Adjusting DMR V8 pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Adjusting DMR V8 pedals

Post by Brucey »

JDPower wrote:Just a final update, for anyone that comes across this topic when searching.

After a few back and forth emails with DMR, they basically admitted the 2017 version of the V8 V2 pedals are a PITA:

"I’ve spoken with the workshop and they have confirmed it isn’t the easiest to set the tolerance on the nut. We are In the process of looking into a tool to make adjustment more straight forward but this isn’t an immediate solution."

They also very kindly offered to adjust them for me, or swap them for the earlier version of the V8 V2 for me (which is a lot more sensible to adjust if/when the time comes). I shall be taking them up on the latter offer, I don't wanna ever see the inside of the current version pedals ever again! :lol:

if it were my choice I would ask them to swap them for some 'proper' V8s which are fitted with 'proper' bearings, not these crummy bushings. The adjustment on the V2s is for axial play only. Once there is any radial play you won't be able to adjust that, only buy a refurb kit (over and over again...)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Brucey wrote:if it were my choice I would ask them to swap them for some 'proper' V8s which are fitted with 'proper' bearings, not these crummy bushings. The adjustment on the V2s is for axial play only. Once there is any radial play you won't be able to adjust that, only buy a refurb kit (over and over again...)

Well I thought for the sake of the 3 quid it cost to send them to them, I'd take the offer and get a good year or so use out of them before the bushes wear. The increased spinning friction of bushings didn't bother me, and in use they're the best pedals I've ever used. Just a shame about the internals. I certainly won't be spending £15 on a refurb kit when the bushings wear out, not when the properly bearinged and user friendly V8 originals are only around 5 quid more.
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Well, got my pedals back, with the 2016 V8 V2 internals fitted in my existing pedals (they simply replaced the internals rather than the whole pedal). Opened them up and put them back together in mins. Absolute doddle. NO locknuts or preload of any sort needed!

I can only conclude whoever redesigned them for 2017 and ADDED preload adjustment nuts (that clearly weren't originally needed) is a complete moron :roll:

Just a note for anyone finding this topic when searching - they fitted my V8 V2.1 (2017) pedals with the V8 V2 (2016) internals (Link). So anyone facing this issue, and desperately wanting to keep using these pedals, the pedal shell is apparently exactly the same and you can simply fit the 2016 V2 internals into it and avoid future adjustment issues.

They have also now fixed their formerly incomplete service guide for the 2016 V8 on their site (Link). Unsurprisingly there's still no official service guide for the godawful 2017 versions :lol:
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

The nut came loose on one of my my V8 2.1's. Bought the socket tool and replaced the smaller nut with a nylock one from a pack I bought at Lidl which is a much tighter fit on the threads. The pedals have a nice feel in use so felt they were worth fixing, though the old version with the greaseport was a great design.

These were the instructions for the tool:

The DMR V8 v2.1 Service tool is designed to adjust the 11mm base nut on the Dual Bushing bearing system found on the current V8 pedal with grey plastic end caps.

Use this thin wall Chrome-moly Steel socket with a 13mm spanner to back off the 11mm base nut against the 9mm lock nut on the end of the axle to adjust the pre-load on the bearings.

Tools required to service or adjust your V8 Dual Bushing pedal :

- 15mm spanner or 6mm allen wrench - to remove pedal from crank arm
- Pick - to pop off end cap
- 9mm Socket - to adjust lock nut
- 13mm spanner - to adjust V8 service tool
- DMR V8 Service tool - to adjust 11mm base nut on axle against lock nut
- Small flat blade screwdriver - to hold/jam 9mm lock nut when adjusting base nut
Attachments
DMR V8 v2 Dual Bushing MTB Pedal Service Socket Tool Cro-mo - 11mm.jpg
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Erudin wrote:These were the instructions for the tool:

The DMR V8 v2.1 Service tool is designed to adjust the 11mm base nut...

That tool didn't exist when I posted this thread, imagine trying to do it without :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Brucey wrote:all the V8 pedals I have looked inside had a tabbed washer. Are the very latest ones different then?

Any details/photos?

BTW to adjust pedals without a tab washer the usual arrangement is to have a thin-walled socket tool to hold the cone, and another to hold the locknut.

cheers

Afraid so. I was very disappointed when I found out, it was one of the min reasons I bought them.
I ended up jamming a screwdriver against the cone nut and then tightened the lock nut with a socket. Trial and error until I got it right.