Rehook

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jamesh

Re: Rehook

Postby Jamesh » 1 Sep 2019, 10:28pm

Twig or old fashioned key for me!!

Cheers James

Chris Ince

Postby Chris Ince » 1 Sep 2019, 10:48pm

Ok I’m going on Dragons Den with a brilliant idea, it’s called ‘Knowing how to adjust your FD so your chain does come off. I reckon I could make trillions at lunch time down in Canary Wharf where there are plenty of those with all the gear and no idea.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 2 Sep 2019, 9:04am

Over the years I've used: Twigs, a screwdiver, a piece of parcel strapping, slithers of wood. In fact the first thing I do is look around at the side of the road and see if anything could be utilised,
Another unnecessary piece of tat to carry around.
I think with the huge uptake in cycling it a lucrative market, I'm faintly amazed at the cost of 'top end' bikes. Perhaps the more you spend the more enjoyable your cycling. :evil:

Chris Ince

Postby Chris Ince » 2 Sep 2019, 10:08am

So much gumph with cycling these days. In spite of owning many bikes, those made for me by the likes of Major Nichols, Mercian and Bob Jackson ( not to mention one or two titanium road bikes) my greatest pleasure was a £2.50 Dawes five speed win Campag Gran Sport, Weinmann 999 brakes etc renovated as a fifteen year old back in 1972. It was my pride and joy and rode it everywhere. Its finest hour was in fact three hours fifteen minutes same year from Watford to Winchester, 73 miles and via the Hampshire Downs. Couldn’t be done any faster on a £10,000 Cervelo today. Graham Obree has a lot to say about present day obsessions with the latest gimmicky bikes.

scottg

Postby scottg » 2 Sep 2019, 3:05pm

I carry a 3 pack of chain hooks. :)

ksstl1-1.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 2 Sep 2019, 3:23pm

Him and his missus are having a go at making a bit of money ,,, good for them .... respect ....
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

CyclingGuy

Postby CyclingGuy » 2 Sep 2019, 7:35pm

Having also seen it on 'The Den' last night I have spent all day working on a new plastic device that allows the user to easily remove and replace the dust cap on inner tubes. My prototype currently looks a little like a finger and thumb dipped in wax, but it's getting there!
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk

Lookrider

Postby Lookrider » 4 Sep 2019, 9:49am

I think the best thing about this re hook is the amount of much simpler advice I have read as an alternative

Re set on bottom .......
Re set on top using shifters .......
Improvising a tyre lever as a hook .....
A chain that's always falling off ??
The root issue will be the chain itself

All obvious things when pointed out
And show having MORE tool in the bag and less money is not always necessary
I have surgical gloves in case a tyre has dog or cattle waste on it during repair of puncture
I have used the diesel pump glove trick and had me group of mates help themselves to them in a down pour
I have in bag a 10 inch or so lenght
Of copper cable ...comes in handy as a twister to get tight hold of temporary repairs instead of a tie wrap that you cannot get off ...it's also handy to pull in a chain to do a link ...or use as a makeshift hook to lift a chain on
Last edited by Graham on 4 Sep 2019, 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken quotation removed : not needed anyway

drossall

Postby drossall » 4 Sep 2019, 10:08am

steady eddy wrote:I bought one of these for my wife for the odd occasion the chain unships and she has been glad of it. Saves looking for a stick in the verge. It saves oily hands ,the need to carry gloves or a clear understanding of the operation of a front mech. since getting it I have made something similar from a piece of dowl with a bit of bent wire glued in the end and have used it more than once.

I bought one with the same thinking, but for myself. Not the front mech bit: I agree that the first thing I'd do is to try to change the chain back on again. However, my Brompton has no front mech, and I'm usually on the way somewhere, and there isn't always a handy twig, piece of rubbish, or whatever. It didn't cost too much, so I thought I'd give it a go and see if I used it.

Fair point about gloves being more widely useful, but this could be wiped down quickly on some grass. I may of course find that it's yet one more thing to carry, and I don't in practice!

mig

Postby mig » 4 Sep 2019, 10:36am

ah...twig...yeah. but you need a 9 speed twig if your bike is thusly equipped and so forth. ain't so many 12 speed trees around these days. global warming etc

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Sep 2019, 12:25pm

if there are no twigs handy then a broad-leafed plant may supply a leaf that is suitable for handling the chain with. Of course an allen key on a multitool allows you to handle the chain too, but it will need wiping down afterwards, (as would a rehook tool, presumably)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 4 Sep 2019, 1:00pm

Possibly an opportunity there: a tool to wipe the retook tool with after use.

drossall

Postby drossall » 4 Sep 2019, 1:01pm

Brucey wrote:if there are no twigs handy then a broad-leafed plant may supply a leaf that is suitable for handling the chain with. Of course an allen key on a multitool allows you to handle the chain too, but it will need wiping down afterwards, (as would a rehook tool, presumably)

Been there, done that. I just thought I'd give it a go :D

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 4 Sep 2019, 1:21pm

Samuel D wrote:Possibly an opportunity there: a tool to wipe the retook tool with after use.

It's called a "team car". :D

robgul

Postby robgul » 4 Sep 2019, 3:40pm

Old spokes bent into hooks have a few uses :

- a DIY chain replacing hook is simple to make
- a double ended hook to hold together the two ends of a chain when inserting a magic link (there is a tool on the market - sold by Wiggle/CR https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-t ... -prod10221

Rob