Dawes Galaxy - current status? Still good option?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: Dawes Galaxy - current status? Still good option?

Post by horizon »

You can check out the frame geometry of bikes and there won't be much difference, if any. That's why they fit into the touring bike category. But there might be other things you will spot while reading up on the bikes that you won't find out during a quick visit to the shop. It's always been difficult to test out bikes - even if they have the bike they might not have your size in stock anyway. I would say do your homework - lots of it. And do try out bikes if you can but you might well end up buying a bike that you've haven't actually seen or sat on.

PS I live 350 miles from Spa but would still buy a bike from them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

horizon wrote:You can check out the frame geometry of bikes and there won't be much difference, if any. That's why they fit into the touring bike category. But there might be other things you will spot while reading up on the bikes that you won't find out during a quick visit to the shop. It's always been difficult to test out bikes - even if they have the bike they might not have your size in stock anyway. I would say do your homework - lots of it. And do try out bikes if you can but you might well end up buying a bike that you've haven't actually seen or sat on.

PS I live 350 miles from Spa but would still buy a bike from them.

I live a similar distance from Spa cycles, but to avoid the cost of journey/overnight stop I just bought the tourer frame (having very carefully checked the spec and asked some questions of others on this forum) on the basis that even if I didn't get on with is I could then resell it and I'd still be 'in pocket'.
It's a fine machine, and is everything I expected it to be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yostumpy wrote:or even the upper Ridgeback range, and the Trek 520 disc is a good option, also the Kona Sutra

Spot on,totally forgot about Ridgeback and the very capable Kona Sutra
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Spa cycles looks interesting.
One of the issues is, though "try before you buy" to see if the frame geometry suits.
If you don't live within striking distance of Harrogate then this might be a bit tricky.
In my case about 230 miles each way.
Much the same issue with buying from Wiggle.

It does look as though one off brands such as Spa and Edinburgh Cycles are fine if you've already seen and ridden one but very complicated if you just want to sit on one and see if it fits.

TBH I don't think you'll find a better sorted geometry than the Spa bikes.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Oct 2018, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I've bought two Spa frames without seeing them and both fit me fine. Spa publish complete geometry diagrams, so if you have a bike already that fits well, and have the geometry for it, it should be possible to decide which Spa frame will fit best. That's what I did. Same applies to any bike that's accompanied by geometry information of course.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

reohn2 wrote:……...

But only if you want a riding position thats close to the traditional position for recreational/touring cyclists, as here... http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike%20Set%20Up%202017a.pdf

If you want something very different from that, I can't help.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Is it not easier to refurbish your old Galaxy? I ride old and new bikes. I usually prefer the older 1980s ones. I note you are losing the will to fettle, but there won't be much of that to do once you are down to a single bike. Also I've never had a bike, new or old that I haven't had to "fettle" to suit.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I bought my Dawes Vantage largely based on Chris Juden's (of former CTC) review of it.
He later reviewed Spa's steel tourer and said it was one of the best (or the best) tourers you could have for under £1000.
With that and having looked up as many reviews as I could find, on May 19 my fiancee drove me up to Harrogate where I bought the 26" wheeled version of the frame, fork and a set of new wheels without taking a test ride. 5 days later having collected a few more bits and bobs I had it on the road.
I'd spent the previous 6 years on a 48cm 700c bike and so the 48cm 26" Spa felt a bit small for me. The whole bike sits lower to the ground and for a shorty like me, that's a good thing. A couple months later after faffing about getting a comfortable fit sorted out and I can honestly say it's the best bike I've owned in 35+ years. It's just so stable and soooooooo comfy.
The real test for me will be end of this month as I'm taking it fully loaded to a C&CC ALC meet at Delamere Forest some 40 miles away. It'll be my first (if all goes well) mini tour.
Best touring bike ever built? Probably.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Another spa fan here. I have a fantastic thorn rohloff bike which will always be my default tourer and commuter but lacks a bit of interest for day rides. My spa audax is fantastic for these and is 10% faster. The thorn is more comfortable and the rohloff is in a different league to changing gears on a derailleur. But it is so different in terms of saddle, tyres etc it is hard to compare.

I’ve had a good experience of dealing with both shops. Both have strong opinions but will look after you and will get what is right for your use. They are flexible in building according to your spec and budget. This is a difference to big manufacturers where you either buy a frame or more likely a complete package with limited choices.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Vantage wrote:Best touring bike ever built? Probably.

There's no such animal.

