Rehook

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Rehook

Post by 531colin »

You don't need to touch the chain. Lift the back wheel, turn the pedals, operate the front mech. thoughtfully provided for just this eventuality.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

531colin wrote:You don't need to touch the chain. Lift the back wheel, turn the pedals, operate the front mech. thoughtfully provided for just this eventuality.

No front mech on any of my bikes .... :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
531colin wrote:You don't need to touch the chain. Lift the back wheel, turn the pedals, operate the front mech. thoughtfully provided for just this eventuality.

No front mech on any of my bikes .... :(

Something which I've puzzled over when you've asked about a 26t ring for more hillier rides whilst riding a 36t(?) for everything else,when you could have both with a front mech and a simple ,D/T friction lever(genuine question).
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I saw this at the Cycle Show in 2017 where the inventor had a small stand and was trying to get some traction for it. He claimed it was useful for people who chains were constantly coming off, and when I suggested that people with such a problem would be better to spend the money on getting a new chain he became very defensive and muttered something alont the lines of "we're not all mechanical experts'

As previous people have said, a solution looking for a problem - I use either a glove or the hook end off a tyre lever, works just as well.

Neil
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:No front mech on any of my bikes .... :(

Something which I've puzzled over when you've asked about a 26t ring for more hillier rides whilst riding a 36t(?) for everything else,when you could have both with a front mech and a simple ,D/T friction lever(genuine question).[/quote]

It's the Luddite in me i'm afraid ... Our Ned wouldn't have had one i'm sure..
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:No front mech on any of my bikes ....

Something which I've puzzled over when you've asked about a 26t ring for more hillier rides whilst riding a 36t(?) for everything else,when you could have both with a front mech and a simple ,D/T friction lever(genuine question).

Be more Mike.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if you have a manky, unshipped chain, a twig can usually be used to lift/prod it back where it should be (as Mick says on the bottom of the chainring usually).

Or a snack bar wrapper (it is always time for a snack when a chain unships, isn't it...?... :wink: ) allows you to handle the chain without getting your hands dirty. If the wrapper is folded inside out before being used this way, it can be refolded so the clean side is outermost, and can go back in a pocket or bag without dirtying it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

And often you can do a variant of this while the bicycle is still rolling and you’re still on it. Just maintain gentle upshift pressure on the gear lever while turning the pedals slowly and lightly until a tooth hooks the chain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:No front mech on any of my bikes ....

Who's Ned?
FWIW,I like a triple up front for range but built up my latest bike with a 24/39 double Stronglight Impact c/set using the middle and inner ring positions(could easily be a 26/36 ) with a 14-34 custom 9sp cassette(could easily be an 11-34,11/32 or even an 11-28 out of the box),to cover all eventualities.
I really like to be in a position where I have the ratios on board so I can follow that steep track or unknown road and hate being limited by a lack of range in gearing.
You may have a different outlook,I was just curious as to your single ring set up.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Who's Ned?

Ned Ludd .... fantasy leader of the Luddites. Opposers of progress and automation in the weaving industry. .... First member of Momentum ?... :lol:
Be more Mike.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Samuel D wrote:

And often you can do a variant of this while the bicycle is still rolling and you’re still on it. Just maintain gentle upshift pressure on the gear lever while turning the pedals slowly and lightly until a tooth hooks the chain.

Yes, that too!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Who's Ned?

Ned Ludd .... fantasy leader of the Luddites. Opposers of progress and automation in the weaving industry. .... First member of Momentum ?... :lol:

Ah yes,sorry didn't connect.
Protect the double and triple chainring's rights I say,or before you know where we are there'll be zero chainrings and no momentum....... :?
W H Auden
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Brucey wrote:FWIW if you have a manky, unshipped chain, a twig can usually be used to lift/prod it back where it should be

That's my normal technique.
Whilst I don't doubt that the Rehook would do it better (the chain won't fall off the end of the twig, for a start)...
a) the chances of the Rehook having made it into the correct saddlebag at the required time is fairly low, and...
b) It's £13, rather than free
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrew_s wrote:..... It's £13, rather than free

I never got as far as what they were charging for one,all I can say is :shock: :shock: :shock: someone's going to have a lot of recycled plastic on their hands
W H Auden
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I bought one of these for my wife for the odd occasion the chain unships and she has been glad of it. Saves looking for a stick in the verge. It saves oily hands ,the need to carry gloves or a clear understanding of the operation of a front mech. since getting it I have made something similar from a piece of dowl with a bit of bent wire glued in the end and have used it more than once.