Garmin Edge Updates

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclemad

Garmin Edge Updates

Post by cyclemad »

Just gone through the update process for my Edge 1000.....The current update required me to install a micro sd card as the new map ( Europe cycle ) takes up more space than is available internally.......The only issue part from having to purchase another sd card is that the device will not operate correctly ( message on update screen ) if the card is removed...

So whats the difference between the current map and the previous that takes up so much data space ?
robgul

Re: Garmin Edge Updates

Post by robgul »

A LOT more detail.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I’ve not been able to update my edge touring for a few months as it is requesting a bigger SD card. However, I’m not convinced this isn’t a bug. It might be worth checking the Garmin forum for advice. Posts there suggest it is an issue with Garmin express which has to be reinstalled.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Whether they need to be do large is a different debate, but the map files are definitely bigger than the internal memory of the Edge 1000. I'll hook mine up to the computer & give you a breakdown of map files (there are several), sizes & where the update has put them if you want.

If it doesn't work if you remove the sd card the trick is to not remove the sd card :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

£7.99 for a 32 gb sd card.....I have noticed that the start up is quicker and it saves routes quicker too...
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I had a similar update for my Edge Touring. I replaced the card with a higher capacity one and all is well.
misterblue

Post by misterblue »

Hi,

I have just updated my Edge 1000 with the SD card to allow for the large map update.
The update was apparently successful, but now the map display is pretty much useless. It shows the selected course, segments, road names and that's it. No roads, other navigational features that used to be there, nothing.

It produces a fault message when trying to follow a course. It is now pretty much an extremely large and expensive speedometer.

Anyone got any answers to this one? Latest firmware (15.2) and maps from Garmin Express today.

Thanks,

MB
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F will know what to do.
RickH

Post by RickH »

misterblue wrote:Hi,

I have just updated my Edge 1000 with the SD card to allow for the large map update.
The update was apparently successful, but now the map display is pretty much useless. It shows the selected course, segments, road names and that's it. No roads, other navigational features that used to be there, nothing.

It produces a fault message when trying to follow a course. It is now pretty much an extremely large and expensive speedometer.

Anyone got any answers to this one? Latest firmware (15.2) and maps from Garmin Express today.

Thanks,

MB

Firstly is the SD card large enough & is there enough free space, by the look of it I've got 5.6GB of mapping data on the SD card of my 1000, plus another ~5.7GB in the internal storage. (& I don't know if the update needs any extra space during installation to unpack compressed data).

Try doing the map update again. If that doesn't work - save anything you want to keep (courses, history, etc.), try reformatting the card & running the update. Still not working, try a device reset & then do the updates. One of those ought to work.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
That sounds a good bit of advice.

If it still doesn't work, don't hesitate to phone GarminUK. Very helpful indeed over the phone.
When you ring, there's a menu choice for different departments.

They were brilliant when I had Montana issues. Great advice and very obliging.
Mick F. Cornwall
misterblue

Post by misterblue »

Thanks very much for the quick replies.
That’s my homework sorted for the next day or so.
Cheers,

MB
misterblue

Post by misterblue »

Working again now. Reinstalling the maps did the trick.
Really appreciate the help.
MB