Gear issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
althebike

Re: Gear issues

Postby althebike » 5 Jan 2019, 12:43pm

I have the ultegra di2 also, I have it on standard shift so it will not syncronise the front shifting. Using mechinical gears,my bike broke while riding over dartmoor last year , the gear shifting was all over the place and so I took it into a repair shop . The first thing they checked was cables, I had new inners but old outer casing , it was decided the cables were not running freely and so the shop gave me a new complete cable set. The next check was the hanger, which was straight.The various adjustment screws were fiddled with. The eventual fix was worn shifters.

robert17

Postby robert17 » 5 Jan 2019, 1:01pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:
robert17 wrote:Thanks, yes pretty sure they are okay. Seems that I get it working okay and then over what can be just ten or twenty miles it goes off again, like something is slipping out of sync.

Once it goes off, does it stay that way for the start of the next ride, or does each ride start out OK but then go off after 10 miles or so?

Thanks, no I have to get it back on the stand and adjust with the barrel adjuster. Not a huge task but getting really annoying now.

Also, the cables do take some tight turns under the tape, however if this was the problem then surely it would be an issue from the start.

Di2 or whatever. Hmm I'm a little light on cash. Nice mind.

Thank you all.

peetee

Postby peetee » 5 Jan 2019, 2:04pm

robert17 wrote:
Also, the cables do take some tight turns under the tape, however if this was the problem then surely it would be an issue from the start.

Not necessarily. If they are held in place with insulation tape this can hold for a while then the action of you grabbing the bars can create a bit of give - especially if the bars don't have a cable groove as the cable can be dragged round the bar. In fact that rotational movement itself can give the symptoms you describe as the (previously correctly located) outer is pulled away from the shifter.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.