Sidi shoe sizing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Michelin

Sidi shoe sizing

Post by Michelin »

I am currently using Shimano R107 shoes in size 42 and there is plenty of room in them. I am looking to purchase a pair of Sidi Wire Carbon Vernice as they are on offer but not sure what size to get as some sites say order a size bigger.Anyone got any experiences with them
tatanab

Re: Sidi shoe sizing

Post by tatanab »

Many years ago I had some Shimano shoes size 42 which fitted my size 8 feet. When I changed to Sidi I needed 43.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I have some Sidi Dominators that I have just retired after 10 years size 44.5 (their replacements are some Giro Republics, NOS for £50 in my LBS sale, also 44.5). My current Shimano winter shoes (insulated & waterproof) are 44, as were the previous pair. All of them fit me OK, there is even room for thick socks in the Shimanos

I have some very old (1980s) road Sidis in 44 that I have only used in the last couple of years for the odd bit of track riding & I have to wear very thin socks & no insole or they are too tight.

In general shoes I used to be a 9 but these days am a 9.5 (or 10 if half sizes aren't available). I reckon the inch of height I have lost has sunk into my feet! :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

I am size 44. I have 2 pairs of sidis size 44. They fit me perfectly.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I've been a Sidi shoe wearer for about 20 years. I take a size 46, the same as for other footwear.

Sidi make lovely, but expensive, shoes but you really should get the correct size. Sidi shoes come in standard (which some people find too narrow) and Mega for wider feet or those with high insteps. They also come in half sizes. They don't break in very much, like most synthetic cycling shoes, so they should fit perfectly out of the box after adjusting the straps and buckles. Your feet will swell during riding and it is best to test the fit of a shoe in the afternoon (as your feet swell during the day). Before spending 200 quid see if you can return them if they don't fit. Wiggle has a guide to fitting Sidi shoes. https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-cycling-shoes-fitting-guide
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

RickH wrote:In general shoes I used to be a 9 but these days am a 9.5 (or 10 if half sizes aren't available). I reckon the inch of height I have lost has sunk into my feet! :?

Same here. 20 years ago I was a size 45, now I am size 46. I've gone up at least two sizes since I was 20 years old!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Sidi tend to be a narrow.personally I wouldn’t buy shoes I couldn’t try on, regardless of how cheap they are. Shoes that don’t fit correctly are expensive mistake.
NUKe

Post by tatanab »

NUKe wrote:Sidi tend to be a narrow.personally I wouldn’t buy shoes I couldn’t try on, regardless of how cheap they are. Shoes that don’t fit correctly are expensive mistake.

Sidi do a wider fitting range as well. Mega is available in a couple of styles such as the Genius and Dominator which is what I used for many years. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-dominator- ... awide-fit/
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I have a pair of Sidi Ergo Carbons which are size 44 which is normally okay for me but these are pretty tight. They are not too small as such, but there is no room for manoeuvre so to speak. I'd probably go a half size bigger if I had the option.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Sidi do a wider fitting range as well. Mega is available in a couple of styles such as the Genius and Dominator which is what I used for many years. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-dominator- ... awide-fit/[/quote]
yes sorry I should have said the normal range comes up narrow
NUKe

Post by sukuinage »

I normally take a size 45 G fitting in shoes. I need 46.5 in Sidi Megas. Felt slightly big at first but very comfortable for a days cycling especially in the heat of summer
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is a while since I last bought Sidi shoes, but I'd say try before you buy. Buying online is a bit of a lottery. In a shop you can try one on, then another, then back to the first. Differences between one size and another can be small. Just because you fit into the ones you get though the post does not mean than is the best size for you. And if it means paying a little more, that is money well spent.
danielb

Post by danielb »

Does anyone know whether Sidi half-sizes (EU sizing) use the sole of the full size below (e.g. 39.5 uses a 39 Sole with a slightly larger upper) or the one above (e.g. 39.5 uses a 40 sole with a smaller upper) or uses a sole in between? There is conflicting info on threads on other forums. My local bike shops don’t stock the ones I am interested in to try.

Thanks
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I'm off the same opinion on sidi shoes, a bit hit and miss. Shimano on the other hand I've found very accurate in their sizing, and they also do different widths of shoe on their higher end offerings.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I should say that having tried Sidi, Shimano and Mavic shoes over the past few years, Shimano are my firm favourite for fit, comfort and durability. Sidi will mark quite badly at the first sign of abuse, and Mavic shoes, for me, are not up the standard yet.