is it the end of 23mm tyres???

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
multitool

Re: is it the end of 23mm tyres???

Post by multitool »

Let's stick to the topic in hand shall we
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

Of the two bikes I ride regularly, one has a curved carbon fork and feels absolutely fine with a 22mm tyre on the front, the other has a straight carbon fork, and feels unpleasant with anything less than a 25mm tyre on the front.

Worth noting also that many of the deep section rims are designed to be used with 23mm tyres, for optimum aerodynamics.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

meic wrote:
One of our CC members rides around 12,000miles a year and is 40.Would you consider him to be less experienced than someone who is 60 who rides 5000 miles per year?

That depends on whether one of them had only ever ridden on one size of tyre and the other had tried them all on a regular basis.
Out of my 70,000 miles of riding, less than 70 have been with one emergency 23mm tyre on the rear, so I am not much experienced with them.

As he raced(to a very high standard) in the 90s and has been riding all his life I'd assume he's seen most of the fads.(from riding with him I know he has and incidently he rides on 25mm tyres...really quickly).
That wasn't my point.My point is there are people who seem to think their "experience" counts and the "experience" of others does not.Just because someone has 3000 posts it does not mean they are more experienced than someone with 300..or 30...or3!Likewise age.
What suits one will not suit another.So if someone doesn't like 23mm tyres or 32mm tyres they're not wrong and the person who does is not right.
Comments like "Those of us with more experience" come across as a bit condescending.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have three road bikes with 23mm tyres all using different steel forks and they exhibit different road feedback through the forks. None of them could be described as harsh. On the other hand my 'cross frame made from Reynolds 708 is noticeably less comfy unladen on 25c.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

multitool wrote:Was with you until you got to the bit about comfort...which is not quite so tangible...but seems to be a factor of tyre pressure, width, and tyre construction.

In fact, it's really the advent of tubeless and the ability to run lower pressure without grounding the rim and snakebiting that has improved comfort.

Like many before me, i've toured on 23s, will I tour again on 23s, doubtful because in older age you compromise speed over other aspects as I mentiioned in my previous post, however comfort has not changed one iota despite going for wider tyres. Yours and others opinion varies, again though, define the difference, what has it gained you aside from a 'feeling'? For me I don't feel more refreshed or able to go any faster or further on wider tyres.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:I have three road bikes with 23mm tyres all using different steel forks and they exhibit different road feedback through the forks. None of them could be described as harsh. On the other hand my 'cross frame made from Reynolds 708 is noticeably less comfy unladen on 25c.

That's a good point as the comfort of a bike is down to elements of the whole bike, including tyres, wheel build, frame, contact points et al. But, if you swap out just one element for another - especially if it's the same apart from one parameter - you can then test for any difference.

I initially rode 23mm Schwalbe Ultremos as they cam with the bike. I swapped to 28mm Ultremos when the back tyre wore, swapping out the front to 28mm also, just to keep both wheels on the same tyre width. The difference was very noticeable. I assume the difference is due to the lesser pressure and bigger/wider contact patch that results, as this is all that changed.

The differences were in comfort (less bounce and jarring of the body on rough roads) and in stickability to the road, especially down fast descents with tightish corners and rough roads.

But there's no doubt that the Trek Domane frame makes it's contribution too, to comfort and stickability.

CUgel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Hello Utility Cyclist

Do you prefer a slow or a fast cadence?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

StephenW wrote:Hello Utility Cyclist

Do you prefer a slow or a fast cadence?

I think he’s a plodder...sorry “Tourer”.