Continental brakes - Wrong way round

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
levarg

Continental brakes - Wrong way round

Postby levarg » 2 Oct 2018, 1:53pm

I'm based in the Czech Republic and the brakes on bikes here are the wrong way round. i.e. right lever is rear brake, and left is front. Took a little bit of getting used to at first.
Anybody know why they are like this?

iandusud

Re: Continental brakes - Wrong way round

Postby iandusud » 2 Oct 2018, 2:15pm

To answer your question I have no idea. However I swapped by brakes around nearly 40 years ago because I used to find on my daily commute that I had a right turn on a fairly steep downhill section where I would easily lock up the rear wheel, particularly in the wet, braking with my left hand and signalling with my right hand. I've run my brakes that way ever since.

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 2 Oct 2018, 2:27pm

Brexit.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 2 Oct 2018, 2:27pm

levarg wrote:I'm based in the Czech Republic and the brakes on bikes here are the wrong way round. i.e. right lever is rear brake, and left is front. Took a little bit of getting used to at first.
Anybody know why they are like this?

They ride on the wrong side of the road! :mrgreen:

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 2 Oct 2018, 4:01pm

I've always had left hand front brake as the front brake is better when turning across traffic. UK bikes are the other (wrong) way round

pwa

Postby pwa » 2 Oct 2018, 4:04pm

iandusud wrote:To answer your question I have no idea. However I swapped by brakes around nearly 40 years ago because I used to find on my daily commute that I had a right turn on a fairly steep downhill section where I would easily lock up the rear wheel, particularly in the wet, braking with my left hand and signalling with my right hand. I've run my brakes that way ever since.

Similar story for me. Always put the front on the left.

meic

Postby meic » 2 Oct 2018, 4:12pm

This would, if accepted, demonstrate that all the foreigners* are wrong. :lol:
As they ride on the other side of the road.

*excepting Indians, Nepalese, Australians, Pakistanis, Irish, Kiwis, Indonesians, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Kenyans, Ugandans, Tanzanians, South Africans and many others that I forget.
Yma o Hyd

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 2 Oct 2018, 4:20pm

Japanese too
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mjr

Postby mjr » 2 Oct 2018, 4:58pm

levarg wrote:Anybody know why they are like this?

It's so you use the back brake while signalling a turn across the road because having one arm off reduces your ability to brace yourself against the bars and thereby increases the risk of sliding forwards if you use the front brake. When turning nearsidewards, it's usually less of a problem if you can't signal because you're braking, plus in theory, that's the turn you're more likely to need to brake harder for.

Of course, lots of continental bikes only have one brake lever, with the back being a footbrake/coaster-brake.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 2 Oct 2018, 5:04pm

We had a deployment in 1988 called Outback 88, a six months deployment. I was in HMS Sirius. We called at Gib, Columbo Sri Lanka, Lumut Malaysia, Pattaya Thailand, Singapore, Port Moresby Papua New Guinea, Sidney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Bunbury (near Perth), Bahrain, and Gib again.

All drove on the left side of the road except Gibraltar ............... which was odd because it's British.

Took my bike with me, and cycled in all those places.
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75

Postby pete75 » 2 Oct 2018, 5:24pm

It's not just bikes.Their cars have the steering wheel on the wrong side too. :shock:

Ugly

Postby Ugly » 2 Oct 2018, 5:32pm

Anybody know when it became standard British practice to have front brake on the right? My 1918 Royal Enfield has a left hand front right habd left. My 1924 Sunbeam front brake right back brake back pedal NOT a coaster hub but linkage from the bottom bracket. However a 1932 Golden Sunbeam I had had LH front RH rear brakes very confusing. These are all rod braked bicycles and are in there original configuration.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Oct 2018, 7:30pm

mjr wrote:
levarg wrote:Anybody know why they are like this?

It's so you use the back brake while signalling a turn across the road because having one arm off reduces your ability to brace yourself against the bars and thereby increases the risk of sliding forwards if you use the front brake. When turning nearsidewards, it's usually less of a problem if you can't signal because you're braking, plus in theory, that's the turn you're more likely to need to brake harder for.

Of course, lots of continental bikes only have one brake lever, with the back being a footbrake/coaster-brake.

.. and the single hand brake lever is generally on the right (front brake), but it is rarely used, the back-pedal brake is used mostly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

levarg

Postby levarg » 2 Oct 2018, 7:38pm

So the most sensible explanation is because of hand signals.

Personally I think it makes more sense for right-handed riders to use the right hand for the front brake. The dominant hand provides more control for the dominant brake. How often do people use hand signals compared to using the brake anyway?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 2 Oct 2018, 7:52pm

Spinners wrote:Brexit.

Brakesit?