Ease of cleaning.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Ease of cleaning.

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Is this the stuff they describe as "engine devreaser?"

In truth I sort of have the impression that for bike purposes most degreasers are much of a muchness, so just get the cheapest, near cheapest. A fair impression folks?

Yes it is sold as engine degreaser and is quite strong stuff too.
Like everything else in life the price has gone up but still not a bad price:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Astonish ... SwU1NaxnvI

Thanks reohn.

Re its strength, do you take any special precautions for you or the bike?

I gather the likes of toolstation and screwfix are also a good source of degreaser.

I always wear a pair of heavy duty nitril gloves(similar to marigolds)when using degreasers,I've used gunk and Jizer in the past but was recommended Astonish by Vantage of this parish so thanks to Bill :)
PS,I always use WS for cleaning chain by the shake in a jar or Tropicana bottle :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

How do these degreasers perform compared to white spirit? What is the advantage?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:How do these degreasers perform compared to white spirit? What is the advantage?

They're a bit stronger and need to be washed off with water,whereas WS need only be wiped off the chain and left to evaporate then a chain can be lubed.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................ and white spirit is dirt cheap too. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hot pressure wash shifts all, but this won't suit everyone/every bike; you need to be careful where you point it, and that your bearings are packed with super quality grease, and that your seals are in first class condition. Spray vulnerable areas with water-displacer immediately after cleaning (i.e. whilst they are still hot) this way sealed parts won't suck water into them as they cool down.

Putting a manky cassette into the dishwasher works too. [May also stimulate divorce proceedings of course.... :roll: ]

Solvent degrease of parts off the bike is a pretty safe bet. WS/paraffin is OK and relatively safe.

The speed at which grease and dirt are removed can vary hugely with the solvent and the method though. I recently did something I don't normally do (and in fact I did it outside because I thought it such a bad idea, and I certainly don't recommend that anyone else follows suit); I used half a cup of petrol in an ultrasonic bath. This worked double-quick to strip grease out of chains.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brucey wrote:Solvent degrease of parts off the bike is a pretty safe bet. WS/paraffin is OK and relatively safe.
cheers

+1
I never degrease parts that move on any machine (with solvent) unless they are off!
We all like shiny clean stuff, but not at the expense of leaving dry / water / solvent on rubbing surfaces............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Am I alone in not using any liquid when cleaning cogs? I use a Superdrug wipe in each gloved hand and wipe each cog separately.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

fausto99 wrote:Am I alone in not using any liquid when cleaning cogs? I use a Superdrug wipe in each gloved hand and wipe each cog separately.

No, on the rare occasions that I clean a cassette I wipe each cog with kitchen roll or rag.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I just wait until the muck can be pried of with a screwdriver.

I must admit reading this thread makes me realise what a good idea going for an IGH was - now if only I'd thought on and gone the whole hog with a belt too!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Brucey wrote:Solvent degrease of parts off the bike is a pretty safe bet. WS/paraffin is OK and relatively safe.
cheers

+1
I never degrease parts that move on any machine (with solvent) unless they are off!
We all like shiny clean stuff, but not at the expense of leaving dry / water / solvent on rubbing surfaces............

If done carefully as in my post above cassettes can be cleaned without any problems,the key word is carefully.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

When I can find them at the right price, I like the shiny SRAM ones, it feels like they shed muck easier, or it might just be that it's more rewarding giving them a clean. TBH that doesn't happen very often and I can't remember the last time I took a cassette off to do it. It'll usually just get a wipe and oil, as a rare treat it'll get a bit of detergent (Whatever is under the kitchen sink) scrubbed with a toothbrush (Not mine :twisted: ) and a gentle jetwash at the garage. Though to be fair, this isn't a bike that gets very dirty, I have an IGH for that.
There is also the relationship between cost and care - if I were to spend £50 on a cassette I would have more incentive to get the maximum possible use from it. I hate the throw away culture, but I'm also lazy :roll:
Spend more? Well I see the essential cleaning as part of the maintenance and yes I've spent more to lessen that. How much more? Well it was a prime motivator for a Rohloff...
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't mind spending more on things that don't get replaced very often, and cassettes fall into that category. I change the chains from time to time to avoid excessive wear, cassettes much less often and rings less often again. But then I reach a stage where I feel that a new chain will probably not run well on worn sprockets and rings and then I just run the whole lot into the ground. That's where I am now with that bike. The sprockets are looking tired and the chain rings are nearing the end of their long service, so I've just cleaned the lot and relubed ready to run it all through the winter. The new drivetrain parts are ready for installation in the spring, or when significant malfunctioning starts. For the moment it is all working fine so I'm squeezing the last of the toothpaste out of the tube.

Why don't cassettes rust? Mine don't. I know they are plated with something, but you'd think the chain would wear that away PDQ. If steel frames could be protected as well as that I'd be a lot happier with them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Your standard cassettes will rust if they are standing in damp air.............but normally they are always covered in muck / oil.
Better ones are better plated but of course better steel and probably don't corrode as fast.

If the teeth rust where plating's come off, this will disappear when you next use bike.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Your standard cassettes will rust if they are standing in damp air.............but normally they are always covered in muck / oil.
Better ones are better plated but of course better steel and probably don't corrode as fast.

If the teeth rust where plating's come off, this will disappear when you next use bike.

Not IME they don't last any longer than the cheaper ones and I'd need proof the plating is any better.
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

fausto99 wrote:Am I alone in not using any liquid when cleaning cogs? I use a Superdrug wipe in each gloved hand and wipe each cog separately.

No you are not.

There is absolutely no need for it as far as I can see.

Just get a rag, preferably with a reinforced edge (hence bits of old shirts with hems are ideal) and run it back and forth between the cogs.

Gets any grot out - whatever is left is purely a cosmetic (some would say OCD) issue.

On the Astonish engine degreaser, discovered that in one of the places where my bikes sit I actually already had some.

Definitely not bought online.

I think it must have come from a pound shop or somewhere similar.

I only ever use degreaser on chains (can't think of anywhere else that might need it) so it lasts ages.

This stuff looks handy and should last most folks a good few years:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 0wod_UAH2A
Sweep