SRam shifters for drop bars, hydraulic 9 spd

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Racingt

SRam shifters for drop bars, hydraulic 9 spd

Post by Racingt »

Hi all,
Thinking of converting my 2006 Whyte 19 Team Racing to drop bars.
Unfortunately the 9 speed shifters and brake levers for hydraulic discs are really flat bar specific. I would like a setup as per a road bike.
I’m struggling here to find brake levers and shifters which will work hydraulic discs and operate 9speed. Probably cheaper to buy a new bike, I know, but it feels like there ought to be a solution out there somewhere.
Any ideas? Thanks
Racingt

Re: SRam shifters for drop bars, hydraulic 9 spd

Post by Racingt »

Hey, sorry if this topic has been covered many times...
RickH

Post by RickH »

I think you are going to struggle with 9 speed, I'm not even sure if there are/were many 10 speed hydraulic setups for drops - SRAM S-700 10 speed (2x10) is the only one I can currently think of. I can't think of a Shimano one.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the SRAM 10s and 11s road shifters both pull 3.1mm cable per click. If so that may mean that you can run an 11s shifter with a 10s RD/ cassette.

I can't think of a hydro STI that will work a 9s RD directly, but there are ones with a cable pull that might be convertible (via a suitable travel agent) to work a 9s system. Not sure if such TAs exist though.

BTW if you planning to keep the same brake calipers, you need to make sure that the new MC uses the same brake fluid as the present calipers.

Another thing you need to bear in mind is that with dropped bars you will probably want a slightly shorter stem than is fitted with the straight bars. This may or may not be possible/sensible on your bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

SRAM 10 and 11 interchange at road level and I think that most MTB matches as well but there are some new MTB "standards" about so check.
Hydro road brakes came in decades, nearly, after 10 speeds so I don't know of any 9 speed.
The wheels are the same so will take a 10 speed cassette, shifters can be bought second hand and front mechs often interchange. Maybe go 10 speed.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mattsccm wrote:SRAM 10 and 11 interchange at road level and I think that most MTB matches as well but there are some new MTB "standards" about so check.
Hydro road brakes came in decades, nearly, after 10 speeds so I don't know of any 9 speed.
The wheels are the same so will take a 10 speed cassette, shifters can be bought second hand and front mechs often interchange. Maybe go 10 speed.

Shimano introduced hydraulic STIs to their 10-speed range a couple of years ago. It's possible they will add them to a 9-speed Sora/Claris sometime in the future.
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Thanks guys, it looks a veritable nightmare. I understand the difficulty in doing this.
I'll stick with straights a bit longer (but I do hate them), save for a good gravel bike, maybe 1X. Or maybe consider the Jones H bars for a change, but, wow, aren't they expensive...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is of course possible to use cable STIs with some types of hydraulic caliper.

There are TRP HYRds, and others that work in a similar(ish) way. There is a Hope system that converts cable to hydraulic by having MCs under the stem and there is a Giant system that clamps to the stem faceplate (needs to match the stem though).

There is IMHO no such thing as a perfect hydraulic system and this goes double for any conversion/hybrid system. But some folks like either type.

For myself I quite like cable-operated discs, because they are simple/serviceable, and they work well enough for most road uses. Yes you have to adjust the brake pads but this means that they won't be likely to wear out without you noticing, which is surprisingly common with self-adjusting hydraulics.

cheers
PH

Post by PH »

Racingt wrote:Or maybe consider the Jones H bars for a change, but, wow, aren't they expensive...

If you go that route, there's some cheaper look-a-likes, the names escape me but I've seen them on this forum so worth a search.
Each to their own, but I've never found anything to hate about bars, yes like everyone else I have some preferences over others, but if I get everything else set up perfect it's a minor consideration.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

1/ If I am not mistaken, it's an MTB. Put drops on it even with a shorter stem and reach may well be too long.

2/ Fitting cable operated brake calipers is an option.
I should coco.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just bung some Avid BB7's on. I have those and SRAM hydros. They are a bit more fussy to keep in top working order, needing some pad adjustment but to be honest the performance isn't far off the the hydro when working well. Darn site cheaper as well.
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Right, I’ve had a ride, decided I really cannot abide straight bars, so I’m going to sell the bike. I’d rather do that than spend a fortune.
Resurrected a 1991 Scott Team Racing, which was on loan to my son, that has worn drops before, for Turin-Nice, with bar end shifters and cable operated v brakes. Will fit Ritchey Venturemax as soon as I buy another stem with 1 1/4 inch steerer.
Gears either 21 or 18, friction shift, let’s not worry about indexing. It’s only 27 years old so loads of life left yet.
If that doesn’t work, it’s another new bike.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you are happy with basic shifting and cable operated brakes, then a conversion to your present steed would not be expensive. A darned sight cheaper than a new bike, anyway.

cheers
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Bruce, I’ve got a bike with discs, DI2, 30mill tubeless etc, and it’s fantastic. The Scott will be a contrast!
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Does the frame have the right "reach" to give a comfortable position when fitted with drop handlebars and appropriate length stem?

Road bikes normally have shorter top tube than mountain bikes.

Numerous threads on this issue in the forum.