How to Mount a Fly 6 CE Camera/Rear Light - any suggestions ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Farrina

How to Mount a Fly 6 CE Camera/Rear Light - any suggestions ?

Post by Farrina »

I have been pondering for some time the use of the cycling equivalent of a dash cam and the market has now matured enough for me to open my wallet.

The range offered by Cycliq seems to fit the bill and I have already ordered a Fly 12 CE 122 with a Duo Mount for the front of my bike

For the rear, the Fly 6 CD601 https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/ looks ideal however I have run into a problem as to how it might be mounted to my bike. The general assumption appears to be that everyone has an extra long seat pin and don't use saddlebags, whereas I don't have a long seat pin and what I have is occupied by my mini saddlebag!

I have uploaded some pictures of one of my bikes with my bag fitted https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmCgnPNMNA8OiQn2N3YRgdJz4LZE and without https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmCgnPNMNA8OiQqH3PBOvD28sako

As will be apparent I don't use a rear rack and I was wondering if any enterprising souls have already solved this conundrum or have any suggestions ?

Cheers
Bez

Re: How to Mount a Fly 6 CE Camera/Rear Light - any suggestions ?

Post by Bez »

I think the obvious option, though maybe not an initially appealing one, is to abandon the saddle bag for a bar bag, bottle cage tool holder, frame bag or jersey pockets.

An outside possibility is to mount the Fly6 on the seat tube so it sits as high as possible below the seatstays. Its view will be restricted by the stays, of course, but from that image it's hard to say how much (probably too much in reality, but you never know).

I forget exactly what attachment they use these days; I've had the Mk1 and Mk2 models but I know the newer ones are different. It may be possible to hack an extended bracket for it somehow.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have a Fly 6 and have a similar problem. I just about have enough room on the seat pin to mount it, but you can see the bag at the top of the video. Mine fits better on my winter bike, as it has a more sloping top tube and more exposed seat pin.

With your frame you would be able to mount it on the seat tube, so that it points backwards through the seat stays. I tried this on mine but again I can see the brake in the bottom of the picture. I think your frame is large enough so that it won't be a problem.

The attachment on mine (not the very latest version) is a long Velcro strap, designed to be able to fit around an aero seat post, so plenty long enough to fit around a seat tube.
Last edited by TrevA on 28 Sep 2018, 6:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Option 1) Top tube bag, but nothing too wide or you'll constantly brush it with your knees
Option 2) Can you flip the mount to alter the angle and use a seat stay? A wrap of handlebar tape to protect the paint and prevent slippage with cable ties should be secure enough. As you can see, my Aldi version just fits on the seat post, but the vibration increases recorded noise and so increases video file size massively (it doesn't touch the seat post collar)
My other one is quieter and has video files that are 50% size, so
Option 3) Maybe consider a bracket from between the seat lug ears?
Regards
tim-b
Attachments
seatpost.JPG
bracket.JPG
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Farrina

Re: How to Mount a Fly 6 CE Camera/Rear Light - Proposed solution

Post by Farrina »

Thanks for the various suggestions - I now have a plan .. not a cunning plan :-)

The Fly6 CE has the option of a rear rack mount bracket see here https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cycliq/Fly6-Rear-Pannier-Mount/J77X

Its a bit "Heath Robinson" like but I am considering a bracket in the following form (this is a rough and ready plan hopefully illustrating the same https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmCgnPNMNA8OiQuEx3fAKS98EAkc]

I will use solid neoprene rubber to protect the seat stays with just a single central bolt to secure the bracket.

A local firm have indicated they can supply either 0.9mm thickness stainless steel or a choice of 1.2 / 1.5mm aluminium.

The aluminium would certainly be lighter but I am concerned as to the potential for its corrosion. My other concern is that given the severity of the bend in the metal, whether this will generate a potential failure point. Should I seek a thicker specification of stainless steel ?

Whilst all views are most welcome, I would particularly appreciate the opinion of a certain Brucey of this Parish

Cheers
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Did you consider one of these https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cycliq ... aptor/J9TE fixed to a rubber-sleeved P-clip (or one of those left-over plastic light mounts you must already have in your bits box) high on the RH seat stay (well above the wheel but below the bag)?

I haven't tried it, and the review says they break easily, but the design might allow you to get the light / camera vertical and neatly mounted with one bolt / clip rather than needing to bend stainless steel to the exact angle.

Imagine the adapter above in place of the reflector below, and then look in your bits box for a clip like this.
Attachments
DSCN2739.JPG
DSCN2736.JPG
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

seatstay mountings (for lights etc) above the brake are OK, but below the brake the thing doesn't have a clear field of view and can easily get knocked so that it swings into the wheel and gets smashed to bits.

My suggestion is to buy/adapt/make a bracket that mounts to the brake centrebolt and to support the thing off that. Probably a front light bracket meant for the fork crown will be a good starting point, e.g.;
£2.49, stainless steel; what's not to like?

Won't work if you are in the habit of wearing a long coat or have little clearance below a saddlebag, obviously.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or mount it to the saddle bag...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
In the lower photo (up there ^^ ) I used a couple of head torch brackets like this one (link)
Similar effect to your metal bracket but adjustable, I'll post a photo if it'll help, please ask
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Farrina

Post by Farrina »

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to post potential suggestions to my conundrum.

I shall digest and consider all and let you know how I get along.

Cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re making an angle bracket to support a light or something; the choice between aluminium and stainless steel;

thicker stainless steel is a good idea; you can see the B&M bracket has folded edges; this is to stiffen/strengthen it. Even so this design (when made in thinner/cheaper steel especially) can fail through fatigue with a heavy light mounted on it.

In simple terms the strength and the stiffness of a simple bracket (in any given material) goes as the cube of the thickness. That means if you use material twice as thick it is eight times stiffer and stronger. Aluminium can work OK but it tends to fatigue more easily than stainless steel does.

Note that a short bracket at the base of a light can be built a lot lighter than a longer bracket, simply because it sees far less leverage. This is one reason why buying a ready-made bracket (like the B&M one) is a smart move; you only need to make something short and simple to mount your chosen gadget onto it

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~