Quite apart from individual preferences, "best" for a B&B/Ho(s)tel tour in the UK or Europe is different to "best" for a full weight camping tour, is different to "best" for a rough stuff tour in Iceland or down the Continental Divide in the US, is different to "best" for a tour from the UK to Hong Kong
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

geocycle wrote:Another spa fan here. I have a fantastic thorn rohloff bike
I’ve had a good experience of dealing with both shops. Both have strong opinions but will look after you and will get what is right for your use.

That's great and I agree fully (Spa tourer owner). Some people don't like other people or shops to have an opinion! ....... but isn't that a far better situation than having a shop where they just agree and nod that any bike you like or sit on is 'perfect for you sir'
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

geocycle wrote:Another spa fan here. I have a fantastic thorn rohloff bike which will always be my default tourer and commuter but lacks a bit of interest for day rides. My spa audax is fantastic for these and is 10% faster. The thorn is more comfortable and the rohloff is in a different league to changing gears on a derailleur. But it is so different in terms of saddle, tyres etc it is hard to compare.

I’ve had a good experience of dealing with both shops. Both have strong opinions but will look after you and will get what is right for your use. They are flexible in building according to your spec and budget. This is a difference to big manufacturers where you either buy a frame or more likely a complete package with limited choices.

I think Thorn have lost their way recently. You can no longer take a test ride on the non-Rohloff bikes. You used to get a 100 days return-if-not-delighted guarantee on a frame but no longer. The return-if-not-delighted guarantee on the non-Rohloff bikes is now only 14 days. The prices seem so high now; £1528 for the 725 framed tourer with bar-end shifters, v-brakes and no carrier. £985 for the Spa with STI and a Tubus carrier. The Thorn is 10 speed but so what.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NetworkMan wrote:
geocycle wrote:Another spa fan here. I have a fantastic thorn rohloff bike which will always be my default tourer and commuter but lacks a bit of interest for day rides. My spa audax is fantastic for these and is 10% faster. The thorn is more comfortable and the rohloff is in a different league to changing gears on a derailleur. But it is so different in terms of saddle, tyres etc it is hard to compare.

I think Thorn have lost their way recently. You can no longer take a test ride on the non-Rohloff bikes. You used to get a 100 days return-if-not-delighted guarantee on a frame but no longer. The return-if-not-delighted guarantee on the non-Rohloff bikes is now only 14 days. The prices seem so high now; £1528 for the 725 framed tourer with bar-end shifters, v-brakes and no carrier. £985 for the Spa with STI and a Tubus carrier. The Thorn is 10 speed but so what.

I agree Thorn are pricing themselves out of the market. I got the 725 tourer when it was about £700 and it seemed a good buy then. 2001 or thereabouts. Okay, inflation and all that, but they are just so much dearer than the competition.

I prefer bar ends to STI, especially on a tourer, so if I ordered from Spa that is what I would spec. I've just bought yet another STI lever to replace a broken one on my daughter's bike (Claris, the lever not my daughter) and STI levers account for the majority of the money wasted on our bikes in recent years. They cost so much and are so prone to failure. She will be using bar ends if she breaks this one!

Rohloff is so dull to use. I've got a rarely used tandem gathering dust in the garage and that has Rohloff. I'm sure it deadens the ride, robbing you of a bit of zip. I'd not pay for it again.
horizon

Post by horizon »

531colin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:……...

But only if you want a riding position thats close to the traditional position for recreational/touring cyclists, as here... http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike%20Set%20Up%202017a.pdf

If you want something very different from that, I can't help.

My impression is that as a replacement for a highly-valued older Dawes Galaxy, it's a no-brainer. Just a case of choosing the colour.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jeatsy

Post by jeatsy »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Thanks - Super Galaxy seems more my style with 3 * 9 gears (which I assume has some serious granny in there).

Just an extra £300. :(

The current Super Galaxy has an almost identical spec to the 2013 Galaxy Plus, which I've owned from new. (And also the 2014 Plus, which I kept an eye on at the time to be sure it wasn't too different.) Only the bottom bracket is different, as far as I can see.

So perhaps you could scour eBay for one of those. I can't see any right now, but this was sold a few weeks ago: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Galaxy ... 663.l10137

LittleGreyCat wrote:settling on a single general purpose touring bike

That's what I did, and 10k+ miles later (commuting + touring) I'm still happy with the decision. The only big change I've made was to downsize the wheels to 650B so I could use fatter tyres for bumpy bridleways. A couple of years later and it turns out that's the in thing to do ("bikepacking") 8)

The thing I've been most impressed with is the longevity of the components. My previous bike, a Raleigh "sports tourer", needed all kinds of components replaced over the years. So far the Galaxy's just needed new chains and cassettes.

Of course, I'm sure Spa, Thorn, Surly et al would all have the same advantages ... just giving you the perspective of a happy owner 5 years on.