Changing mountain bike tyres for road tyres.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Doug.

Changing mountain bike tyres for road tyres.

Post by Doug. »

Hello.

Re. the above, will I notice the riding difference doing the swap.
The wheels are 27.5 and 1.9 wide, with an off road tread.
The road tyres I am considering replacing with are the same width but have a smooth tread, I am using the cycle on the road and wish for superior performance.
I also own road bikes but wish to use the M.T.B. for town use.

Thank you.

Doug.
Vorpal

Re: Changing mountain bike tyres for road tyres.

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Tyres certainly make a difference. When I bought a new touring bike I noticed that it rolled more easily than the old one. At first I put it down to the old bike's transmission, which needed fettling. But it turned out to be the tyres. The new bike had Continental Gatorskins while the old one had Schwalbe Marathon Kevlars (all 622-28). When I put Gatorskins on the old bike the difference vanished.

Vorpal wrote:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-touring-mtb-tyre/rp-prod143816

You can find more information than CRC give on the Schwalbe website, where you can compare their tyres using their 'blobs out of six' ratings for Rolling, Road Grip, Off-Road Grip, Protection and Service life, weights, and EPI, ends per inch, which some other manufacturers call threads per inch (TPI). Note that Continental quote "Ply/TPI", e.g. 3/180, which means 60 TPI per ply, much the same as the Schwalbe's 67 EPI. More TPI mean lower rolling resistance but lower resistance to damage, but you also need to consider what protection layers are under the tread and in the sidewalls.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are still limited non-tread tyres available in 27.5". I use City Jets on my MTB when I want road tyres, but they don't come in the OP's size.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Doug.

Post by Doug. »

Hello.

Thank you for the replies, I shall proceed and fit road tyres.

Yours

Doug.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If you get some with a good supple sidewall, high tpi, you can have them reasonably hard 95psi and they still deform well over bumps.
Durgemeister

Post by Durgemeister »

Similar question - I have just a cheapo MTB, but I do just road/path, with the occasional bit of loose stuff along the way, so I want to get something more suitable. I'm going for cheap and cheerful , around £20 for a pair. As I had a Marathon on my old bike (A cheapo folder), I have been looking at Schwalbe Land Cruiser, which seems to be well recommended, does anybody have any other suggestions ?