dark lonely country lanes I’ll turn night into day, yet always have the option to dip. In reality there’s very few miles when the dynamo isn’t good enough, it’s just that there’s always going to be better.
BTW - Would you please stop listing rides as Audax when they’re not.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2019, 11:33am

I haven't read through this thread so if this has been covered ignore this post.
This chap(who BTW constantly amazes me)rejected dynamo hubs and now uses power banks instead:- http://www.bikewanderer.com/on-the-road ... tery-packs
When I checked out the cost I was quite surprised how cheap powerbanks were for their power output,rechargeable lights are readily available which can be charged up from the 'bank when away from a power source,then either can be charged later at home,campsite or cafe,etc.
Obviously one needs to keep a check on battery state and use in both powerbank(s) and equipement but it's worth considering compared to a good dynamo/wheelbuild cost and would be lighter to I should think.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Dec 2019, 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 18 Dec 2019, 11:34am

dim wrote:
Brucey wrote:

you forgot to add

- you can be fined

cheers

yes, but I can see .... and others can see me ....thats why I bought the light

There we go - "I'm alright Jack - screw everyone else!"

what about all the guys riding Audax and commuting who use helmet lights? .... same thing really even worse than mine as they have the light on their helmet which is even worse for oncoming cyclists and cars

There we go - you think 2-wrongs-make-a-right. Excellent!

(of course only a minority use helmet lights, and only a few of those are too bright, but it's still no defence …)

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 18 Dec 2019, 11:43am

There's a great term for this strategy of exempting oneself from responsibility by pointing to a greater evil, "whataboutism".

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 18 Dec 2019, 12:24pm

alexnharvey wrote:There's a great term for this strategy of exempting oneself from responsibility by pointing to a greater evil, "whataboutism".

True!

I've mainly seen it used about motorists ("So I'm using my mobile? What about you lot jumping red lights? EH!")

It's sad to see another (long-distance) cyclist using it. (then again, I've had this argument about selfish, sod-you lights for years, with a variety of riders ... so nothing new here ... )

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 18 Dec 2019, 12:53pm

Cyclists can be twits too.

dim

Postby dim » 18 Dec 2019, 1:41pm

the funny thing is, many/most of the people who criticise are often the people who have no experience with it, and most probably have never ever seen one in real life either

here are UK cyclists who actually use it:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7782.0

PH

Postby PH » 18 Dec 2019, 1:57pm

dim wrote:the funny thing is, many/most of the people who criticise are often the people who have no experience with it, and most probably have never ever seen one in real life either

here are UK cyclists who actually use it:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7782.0

I posted on that thread, 2008, as I said things have moved on. At the time I had an original symmetric beam Supernova dyno light, I used to get complaints.

Edit- I bump into a couple of the posters on that thread on Audax rides. They’re no longer using the triple.