Hi new member (fork problem)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tjm1986

Hi new member (fork problem)

Post by Tjm1986 »

Good Day

Hope you are all well I have recently got back into cycling after a 5 year hiatus and being on a budget have purchased two Halfords (dont laugh) bikes. One is a Carrera Crossfire 2 that I got on my workplace cycle to work scheme (I work in the ambulance service) and one is a Carrera Zelos roadbike. I have a question about the crossfire 2 it has suntour NVX forks fitted that have no lockout only preload adjustment when I turn the preload adjuster to increase the preload after several turns there is sort of a spring bonging sound coming from the forks am I right in assuming the forks have reached maximum preload? I am considering upgrading/downgrading the forks on this bike as I use it for a 24mile a day commute to work and find the suspension forks a bit of a hinderance as I am losing wattage through them. If they had a lockout it wouldnt be a problem. What do you guys suggest? Changing to a rigid fork if there is one available for this bike or upgrading the suspension forks to a set with a lockout.

Many Thanks

Terry
Brucey

Re: Hi new member (fork problem)

Post by Brucey »

I think you are right the sound does mean you have run out of preload adjustment. A common bodge is to back the preload off completely, remove the top cap, and introduce spacers so that the minimum preload is greatly increased. This then means that the fork move less all the time, which you may prefer when riding on the road.
Replacement forks are available of course.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

40 years ago we had the same problem with small motorcycle trail bikes. Common trick was to back off any adjustment then drop in an inch of sawn off handle bar. Bung the top cap on and jobs done. In your shoes thats the cheapest way. A rigid fork would be lighter. May have to check length in case it drops the front end a bit though.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Im sure i read about people putting wine corks (the plastic type) in the forks as an additional spacer. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Why do you think you’re losing wattage?
I am inclined to say that you are Blaming the Forks for Less than perfect cycling style.

I agree that most suspension forks are a bit cheap and nasty, if your folks are bottoming out try the mods listed above, Just watch for any change in handling.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Why do you think you’re losing wattage?

It requires energy for forks to bounce. That energy has to come from somewhere. It may not be significant. But many people think it is.

Tjm1986 wrote:I am considering upgrading/downgrading the forks on this bike as I use it for a 24mile a day commute to work and find the suspension forks a bit of a hinderance as I am losing wattage through them. If they had a lockout it wouldnt be a problem. What do you guys suggest? Changing to a rigid fork if there is one available for this bike or upgrading the suspension forks to a set with a lockout.

What tyres do you have on it? That's the first thing I would upgrade.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tjm1986

Post by Tjm1986 »

Hi all thanks for the responses I appreciate the feedback.

Whilst the wattage I am losing wont be significant I do have the bike fitted with full panniers as I carry all my work gear with me to and from work this includes my lunch safety boots and bike spares (tubes tools etc). The bike wieghs around 30kg fully loaded so any energy I can save for actual riding would be beneficial as I live in quite a hilly area so spend time stood up on the pedals getting up hills which induces quite a bit of front end bounce. The idea of spacers in the forks sounds like a great Idea and I am going to look into it at the weekend. The bike currently has the factory kenda tires fitted whilst they dont offer the lowest rolling resistance they have proven very resiliant to punctures I have ridden the bike nearly 750 miles without a single puncture. The plus side to all this is when I take the road bike out (I use it for pleasure riding and exercise only not commuting) even though its not particulary light for a roadie at nearly 12kg I can really make ground on it.

Regards

Terry