Replacement Fork for Genesis Day One

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ElCani

Replacement Fork for Genesis Day One

Post by ElCani »

I'm considering replacing the fork on my Genesis Day One Alfine Di2 (2014). I'm currently running 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers and the mudguard (SKS Longboard) clearance under the fork crown is extremely tight. Stuff gets between 'guard and tyre and it's probably a marginally unsafe set-up. I also consider the (steel, straight bladed) fork to be overly stiff, but this is a secondary concern to the clearance issue.

So... I'm wondering what options exist for a replacement. Requirements are:

Large amounts of tyre/mudguard clearance
Post mount disc caliper mount
Mudguard eyelets and drilled fork crown
Steel, carbon, or carbon with aluminium steerer
9mm QR dropouts

One obvious contender seems to be a Surly Disc Trucker fork, which I'm hoping would be a bit more comfortable as it has curved blades.

I'd be grateful to hear of any other alternatives that are out there.

Thanks.
Brucey

Re: Replacement Fork for Genesis Day One

Post by Brucey »

easy solution; run a 32mm tyre at the front. Maybe a lower tyre pressure and/or revised handlebars/position would solve the comfort issue?

FWIW I have a set of CrMo forks (originally destined for a dawes galaxy) which will probably do the job apart from that they have an ISO disc mount (which can easily be adapted to post-mount) and also have canti bosses fitted. Probably they are slightly longer than the original forks, but if you are to get more clearance this is almost inevitable. Other features include separate tapped bosses at the front and rear of the fork crown (so mudguards and light can be easily attached), through-blade low rider bosses, double eyelets in the dropouts. Nice curve to the blades, plenty of rake. New, unused, uncut threadless 1-1/8" steerer, £40 plus postage. Colour is green. PM me if interested.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Many thanks for the offer Brucey, but vanity prevents me from fitting forks (on this bike) that are green or have canti bosses.

Your suggestion of using a narrower tyre is logical, but I do like the chubby Hypers and have winter tyres (I live in Sweden) which are also a tight fit...

There are carbon gravel bike forks that look like they’d fit the bill, if they didn’t all have tapered steerers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you would probably have to paint the forks anyway then; the chances of finding a fork that is the right type and the right colour are pretty slim tbh. BTW the canti bosses make a good place to mount a small front rack, so they need not be an eyesore per se.

The other way you could perhaps make the extant forks work for you is to change to a 584mm (650B) or 590mm (650A) size front rim. This will lower the front of the bike by ~19mm (or 16mm) if you keep the same width tyre or less than this if you go up a size in the front tyre. The mudguard clearance will also change in a similar way.

You could change both rims and this would lower the BB by a similar amount. This might be OK, depending on how much pedal clearance you like.

cheers
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Bike is black, so there’s a decent chance with the colour. I’ve got a Klik Fix handlebar bag and a rear rack, so a front rack isn’t really needed.

Going with 27.5 wheels is another good suggestion, but pricey/time consuming as there’s a hub gear at the back and a dynamo at the front. Perhaps I’ll leave it over the winter and rebuild the wheels with new rims in the spring...
PH

Post by PH »

Downsizing the front tyre seems an easy and cheap experiment, I run this anyway even with the clearance. 32/35 on a tourer and 28/32 on an Audax bike. Because of the weight distribution, I run them at the same pressure, works for me!
Then it's also worth checking the mudguard clearance is maximised, the standard brackets rarely provide this and even if they do the choice of guard profile can also make a few mm difference.
I'm doubtful that putting a bend in a steel fork built strong enough to withstand the brake forces is going to make it significantly more comfortable. That opinion comes from having two sets of Tange Infinity forks (Canti) with close dimensions and a similar weight, one curved one straight, I can't feel the difference when used on the same bike. I haven't seen any tests, I did read one between very traditional bend and the modern "banana" style, the conclusion was - there was a difference but not by much. Framebuilders have different opinions, so it's certainly not clear cut.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have been asked if the forks I have will accommodate a 38mm(40mm) Vittoria Hyper.

bags of room!
bags of room!

I reckon....

cheers

Brucey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A Surly Disc Trucker fork definitely has enough clearance for 40mm(37mm actual size) come in 'Blacktacular' but have ISO mount,which isn't a problem with an adapter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Thinking about this further, the first thing I should try is modifying the bottom of the steerer. The fork is of the same design as Brucey’s, but unlike his it has not been shaped to match the cross-sectional curve of a mudguard. Or at least I don’t think it has (I’m away right now, so can’t check). A few minutes work with a file might be all that’s needed...